Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DMA 29: Raleigh/Durham, NC

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Looks like Dish fixed the PBS OTA guide data this week. I haven't checked all the time, but noticed the change in the uplink this week in the thread elsewhere on this forum... then checked and all three (4.1-4.3) were accurate.

On a non-related note.. sometime late last night WRAL and WRAZ both seemed to be off-air. The SD sat channels were fine, but the HD sat ones were just a yellow screen and the OTA was registering no signal. Seems fine today, so maybe it was just overnight work by the engineers.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

As of yesterday morning no EPG info for PBS OTA 4.1 for some reason. Haven't been able to find out what is going on, but it just started yesterday that I noticed.

I assume everyone else in Raleigh DMA has noticed by now or will shortly, unless it is a receiver specific thing. My receiver is a ViP622 FYI.

#43 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:34 PM

Maybe that will be a one-time thing, as I notice today the OTA EPG seems to be back for 4.1 again.

#44 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

On a side note - my signal has dropped to unusability on WLFL22 -DT - looking at www.tvfool.com, I find they are currently at 9-10 kW on RF channel 57 - consider that most of the other channels out there are doing 500Kw up to 1M watts -
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#45 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

On a side note - my signal has dropped to unusability on WLFL22 -DT - looking at www.tvfool.com, I find they are currently at 9-10 kW on RF channel 57 - consider that most of the other channels out there are doing 500Kw up to 1M watts -

I have noticed some problems recently with both WLFL and WRDC. WRDC is substantially lower signal levels than a few weeks ago, but I don't watch often. WLFL is fine some nights and unlockable others. I couldn't watch Smallville last Thursday night at all... but the next day was back to full signal.

#46 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

Thanks to bjflynn04 and scooper for the info... In case the moderators don't decide to combine the thread, here's a link to the thread discussing possible impact to our Raleigh locals via Dish:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=147740

#47 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

Hello... I have an indoor antenna, and receive 5.1, 11.1, 22.1 and 50.1 very well:

Signal Strengths: CBS5.1 in 70's, ABC11.1 in 80's, FOX50.1 in 70's, and CW22.1 around 60.

My question is NBC11.1. My signal level hovers around 40, which is a crapshoot. My question is, will this get stronger once their Analog signal is turned of in Feb? Or are these signal strengths what I can expect going forward.

I live near Crossroads in Cary, so I'm definitely okay with having a OTA indoors I believe, except for the NBC station...

#48 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:34 AM

NBC is going to be on 17, if you can receive the analog 17 fine, you should be OK

#49 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

I believe channel 11 is going back to its VHF frequency in Feb, but all the others will be still somewhere in the UHF band. That might help you on channel 11 potentially.

#50 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:56 PM

I believe channel 11 is going back to its VHF frequency in Feb, but all the others will be still somewhere in the UHF band. That might help you on channel 11 potentially.

analog present post

#51 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

Looks like (based upon the uplink report) we will have WRAY (30) guide data now that Dish is carrying the SD channel. I'll wait and see if it sticks, since an overnight update will need to happen for EPG update anyway. Soon as that looks good I'll go back and update the top post to indicate the new data.

Only thing missing for us is the ION OTA channel and sub-channels guide data.

#52 OFFLINE   timhk

timhk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hello... I have an indoor antenna, and receive 5.1, 11.1, 22.1 and 50.1 very well:

Signal Strengths: CBS5.1 in 70's, ABC11.1 in 80's, FOX50.1 in 70's, and CW22.1 around 60.

My question is NBC11.1. My signal level hovers around 40, which is a crapshoot. My question is, will this get stronger once their Analog signal is turned of in Feb? Or are these signal strengths what I can expect going forward.

I live near Crossroads in Cary, so I'm definitely okay with having a OTA indoors I believe, except for the NBC station...

The tower for channel 11 is located about 100 yards from the tower that has 5,17,22,28,50. This may be the source of your problem

Edited by timhk, 01 January 2009 - 07:30 PM.
misspelled word

#53 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Several folks (myself included) are not seeing channel 50 or 17 in HD via Dish. OTA working fine, but not the HD via satellite.

No ETA, as Dish is just now being made aware of the issue... could even possibly (speculation) be weather related damage to the reception/uplink site since we had some local snow/ice and cold the last couple of days.

Will post again when it is fixed.

#54 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

Both 17 and 50 seem to be back this afternoon. Not sure what really happened, but seems to be fixed now.

#55 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

Durham, N.C. — FOX 50 (WRAZ-TV) announced the launch of a new, free, over-the-air movie channel Monday.

"THIS" can be found on Ch. 50.3 and on Time Warner digital cable Ch. 252. It will feature movies from the libraries of MGM, United Artists, Orion Pictures, Polygram, Cannon and Samuel Goldwyn Films.

Full article here.

WRAZ-TV and THIS are subsidiaries of Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc., owner of WRAL-TV and other media, sports and real estate properties.Copyright 2009 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved.

#56 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

I'm editing the first post of this thread to reflect the new channel 50.3, and the change to 5.2 that will now be both News and Weather OTA.

Of course the EPG data is wrong now on 50.3 as of today, but hopefully Dish will catch up with the changes.

FYI, I still have intermittent problems with 4.1 OTA EPG data on my receivers. Sometimes it is there, sometimes not. No word from Dish as to a fix for that problem.

#57 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Not sure when it happened, but sometime recently 17-02 OTA became Universal Sports.

So no longer an SD simulcast of NBC, but rather other sports programming. Right now happens to be Cycling.

The Dish EPG seems to be accurate on the programming change as well.

#58 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

Someone on AVSForum noted that 11-2 OTA is now 720p... I checked, and sure enough it is!

So I've updated the OTA chart now to list the resolution (480i/720p/1080i) for each channel/sub-channel in our DMA.

Here's a new discussion I started in the Local Television forum regarding Live Well HD, the new launched subchannel.

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 26 April 2009 - 05:17 PM.
Added link to more discussion

#59 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

Stewart: Is 17-1 coming through in HD for you? Anyone else? I am seeing a center-cut SD picture on NBC Nightly News on 17-1 OTA (and on DirecTV feed - yes, I know this is a Dish forum).
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#60 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

Stewart: Is 17-1 coming through in HD for you? Anyone else? I am seeing a center-cut SD picture on NBC Nightly News on 17-1 OTA (and on DirecTV feed - yes, I know this is a Dish forum).

I saw a thread on AVSForum earlier asking the same question. It sounded like 17-2 and 17-3 were working, as was the analog feed of 17 OTA... but some people noticed 17-1 OTA not working.

Checking myself just now... Dish SD feed appears to be working, HD has a "we know" slate... 17-2 is showing weather, instead of Universal Sports, 17-3 was a black screen, and 17-1 was center-cut as you noted.

I have not seen anything official on their Web site as to what happened. Maybe something glitched in preparing for Friday's cutover. I'll follow up if I learn anything.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...