Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gamers Pushing HD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,215 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

"...users are turning more and more to their game
consoles as do-it-all home entertainment centers."

Retail BRIDGE:

Game Consoles Reshuffling HD Market

What's driving HD adoption these days? According to a study released earlier this week by market research firm IMS Research, it isn't HD set-tops and pay TV services. Instead, video game consoles, and specifically the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, are changing the overall HD market in new and largely unexpected ways.

"The HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc camps have both benefited greatly from the console market," said IMS analyst Paul Erickson. "The majority of the current blue-laser disc installed base is comprised of Playstation 3's and Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on drives, and this trend is likely to continue until standalone player prices drop well below current levels."

So, instead of running out to buy stand-alone Blu-ray and HD-DVD players, users are turning more and more to their game consoles as do-it-all home entertainment centers.

And that's not all. The expansion of downloadable HD content has also benefited from console sales. For example, sales at Microsoft's Xbox Live Marketplace, which offers a variety of pay video content that can be played back via the console, has eclipsed several other more established online video stores in less than six months. Why? Because it is easier to have one machine that does it all.

"The battle ahead will be interesting, given not only the price differential and inherent differences in product strategy, but also the significant role each console plays in the format war between HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc," Erickson said. "With their positioning as a single point of playback for disc-based, online, and in the case of the Xbox 360, networked media playback, these two products will change the role of consoles in the living room. Furthermore, this broader role is expected to diminish the already niche market for connected playback devices such as AppleTV and similar 'media extender' products."

http://www.mbc-thebridge.com - used with permission

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

I don't think it is so much "gamers"...

But the price factor.

I personally already owned an XBOX360...
So spending the $199 (which was actually $150 after 25% at bestbuy)

Was a LOT easier of a choice to go with the HD-DVD... then the $1000 (at the time) for a stand-alone Blu-Ray, or even $600+ for a PS3.

And again.. the argument doesn't really hold water, for the downloading of HD content.... just because the XBOX360 has the option to download is the "determining factor there"... right now there is no other way, unless you purchase more equipment.

So I don't think it has to do with the "gamers" out there... from a gaming sense... but the fact that a LOT of families spent a lot of money on these two units (XBOX360 and PS3), and there is more ways to get their money out of it.

IMHO... if it wasn't for the "inexpensive" cost for the PS3 for a Blu-Ray player... The arguments for BluRay "in the lead" would not be there.

As much as I like HD-DVD and HD content via the media formats.
I still have a VERY hard drive spending $25-$35 for the HD version of a movie, especially when the "SD" version is sub $20, sometimes <$15 or even <$10

And with upscaling in these players, the picture is good enough for classic library titles.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall