Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals without HD Package

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scout12

scout12

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

Hi everyone I recently made the switch from DTV to Dish to get the 622 receiver. I am currently paying for the $20/month HD package and getting HD locals over the sat. HD locals are not available OTA from my house. My question is if I drop the HD package will I continue to get the HD locals over the sat?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:01 PM

You will need to buy your receiver and pay a $6.00 fee for not subscribing to a HD package. I believe they leave HD locals active if you do this.

If you are leasing your receiver you won't be able to drop DishHD without breaking the lease.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   scout12

scout12

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

You will need to buy your receiver and pay a $6.00 fee for not subscribing to a HD package. I believe they leave HD locals active if you do this.

If you are leasing your receiver you won't be able to drop DishHD without breaking the lease.

What do you mean by breaking the lease? I signed up without signing a contract. How would I know I was breaking the lease?

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

How much did you pay for the receiver? If it was $199 (likely with a rebate) or less it is a lease with a programming commitment.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

The 622 receiver has a $6/month HD Enable fee, but that fee is waived while you subscribe to DishHD. You will be able to drop DishHD at any time you want without having any effect on your lease agreement. Of course, the $6 HD Enable fee will no longer be waived. That will allow you to continue to get the OTA digital channels ("HD locals"). You do have to subscribe to sat locals to get the EPG info for the digital locals.

There is no requirement in DISH lease agreements to subscribe to DishHD - just to subscribe to DishFAMILY or better programming for 18 months.

#6 OFFLINE   jscudder

jscudder

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

My question is if I drop the HD package will I continue to get the HD locals over the sat?

Yes, you only need to subscribe to the locals. The HD locals come along with the SD locals at no extra cost.

#7 OFFLINE   mhowie

mhowie

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:44 PM

Yes, you only need to subscribe to the locals. The HD locals come along with the SD locals at no extra cost.

Unless, of course, Dish refuses to make them available (unlike DirecTV). I speak about the Indianapolis locals... and I bet there are other cities which are treated similarly.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:33 AM

Plenty ... E* seemed to hit a wall last year with HD locals and is nowhere near where we expected them to be. No explanation other than negotiating with stations can be a pain. D* doesn't have all four networks in every market - in some markets stations won't allow their HDs on cable systems either (without huge payments). Hopefully as time goes by stations will be more willing to share their signals and E*'s gambit of waiting for a good deal will pay off.

#9 OFFLINE   rjs

rjs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hi everyone I recently made the switch from DTV to Dish to get the 622 receiver. I am currently paying for the $20/month HD package and getting HD locals over the sat. HD locals are not available OTA from my house. My question is if I drop the HD package will I continue to get the HD locals over the sat?

What area of Nebraska are you located?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...