Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DMA 29: Raleigh/Durham, NC

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

I saw a thread on AVSForum earlier asking the same question. It sounded like 17-2 and 17-3 were working, as was the analog feed of 17 OTA... but some people noticed 17-1 OTA not working.

Checking myself just now... Dish SD feed appears to be working, HD has a "we know" slate... 17-2 is showing weather, instead of Universal Sports, 17-3 was a black screen, and 17-1 was center-cut as you noted.

I have not seen anything official on their Web site as to what happened. Maybe something glitched in preparing for Friday's cutover. I'll follow up if I learn anything.

If I had to make a guess - I'd say something broke on the HD encoder path and the station changed the PIDs so 17-1 is showing "something", and just let 17-3 show "black" until they can get it fixed.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

Not much detail but: http://durham.mync.c...able-satellite/
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#63 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:15 PM

Recap -

WLFL /WRDC did their digital moves around 1200.

WTVD / WNCN did their analog shutdown / move their digital down to their analog channel around 1230

WRAL stopped analog / start analog night light / moved to 48 at 1255
WRAZ shutoff analog shortly after 1300

The Ion stations turned off analog sometime in that hour, but I don't exactly when.

#64 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

I updated the chart at the top of this thread to include the Real broadcast channel # as well as the Virtual PID info. Be aware that I already assume WUNC will be on channel 25, where they are supposed to be after tonight when they make the switch.

Also... Waiting to see what WRAL/WRAZ is going to do long-term. Right now "THIS" network is actually on 5-2 and not 50-3... but was on 50-3 and the Dish EPG still reflects this at the moment even though last I looked 50-3 was SD version of 50-1 broadcasts.

I'm not sure if 50-3 might go back to being Weather again or what.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#65 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

I forgot when it happened, but OTA 4-3 is now WUNC-EX "The Explorer Channel" so I updated the chart in the first post to reflect this change.

(4-3 was formerly WUNC-NC "PBS North Carolina")

Also.. since some folks have had troubles getting WUNC OTA since the digital cutover, they have applied for another channel (30) to put at the Garner/Clayton antenna farm. No word as to when/if that will happen... but when/if it does I will update the chart again to reflect the alternative way of receiving PBS OTA in our DMA.

#66 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

WUNC has raised their tower and put more power into their transmitter.

WTVD has applied for and been approved for a power increase. I think they have implemented it, but I can't say for sure on that.

#67 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

WUNC has raised their tower and put more power into their transmitter.

WTVD has applied for and been approved for a power increase. I think they have implemented it, but I can't say for sure on that.

I figure WTVD must have upped their power because my signal took a big leap a while back after hearing they had been approved for the increase.

As for WUNC... I get it now fine too once they had finished their tower work... but thought they were still pursuing the option of another channel to fill in the gaps in coverage.

#68 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

I was snoozing when 30-01 changed last year (around October is sounds like) from Shop@Home to TCT.

But, I accidentally discovered this morning that they now have a 30-02 subchannel as well that is broadcasting in 1080i.

I have not as yet seen any actual HD on that subchannel, though. So far it has just been strech-o-vision.

Also, right now the Dish EPG data is wrong/missing.

30-02 has no EPG data. 30-01 has EPG data BUT that data appears to be for what is actually on 30-02... and thus the 30-01 is truly missing data.

I'll update if I see Dish fix the EPG data at some point. Meanwhile, the chart in post #1 has been updated to reflect the change in content and the new HD subchannel.

I can't find a Web site for WRAY... but TCT has a Web site at www.tct.tv if you're interested in what they are all about.

#69 OFFLINE   smngm2

smngm2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

5.2 THIS movie channel

I live in North Raleigh and seem to be able to receive most all of the OTA channels in our area though a few require some dilligence with my antenna. The one exception has been THIS channel on 5.2. I receive WRAL on 5.1 with a very strong and clear signal but can't pick up 5.2 at all. For those of you able to pick up this channel, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Gene

#70 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

Unless there is something screwy with your OTA tuner - if you can see 5.1, you should also see 5.2. I'd try doing a rescan of the affected tuners.

#71 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

What receiver/tuner are you using that you have trouble with 5.2?

Scooper is about 99.9% correct that if you are seeing 5.1 you should have 5.2.

I leave the "0.1%" because I have actually seen a problem before on Dish receivers where an OTA channel might scan but not show up or be tunable... so it is theoretically possible you could have a receiver/tuner glitch at play.

#72 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

I noticed recently that 47 seems to only have 3 subchannels now... so I deleted 47.4 from the chart in post #1.

I've seen people in some markets say they have ION in HD, but I haven't seen that yet here in Raleigh. IF anyone ever sees 47.1 in HD, please let me know and I'll modify.

I have trouble getting this channel OTA reliably, so that's why I was slow to notice the dropped 47.4 channel.

#73 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

I noticed recently that 47 seems to only have 3 subchannels now... so I deleted 47.4 from the chart in post #1.

I've seen people in some markets say they have ION in HD, but I haven't seen that yet here in Raleigh. IF anyone ever sees 47.1 in HD, please let me know and I'll modify.

I have trouble getting this channel OTA reliably, so that's why I was slow to notice the dropped 47.4 channel.

Yes it is in HD now - (720p) -
However, I can't see it's southern cousin.

#74 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:10 AM

Yes it is in HD now - (720p) -
However, I can't see it's southern cousin.

Thanks.. I'll update the chart, and maybe one day I'll even get to watch it in HD!

#75 OFFLINE   smngm2

smngm2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

What receiver/tuner are you using that you have trouble with 5.2?

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a 722 receiver and I have rescanned. The channel shows up in the guide as yellow and displays current content (at least, content that agrees with what WRAL's website shows for the channel).

I'll play with it again tonight to make sure this isn't an operator error :rolleyes:

Thanks.
Gene

#76 OFFLINE   smngm2

smngm2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

I rescanned two times last night with no success. Tried a third time expecting to call Dish afterwards and it worked. I've made no changes to the antenna, connection, or receiver and have probably scanned 15 times or more over the last couple of months. I don't know what the issue was, but I'm glad I can finally pick up the channel.

Thanks.
Gene

#77 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

Glad to hear it, though I'm sure I'm as clueless as you at this point as to what was the problem.

I suppose it is possible that channel 5 itself was having a broadcast issue, and those of us with the channel already scanned might not have noticed. Every one in a while the channel ID data gets funky and they have to tweak something.

I have had channels some nights that will lose their "virtual" channel and revert to the actual broadcast channel # instead... but that doesn't happen very often.

#78 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

Removed 50-03 from the chart in post #1... the SD-FOX sub-channel seems to be gone for good now.

If it (or something else) comes back, and I don't notice, please let me know.

#79 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:54 PM

FYI, Dish seems to have done us the favor of screwing up our PBS OTA EPG again...

They now have both 4-2 and 4-3 showing the same EPG data for the UNC-EX channel... whereas 4-2 should of course be showing UNC-KD programming.

Not sure when this will be fixed, but I let them know about it as soon as I noticed. Here's hoping it is a priority, because anyone with kids is probably missing some recordings from 4-2 now!

#80 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

Added the new 22.2 Country Music video sub-channel to the chart in post #1.

Also, here's an update of what channels have wrong or missing OTA EPG data:

4.2 continues to have UNC-EX data instead of UNC-KD data.
22.2 does not yet have proper data.
30.1 continues to have data for what is actually on 30.2
30.2 does not yet have proper data.
47.1 does not yet have proper data.
47.2 does not yet have proper data.
47.3 does not yet have proper data.

While these have all been reported to Dish, there has been no movement as yet to address any of these known EPG issues for our OTA data problems.

spam firewall