Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Renting house, 18 month comittment for hardware upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   goldenbear

goldenbear

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

It appears that dish won't budge on the 18 month commitment for an upgrade to a HD DVR, which doesn't work with the fact that I am renting a house currently - no way I am agreeing to an 18 month commitment when I can only get (and would only want) a one year lease on the house! I might have to drop down to comcast and their crappy HD DVR because of this because I just cannot take the regular Dish DVR. Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ericha

ericha

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

Take the DVR with you to the next house, if you end up moving?

#3 OFFLINE   Logan03CO

Logan03CO

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

Take the DVR with you to the next house, if you end up moving?

Exactly what I was thinking....

#4 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

It appears that dish won't budge on the 18 month commitment for an upgrade to a HD DVR, which doesn't work with the fact that I am renting a house currently - no way I am agreeing to an 18 month commitment when I can only get (and would only want) a one year lease on the house! I might have to drop down to comcast and their crappy HD DVR because of this because I just cannot take the regular Dish DVR. Any ideas?

Dish Network's DishMover program offers setup of a new dish and your existing rcvrs at your new address. :icon_cool

#5 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

Buy one.
Sell it if you no longer want it.
Bob, a novice in electronics.

#6 OFFLINE   goldenbear

goldenbear

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

I know I can move the dish with me.... but there are many places where a dish is not a viable option, so that does concern me. An 18 month commitment for an upgrade but no commitment upon sign up (it is essentially 6 months or you have to pay back the install cost). I could could cancel and have my roommate sign up, or go to direct or cable, all options that would cost dish $$$. I'm not trying to start a discussion of this business model... yeah the receiver goes for $400+ on ebay, so dish does have to get guaranteed $$ back, but since it is a lease, they do get the unit back for re-use if I leave, and at $100/mo billed, it not hard for them recoup.

The only question left is are there any ways to get the 622 without a 18 mo commitment? I do have the 211 and the DVR 625 so it's not like they won't get back some decent equipment. Argh its just frustrating trying to negotiate with the overseas call center.... is there an american based center where they might negotiate?

#7 ONLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

For a DIU, you are required to sign up for 18 months (overseas call center or american based) that is part of the deal. You other option is to buy the receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:21 AM

Let us know if you can negotiate lower prices with Dish.

I'd also like to have them provide me free equipment, and or lower fees for service.

owned 522
Bob, a novice in electronics.

#9 ONLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

Let us know if you can negotiate lower prices with Dish.

I'd also like to have them provide me free equipment, and or lower fees for service.

owned 522

And I would like them to give me all my programming for free, and a new car, and 100,000 shares of their stock, and...:rolleyes:

#10 OFFLINE   goldenbear

goldenbear

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:33 PM

Well i cannot find any information on teh dish website on the 18 month commitment on equipment. What kind of penalty is there for terminating early - such as after 12 months?

#11 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

Well i cannot find any information on teh dish website on the 18 month commitment on equipment. What kind of penalty is there for terminating early - such as after 12 months?

$13.33 per each month canceled.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...