Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DMA 29: Raleigh/Durham, NC

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

FYI, for anyone still looking at this thread... This year WRAL opted (thankfully) to not simulcast all 4 first/second round NCAA games at the expense of their HD main channel... so this year we got 2 games OTA, one HD and one SD.

I mention this because, it means 5-03 and 5-04 were not activated this year. I'm not sure if this means we will never see 5-03 and 5-04 again.. but it seems WRAL listened to their OTA HD viewers who wanted HD more than multiple games... so it may be possible that these last subchannels will never be seen again.

I'm leaving them in the chart for now, because I've heard nothing official to mark their demise, but we may actually never see them again so don't be surprised.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Mokanic

Mokanic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

I missed the other 2 channels this year. There were a couple of the teams this year I would like to have seen. I didn't care if it was SD or HD. Of course, I am close enough to Greenville's Channel 9 to flip over to their HD channel if I really wanted to see the "main" game in HD.
I e-mailed WRAL and their reply stated they have not decided if this will be the case next year. Oh, well to each his own. It will depend if Time Warner Cable made any money on the "exclusivity" deal w/ WRAL probably.

FYI, for anyone still looking at this thread... This year WRAL opted (thankfully) to not simulcast all 4 first/second round NCAA games at the expense of their HD main channel... so this year we got 2 games OTA, one HD and one SD.

I mention this because, it means 5-03 and 5-04 were not activated this year. I'm not sure if this means we will never see 5-03 and 5-04 again.. but it seems WRAL listened to their OTA HD viewers who wanted HD more than multiple games... so it may be possible that these last subchannels will never be seen again.

I'm leaving them in the chart for now, because I've heard nothing official to mark their demise, but we may actually never see them again so don't be surprised.

#23 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:03 PM

I missed the other 2 channels this year. There were a couple of the teams this year I would like to have seen. I didn't care if it was SD or HD. Of course, I am close enough to Greenville's Channel 9 to flip over to their HD channel if I really wanted to see the "main" game in HD.
I e-mailed WRAL and their reply stated they have not decided if this will be the case next year. Oh, well to each his own. It will depend if Time Warner Cable made any money on the "exclusivity" deal w/ WRAL probably.

I was one of the people last year pushing them to at least give us one HD game OTA. I hate Time Warner with a passion, and it irks me that because they have a direct fiber link WRAL can give them multiple feeds. I know the OTA bandwidth limitations, and while I agree there have been times when other compelling games were on, I can't really watch but one at a time anyway... so I "voted" last year that I'd rather just have 2 games with one in HD than 4 with none in HD for the entire first weekend.

Before CBS was doing all the games in HD, it was fine getting 4 simulcasts because you didn't miss out on HD... but once CBS started all HD, it was almost painful to watch knowing I could have been seeing in HD.

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:27 PM

Over on AVS Forum there was a post from the NBC Engineer who posts regularly there, and the gyst of it was that during the Olympics NBC-17 is going to shut off their 17-2 sub-channel for the duration of the Olympics. Also the bitrate on 17-3 is going to be minimized so that they can give the most to their 17-1 primary HD OTA channel for the Olympics.

I should have posted this yesterday prior to the start of coverage but it slipped my mind earlier this evening.

#25 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

Heads-up for those watching channel 4 via OTA, via this snippet from WUNC:

"Starting Sept 25, 2008 UNC-TV will be changing its configuration of digital services. It will provided UNC-TV in high definition, UNC-KD and UNC-NC in standard definition all the time. The switching back and forth between 8 and 11pm will stop."

Once this date comes and goes, and I verify the new channel lineup, I'll go back and update the chart at the top of this thread.

Good news for HD via OTA! Potentially bad news for fans of the channel that is being dropped (UNC-ED).

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

I'm still running with an indoor antenna setup consisting of a quarter-wave UHF omni-directional and a Terk directional antenna. This typically gets me reliably good reception for everything except channels 40 and 47, which fortunately I don't want to watch much anyway.

Well... just for fun I periodically rescan my locals to see if anything new comes in... and last night I was picking up channel 7.1 and 7.1 from Washington, NC at about 55-60 on my ViP receiver!

Didn't last long... and hasn't been back since... but it was pretty cool pulling in a station over 70 miles away with my indoor setup! So I left it in my scanned list (just not in my favorites) in case I ever put up a bigger antenna to pull it in for real.

FYI, I noted too that my Dish receiver ultimately populated the EPG info for 7.1 and 7.2 correctly even though I'm in the Raleigh DMA... so this is good news to me for if/when I potentially am able to pull in some more out-of-market OTA that the receiver will have EPG data for them!

#27 OFFLINE   cdub998

cdub998

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:40 AM

Cool. Ill have to try it. I have a channel master 4228 so maybe I can pick it up.

#28 OFFLINE   ENDContra

ENDContra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

Does anyone else have issues with 22-1 and 28-1? I have the VIP722, and for some reason both channels will come up as SD (not SD upconverted on an HD channel, but actual SD). Looking at the channels on TWC, they are in HD at the same time. Some nights, however, the OTA signal is HD. Is it possible my DVR is only finding an SD subchannel for these on some nights? Or are they only broadcasting in HD certain nights, while having a direct link to TWC so its always in HD?

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:48 AM

Does anyone else have issues with 22-1 and 28-1? I have the VIP722, and for some reason both channels will come up as SD (not SD upconverted on an HD channel, but actual SD). Looking at the channels on TWC, they are in HD at the same time. Some nights, however, the OTA signal is HD. Is it possible my DVR is only finding an SD subchannel for these on some nights? Or are they only broadcasting in HD certain nights, while having a direct link to TWC so its always in HD?

I can't compare to cable myself... but I have seen nights when I thought programming on 22.1 and 28.1 should have been HD but wasn't... I never think to check with my father and see if they are in HD on his cable.

Sometimes 22/28 have put SD in a widescreen image with black bars... other times I've seen them drop to just the SD broadcast and then my TV adds the grey bars to it, so I can tell when they are switching modes like that. I honestly don't watch much on either channel, so if they don't do it while I'm watching I could completely miss it. Did this happen on a particular program/night you remember?

I do know that WRAL/WRAZ and WUNC deliver different/unique feeds to TWC so it is possible to have a different "experience" from OTA than the cable channel. I do not know about the other locals, but it wouldn't surprise me.

#30 OFFLINE   ENDContra

ENDContra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:57 AM

Im going to hook my antenna up to my PC tuner card and see what it can find. The thing here is that, its an actual SD channel...so no pillarboxes or any of that...its plain old 4:3 broadcast...if you put it in the PIP, its obvious as it treats it like any other SD channel. Assuming TWC doesnt come to put the block on the basic cable channels (I have Roadrunner with them still), I still have the option of just watching via QAM, but would either have to watch live or use my tuner card to record....would much rather be able to use my DVR.

#31 OFFLINE   Mokanic

Mokanic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:46 AM

...Well... just for fun I periodically rescan my locals to see if anything new comes in... and last night I was picking up channel 7.1 and 7.1 from Washington, NC at about 55-60 on my ViP receiver!

Didn't last long... and hasn't been back since... but it was pretty cool pulling in a station over 70 miles away with my indoor setup! So I left it in my scanned list (just not in my favorites) in case I ever put up a bigger antenna to pull it in for real.

FYI, I noted too that my Dish receiver ultimately populated the EPG info for 7.1 and 7.2 correctly even though I'm in the Raleigh DMA... so this is good news to me for if/when I potentially am able to pull in some more out-of-market OTA that the receiver will have EPG data for them!

My mom's indoor OTA will pull WITN's digital signal. But, no matter where I put or tune the antenna, it will not get WNCT9.1. Across the county, with my indoor OTA, it's the exact oppostie. She lives ~8 mile east of Clayton and I am ~12 mile east of her. Go figure.
In eastern JC, I am able to pick up the Raleigh DMA and two of the four network stations down east. WITN-7 (NBC) and WNCT-9 (CBS) with an outdoor antenna. When I first hooked up the outdoor OTA, I was also picking up WCTI-12 (ABC) digital signal which was being broadcast on VHF 12 instead of UHF 48. But, I haven't been able to pick that digital signal up in over a year. 12's analog is an acceptable image to watch. Channel's 7 and 9 are fairly strong digital signals. It was good to watch down east during Hannah. WNCT-9 comes in handy when WRAL-5 preempts CBS programming for ACC BBall/FBall. I can still record them in HD at it's correct time.
I am now getting ready for the digital transition by figuring out which channels will be moving to VHF or UHF. I wish WRAL would move to a VHF instead of staying on UHF,as is being reported. During a thunderstorm, even with the antenna pointed in the optimum direction, their UHF signal is flaky. And when, the analog signal goes after next year, and they are still on UHF, it's going to be iffy for Wx info during a thunderstorm. May begin to rely on WTVD 11.1. I believe they are going to VHF after the transition. Much more stable signal.
Have to check out the post transistion signal strength to see if 7 and 9 will still be available. Didn't know that the signals from stations might be different.

Another note. HDMe, I looked your EPG chart again and remembered I can't pick up WUNC-4 digital transmission, even with my outdoor antenna. The analog signal is "clear". I have to rely on WUNK-25 our of Greenville for my PBS needs.

#32 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:37 AM

channel chart for Raleigh
analog pre post
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

I'm still considering an outdoor or at least in-attic larger antenna setup one day... Channel 4 is tough to get in some areas around here and I'm not 100% sure why... could be some obstructions or maybe they are not as omni-directional as they should be in their broadcast.

For the most part we'll probably be in wait-and-see mode to see how our reception changes in various areas next Feb. Since I'm in Raleigh I don't expect my situation to get worse, but certainly for folks farther away it could make a difference.

#34 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:29 PM

Channel 4 digital is difficult, 36 digital doesn't seem to be much better - they're both about 40 miles from my house. And yes, I have outdoor antennas (a CM4221 on a rotor, and a Radio Shack U75r pointing at Roanoke Rapids.

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

Late last night the changes took at channel 4 OTA...

I've updated the top post in this thread, but for reference again...

We now have ONLY:

4-01 PBS in HD
4-02 PBS Kids
4-03 PBS North Carolina

These are all 24 hr channels now, nothing offline from 8-11... The main channel will have HD, but I gather could still have some SD if they are airing a program not yet available in HD.. so it is not just a 24hr HD channel though I suspect it may always be in "HD".

The Dish EPG is predictably wrong due to this change as they are still mapping EPG data from the old config. I sent an email to Dish about this in hope they can correct soon. Until then, watch your timers because it will be hard to tell what is on when until Dish is back in synch with this new change.

#36 OFFLINE   Mokanic

Mokanic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:50 AM

Anyone noticed lower strength signal with WRAL-5?

In the last couple of days my signal strength is now running in the 60's. It normally runs 90+. All other channels are normal strength.

#37 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

In the last couple of days my signal strength is now running in the 60's. It normally runs 90+. All other channels are normal strength.

http://www.wral.com/.../story/3623178/

#38 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

Scooper posted a link... WRAL also ran a crawl sometime over the weekend as well about some tower changes and lower output until after Feb due to the changeover.

I haven't noticed signal change at my house, but then I am not that far away (maybe 10-15 miles) from the tower and get a strong signal anyway.

#39 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

Scooper posted a link... WRAL also ran a crawl sometime over the weekend as well about some tower changes and lower output until after Feb due to the changeover.

I haven't noticed signal change at my house, but then I am not that far away (maybe 10-15 miles) from the tower and get a strong signal anyway.

WRAL ran the crawl Several times over the weekend AND on Monday and Tuesday as well....

#40 OFFLINE   Mokanic

Mokanic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the info and the link.

I have turned my antenna in different directions, but it only gets worse. I'm about 15 miles from the "regular" tower.

I had not been able to watch TV until this morning. 14 hour shifts over the weekend.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...