Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pixelation on "Dancing with the Stars"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   delkins

delkins

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

Has anyone else noticed an inordinate amount of pixelation (I don't know what else to describe it) when watching this show in HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cokeswigga

Cokeswigga

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

Has anyone else noticed an inordinate amount of pixelation (I don't know what else to describe it) when watching this show in HD.

Yes I noticed it too.. it was very bad... and my girlfriend was cursing dish and threatening to cancel it.

She blames me everytime it pixelates :mad:
-Dave

D500-110,D1000-119, 76cm-129, D500-148, 622, 510, 301

#3 OFFLINE   Twodozz

Twodozz

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:03 AM

Live shows (including sports) are compressed on the fly with real time encoding equipment. Plus they really pump the color saturation on that show which really pushes the encoders.

Pre-recorded programming and movies, especially in prime-time, are tweaked scene-by-scene and even shot-by-shot by compression "artists" who work for days or weeks optimizing the compression.

#4 OFFLINE   DANKEL

DANKEL

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

YEA WE'VE BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I AM WORKING WITH A NEW INSTALL 3 WEEKS OLD. SO FAR THE INSTALLERS HAVE BEEN OUT TO THE HOUSE FIVE TIMES(YEA THIS SUCKS) AND HAVE REPLACED THE 622 TWICE. ALSO HAVE REPLACED THE LNBS AND THE SWITCH. SOME PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN TRACED TO BAD WIRES AND SPLICES BUT THE 622 HAS A FRESH DROP FROM THE ROOF.

THE INSTALLER SAID THAT THERE IS A GOOD SIGNAL FROM THE DISH AND THAT SOME PIXELATION CAN HAPPEN ON THE LOCAL CHANNELS IN HIGH DEF. BUT THATS NOT WHAT I'M PAYING FOR.

AND CHANNEL SEVEN THIS MORNING BROKE UP AGAIN NOT HAPPY AT ALL:nono2:

#5 OFFLINE   signem

signem

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

Ever since I got my 622, I had pixelation problems with the local ABC HD channel. The other locals were ok most of the time.

I changed the settings to enable me to get my locals in either HD or SD. So, now I generally watch the SD channels. I think the signal for my HD lnb is not as strong as the other 2 LNBs on my Dish 1000. And, in addition to that, the ABC affiliate probably has equipment issues since NBC, CBS and FOX are much better.

#6 OFFLINE   DANKEL

DANKEL

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:30 AM

Well this is more than just a local channel issue. Since my orignial thread I have had several pixeliation issues on several different channels. I have seen it on even my SD locals. On Thurs I moved my 622 to a different location in my home using a different drop from the roof. Still the same problem. I installed a 322 at the other location and hooked-up a Tivo to it so that I could see if the pixelation problem happens at the same times on the same channels. So far this grand experement has had bad results for the 622. I still get pixelations on the 622! I called Dish this morning (not the installers) to find out if I am "considered a fringe area" (I am not) I read some other threads and I am thinking this is a problem that will not go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...