Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DMA 29: Raleigh/Durham, NC

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

This is a complete list of the digital OTA channels generally considered to be part of the Raleigh/Durham DMA #29. I believe this list to be complete and accurate. If anyone has updates feel free to post a reply or PM me and I will update this post with any verified changes.

Notes:

• The Real Channel # is the actual broadcast channel, while the Virtual Channel # is what your HDTV or set-top box is most likely to display.
  • It may be possible to receive additional channels outside this DMA if you put up a large/high enough external antenna.
  • Your receiver may identify channels/sub-channels by the Network Affiliation instead of a station's call-sign. For consistency, I list the call-signs followed by the Description/Network affiliation. You should be able to easily identify the channels you receive by one or the other.

Real Channel #Virtual Channel #Station IDDescription/Network AffiliationResolutionGuide Info
254-01WUNC-TVPBS in HD1080iYes
4-02WUNC-KDPBS Kids480iNo
4-03WUNC-EXThe Explorer Channel480iYes
485-01WRAL-DTCBS in HD1080iYes
5-02WRAL-2THIS movie channel480iYes
1111-01WTVD-HDABC in HD720pYes
11-02WTVD-DT2Live Well in HD720pYes
11-03WTVD-DT3Live Well480iYes
1717-01WNCN-HDNBC in HD1080iYes
17-02WNCN-DTAntenna TV480iYes
2722-01WLFL-DTThe CW in HD1080iYes
22-02WLFL-DT2The Country Network480iNo
2828-01WRDC-DTMyNetwork in HD720pYes
4230-01WRAY-DTTCT480iYes
30-02WRAY-2TCT in HD1080iNo
30-03WRAY-3TCT Family480iNo
30-04WRAY-4TCT Spanish480iNo
3840-01WUVC-DTUnivision in HD1080iYes
40-02WTNC-LPUnimás480iYes
40-03WUVC-DT3Bounce TV480iNo
1547-01WRPX-DTIon in HD720pNo
47-02WRPX-DT2qubo480iNo
47-03WRPX-DT3Ion Life480iNo
47-04WRPX-DT4Shop @ Home480iNo
4950-01WRAZ-HDFOX in HD720pYes
50-02MeTVMeTV Memorable Entertainment Television480iYes

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 17 April 2013 - 06:13 PM.
Added 30-04

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:58 PM

There is a known issue right now with OTA channels 5-01 and 50-01 EPG data intermittently being unavailable to some customers. I do not have a ViP211 or 411 receiver, so I cannot verify this is true for those folks... but below is verifiable for customers with ViP622 receivers.

Customers with Dish1000+ antennas can currently receive channels 11 and 17 in HD via Dish network. Those are the only HD-via-satellite locals currently for this market. EPG data differs slightly when comparing channels 11 and 17 in HD with their SD counterparts, also available via Dish.

During times when OTA 11 and 17 channels EPG data matches the HD-via-satellite 11 and 17, there will be no EPG data visible for channels 5-01 or 50-01 OTA. The 5-01 and 50-01 OTA EPG data is only available when the OTA 11 and 17 channels EPG data matches the SD-via-satellite 11 and 17.

What is unknown at this time is why this happens. The problem has been reported to Dish, but no status for a fix has been communicated at this time.

Customers who DO NOT HAVE Dish1000+ antennas (and thus cannot receive the HD-via-satellite locals in this market) do not seem to have this problem.

#3 OFFLINE   cdub998

cdub998

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:28 AM

I can verify for the 211's also. I had one until recently that lost guide data. It seemed to lose it more than the 622.

#4 OFFLINE   dkelly701

dkelly701

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

I am glad to hear I am not the only one with the disappearing 5.1 epg. I just started service and had the 1000+ installed this week. I talked to a csr about the problem and was told that it was due to the intermitten lose of signal I was experiencing on the 118 satellite. I got the loss of signal problem corrected yesterday (04/14/07). I have not seen the loss of epg since last night but I will keep an eye on it.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:18 PM

I am glad to hear I am not the only one with the disappearing 5.1 epg. I just started service and had the 1000+ installed this week. I talked to a csr about the problem and was told that it was due to the intermitten lose of signal I was experiencing on the 118 satellite. I got the loss of signal problem corrected yesterday (04/14/07). I have not seen the loss of epg since last night but I will keep an eye on it.

I did not have the problem prior to my Dish1000+ upgrade... so about the only thing I can guess to is that there is a relation to the intermittent EPG info and seeing the 118.7 location.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:53 PM

Decided to be brave and update the chart since Dish uplinked the sub-channel EPG data again this afternoon.

We now (again) have EPG data for all the Raleigh, NC local channels available OTA except for 30.1 and 47.1-47.4

Dish does not carry even SD versions of those channels, so no surprise they are left out for the time being. 30.1 is Shop@Home so probably not a big loss there, though completion would be nice. Would be nice to have 47.1-47.4 since those are the Ion family of channels and sometimes there is some good programming on there if you know when to look.

FYI, for those following along... Still no addressing of the 5.1 and 50.1 disappearing guide data. I suspect we will not see this resolved unless and until either they reach a carriage agreement with WRAL/WRAZ OR give up and take their uplinks down. Hope to see these carried in HD on Dish, but if not would like to resolve the EPG problem.

Hopefully the EPG data for the subchannels added today stays this time. A few months ago Dish had them up, but had to remove them because of some problems found in the field apparently with some receivers not able to handle the data (speculation on my part as no official word was given). I decided to have faith this time and added to the chart!

#7 OFFLINE   cdub998

cdub998

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

Decided to be brave and update the chart since Dish uplinked the sub-channel EPG data again this afternoon.

We now (again) have EPG data for all the Raleigh, NC local channels available OTA except for 30.1 and 47.1-47.4

Dish does not carry even SD versions of those channels, so no surprise they are left out for the time being. 30.1 is Shop@Home so probably not a big loss there, though completion would be nice. Would be nice to have 47.1-47.4 since those are the Ion family of channels and sometimes there is some good programming on there if you know when to look.

FYI, for those following along... Still no addressing of the 5.1 and 50.1 disappearing guide data. I suspect we will not see this resolved unless and until either they reach a carriage agreement with WRAL/WRAZ OR give up and take their uplinks down. Hope to see these carried in HD on Dish, but if not would like to resolve the EPG problem.

Hopefully the EPG data for the subchannels added today stays this time. A few months ago Dish had them up, but had to remove them because of some problems found in the field apparently with some receivers not able to handle the data (speculation on my part as no official word was given). I decided to have faith this time and added to the chart!

Had a dish tech at my house yesterday because of switch problems. Asked him about 50.1 and 5.1 and he said it was a software issue and there was nothing dish could do about it. I just don't buy that one. :nono2:

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

Had a dish tech at my house yesterday because of switch problems. Asked him about 50.1 and 5.1 and he said it was a software issue and there was nothing dish could do about it. I just don't buy that one. :nono2:

I agree it probably is a software issue, but that means there should be something Dish could do about it. Gotta love those quick no-answers from people! ;)

As I see it, they have probably done all the testing they need to do with WRAL/WRAZ uplinks... so if they aren't going to have them "alive" they could just take down the uplink and I would almost put money on it that would fix our EPG problem. I never (as noted in this thread) had the problem until I added 118.7 to my setup... so if they cannot fix the software, the "easy" fix seems to me to be take down the uplink until they can actually turn on the channels.

#9 OFFLINE   dkelly701

dkelly701

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

I decided to report the 5-01 and 50-01 EPG data intermittently being unavailable bug to Dish just to get another complaint on the record. The CS rep. claimed there was no report of this issue in the system. I told him I was pretty sure that it had been reported but he said no. He took a report and said he would send it to engineering. He tried to send a service tech out but I insisted that it would be a waste of time so he didn't. The only time this is really an issue for me is when I lose the data just before a scheduled recording and it doesn't record. Frustrating. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem myself?

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:16 PM

Nothing you can do to solve the problem yourself, unless you take away the 118.7 location and sacrifice your WTVD/WNCN HD via satellite in the process. The problem has to do with WRAL and WRAZ being uplinked but not available while Dish negotiates to carry them. The receiver sees the channels, but no EPG data, and periodically fluctuates for some reason between displaying the EPG data it has and the data it doesn't have.

Taking away 118.7 would "cure" the problem... but so would Dish uplinking the channels OR taking them down while negotiating rights to carry.

I know I reported this through the beta team as part of the problems when they asked for forum members to volunteer for testing during the 4.0X releases earlier this year. I didn't get a direct response, but know they were reading the emails because they responded to lots of us on other issues.

The average CSR you speak to may or may not know of this problem since it only affects a couple of markets where Dish has similar partial HD locals uplinked to our area... so it isn't a "major" problem for them... but for us in the affected area, it is annoying.

#11 OFFLINE   dkelly701

dkelly701

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

I missed another recording due to the EPG dropout of 5.1. It is very frustrating. Everyone who is experiencing this problem and have not reported it lately please do so. Maybe if they get some complaints, they will fix it. It apparently would not be hard to do so.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:17 PM

Today Dish launched WRAL and WRAZ HD channels at the 118.7 location, I saw they were lit up a little bit ago but no HD on either channel for a few hours to check things out properly. I can check WRAL out at 4pm with a soap opera, but WRAZ will have to wait until primetime to check.

Right now no guide info for either channel, but this matches the 5.1 and 50.1 so that comes as no surprise. Hopefully when the guide populates for these new channels, our problems with the disappearing guide info will be a thing of the past.

More info and follow-up later when the guide info comes up and some time has elapsed to see how things shape up.

#13 OFFLINE   bhenge

bhenge

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

So far HD content looks good on both channels and guide data is properly data-filled but only for a few hours worth of content. So far, forcing the guide to update still only fills about 3 hours of content. I am just glad the wait is over and whatever contract issues held things up for what seems to be a year or more are past.
======================
Beam a little microwave to me!

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

So far HD content looks good on both channels and guide data is properly data-filled but only for a few hours worth of content. So far, forcing the guide to update still only fills about 3 hours of content. I am just glad the wait is over and whatever contract issues held things up for what seems to be a year or more are past.

I've checked here too, and am pleasantly surprised at the quality. I think if I squint I can see differences from the OTA quality, but by and large these are nice versions of both channels in HD.

I saw (see) the same thing you mention, about the guide... seems to not go out to 9-days yet, but I also haven't forced my receiver to take a new guide download. I figured I would wait an let my normal overnight download happen and see if that takes over. Could also be they haven't gotten complete info from the Tribune folks and didn't notice because these channels weren't live yet.

On the plus side, IF we have any guide problems now we have an easier road to complain and comment because it would be guide data on their provided HD channels and not just the OTA ones (since that is the guide data mapped). I strongly suspect our problems will be gone in short order if they haven't already been fixed by the launch of the channels by default.

#15 OFFLINE   dkelly701

dkelly701

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:52 AM

Checked mine this morning and the guide seems to be fully populated. As others have said, hopefully this has solved a most frustrating problem.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:35 PM

In case this is only affecting Raleigh, DMA... I started a thread in the Dish General forum because tonight while Dish has some satellite-provided locals off-air, for some reason my receiver will not let me view those same channels OTA either. The OTA channels are not off-air, but while the Dish satellite provided channels have them off-air, I cannot tune the OTA either.

I can watch, for instance, 11-1 and 4-1... but cannot watch 5-1, 17-1, 22-1, 28-1, or 50-1 via OTA because Dish has their satellite-provided locals flagged in the EPG as "off-air". Looks like OTA for those channels is disabled as well, which makes no sense.

FYI, I have another TV connected to a digital receiver that is not a Dish receiver, and those OTA channels are all available (not off-air) right now.

Here's the link to the Dish General forum thread I started for discussion in case this affects more than just our DMA: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=94379

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:58 PM

Not exactly new news as it was announced a few weeks ago, but I was slow to update...
I'm doing the heads-up now because I just scanned ahead to Monday 9/10 and see that the EPG reflects the changeover happening in the early morning hours on 50-02 OTA so if you want to watch some good old TV series, you can start firing timers now!

Here's a link to the article on the WRAZ home page:

http://www.fox50.com...ws/9498362.html

For Immediate Release
08/14/2007
Raleigh-Durham – The airwaves over Raleigh-Durham and surrounding cities will soon become home to a new broadcast network when WRAZ-DT adds the new RTN, “Retro Television Network”.

#18 OFFLINE   cdub998

cdub998

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

Not exactly new news as it was announced a few weeks ago, but I was slow to update...
I'm doing the heads-up now because I just scanned ahead to Monday 9/10 and see that the EPG reflects the changeover happening in the early morning hours on 50-02 OTA so if you want to watch some good old TV series, you can start firing timers now!

Here's a link to the article on the WRAZ home page:

http://www.fox50.com...ws/9498362.html

For Immediate Release
08/14/2007
Raleigh-Durham – The airwaves over Raleigh-Durham and surrounding cities will soon become home to a new broadcast network when WRAZ-DT adds the new RTN, “Retro Television Network”.

Is this going to cut into fox's bandwidth? Is my fox HD going to start looking crappy?

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:13 PM

Is this going to cut into fox's bandwidth? Is my fox HD going to start looking crappy?

No moreso than usual. WRAZ has had its bandwidth divided into 3 channels as far back as I've had OTA HD.

Used to be:

50-01 FOX HD
50-02 FOX SD
50-03 Weather

Now it is:

50-01 FOX HD
50-02 RTN
50-03 Weather

So I wouldn't expect any quality issues, unless you already had some.. in which case it would be the same as usual.

#20 OFFLINE   cdub998

cdub998

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:08 AM

No moreso than usual. WRAZ has had its bandwidth divided into 3 channels as far back as I've had OTA HD.

Used to be:

50-01 FOX HD
50-02 FOX SD
50-03 Weather

Now it is:

50-01 FOX HD
50-02 RTN
50-03 Weather

So I wouldn't expect any quality issues, unless you already had some.. in which case it would be the same as usual.

Thank god. I was expecting them to just add it as another subchannel.

spam firewall