Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PJStar.com: "Blackouts give DirecTV a black eye"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

Forgive me if this ground has been covered, but a very simple fix would be to have 'home territory' maps with zip codes on each providers, sports authority and content creators (original broadcaster) websites. With this information consumers might actually be able to make an informed buying decision, but I don't think that is what any of these groups actually want. I made this suggestion to D*, the NHL and the Nashville Predators when I lived in Nashville (they were constantly messing up the Predators games) but I have never seen even an attempt at this.

I think that would get pretty convoluted and confusing though.

Take for instance where we live.... FSN Bay Area is the RSN for Giants and A's games and covers not only the bay area, but a good portion of central/northern california, including Sacramento. Unless, of course, the Warriors are showing on FSN, in which case, they do NOT have the rights to broadcast within Sacramento because that is Kings home territory....

SO different sports have different rules, regions, etc, etc.... And out here, we're pretty spread out. I would think that things could get even more confusing someplace like the Eastern sea board, where you have several states packed into a small area, and alot more teams in a small area than you do out here...

Then there are situations like the Cardinals deal in this thread... There are apparently areas claimed by multiple teams and the provider decides what the "primary" team should be and transmits the RSN accordingly... From what I understand from reading some other threads, there are also areas in this region that are not claimed by ANY of the Major League teams. FSN MW won't broadcast cardinals games to those markets because they're "out of market". EI also does not broadcast to those areas because the game is carried on the RSN...

Blackout rules are kind of screwy to begin with... but with so many hands in the cookie jar, I don't really think there is an "easy" solution to get it squared away. Sure it would be great if every RSN, Sat/Cable provider, team, etc. had a black and white map displaying where things would show... The problem is that it's not black and white - there's a whole lot of gray, and whoever is interpreting that gray is going to do so in a way that's most favorable to them...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   BJM

BJM

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:49 PM

An individual subscriber would probably end up being required to pay DEARLY!!! for this, since it would have to be added as an "exception" clause to every sports distribution contract written. In addition, the "rights" of the little local stations would have to be considered, and the games shown *over* their typical dominance, since it's easy to accidentally black out.

It may become feasible once teams see YES and other team-owned channels doing well.

Yeah, it wasn't the $$ I was concerned about, it was just the concept that if I wanted the right to watch every Devil Rays game, the whole blackout/territory process would have to become way more streamlined than it is now. Because of the "exclusive" windows, and the sheer number of games, it's convoluted in baseball.
THR-22 (3/2012 - DirecTiVo) | 720p Pillar Box
HDMI to Panasonic 32" LCD | No OTA
Network: Mac OS 10.7.3 <-> Belkin router <-> WGA600N wireless adapter
Live TV rarely, trickplay often (esp. 30sec slip) | ~ 30 shows in Season Pass
DirecTV since 12/2004
[previous HR20-700 12/2006-3/2012]
[retired: TiVo Series 1 (!), 150+ hrs., 1/2000-1/2007]
Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto DMA

#43 OFFLINE   lewah33

lewah33

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:38 PM

Understand where you're coming from...though I don't attribute any nefarious motives to the CSRs in general -- just incompetence when it comes to dealing with sports blackouts.

And in my experience the customer service grass is a lot less green with other providers...but YMMV.

ok, lemme clarify. I don't think the CSRs are evil. I think D* doesn't train them adequately, so they are not adequately prepared to answer customer questions. When things go badly, you then have to fight or pay to get out of a contract. Many just give up.

#44 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

ok, lemme clarify. I don't think the CSRs are evil. I think D* doesn't train them adequately, so they are not adequately prepared to answer customer questions. When things go badly, you then have to fight or pay to get out of a contract. Many just give up.

Gotcha...and agreed.

#45 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:52 AM

I think there are 2 issues on the table. One is FSNMW's power play, trying to get their FSN on the basic tier. The other issue is D*'s deceptive or incompetent customer service staff.

Fact is, D* doesn't train the people who answer the phone well enough, so they cannot provide accurate service, and D* ends up with PR problems like these. Someone in El Segundo did a cost benefit analysis, and figured it would be cheaper to pay back customers who complain vehemently than to give accurate information.

Its a simple business decision. Its nefarious, and it is the reason I will leave Directv the minute they no longer have the NFL exclusive.

Actually, having worked in the CSR biz, I can tell you the cost-benefit comes in to play when you have outsourced call centers with CSRs who stick around a few months after training, then go away. More training before handling calls leads to "professional trainees" being attracted...people who hop from one call center to another, sticking around for the paid training, then not showing up for work the day they begin to take calls.

D* is combatting this by opening more in-house call centers, but even there, the same problems apply.

And you see the same article quotes a cheap price for a competitor...which is, after all is said and done, what draws the most customers...price.

And say what they might, few people would pay $20 extra a month for perfect customer service when they call in.

So few, D* would go out of business.

People scoff at titanium's hefty price, but theos customers pay for that operator who picks up on the first ring and is 100% trained and capable, the installer who fixes any problem the next day or sooner...those are the few people who are willing to pay for it.

Wal*mart is successful in large part because they provide poor (cheap) customer service compared to the small stores they put out of business.

people flock to wal*mart for it's low prices. they're not willing to pay for better service.

when americans decide to base a choice in pay-tv entirely on the customer service, and disregard price, they'll get it.
....Not Purchased.

#46 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

According to the lastest post(12APR07) on the OP link to PJStar, the blackout has been lifted. Can anyone confirm this?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#47 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

I live in the General LaCrosse area. But with my zip code I cannot get both the Twins and Brewers games. Why? CABLE has them both on BOTH SIDES OF THE RIVER. all on FSN NORTH OR WISCONSIN depending upon what day of the week it is.
and I don't get the full compliement of FSN Wisconsin even though I pay the same amount of money for the channel as my fellow fans across the river ,who do get all the Viking and Minneapolis information..

WHY NOT? Why can I not get what cable in my area is offering? Who is lying to who here, and as we have seen D* doesn't give two flips about it.. BUT they want my money each and every month. Yet had I posted a New Albin, Iowa zip code of less then 20 miles as the crow flies. I could get all the Chicago teams, the St. Louis teams, The Twins and the Brewers as well. Just because of 20 miles. AND under various instances the same competiting cable company serves this same town.

Its a giant lie by Directv. and all they care about is, IS YOUR BILL PAID. and nothing else.

#48 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:18 PM

I live in the General LaCrosse area. But with my zip code I cannot get both the Twins and Brewers games. Why? CABLE has them both on BOTH SIDES OF THE RIVER. all on FSN NORTH OR WISCONSIN depending upon what day of the week it is.
and I don't get the full compliement of FSN Wisconsin even though I pay the same amount of money for the channel as my fellow fans across the river ,who do get all the Viking and Minneapolis information..

WHY NOT? Why can I not get what cable in my area is offering? Who is lying to who here, and as we have seen D* doesn't give two flips about it.. BUT they want my money each and every month. Yet had I posted a New Albin, Iowa zip code of less then 20 miles as the crow flies. I could get all the Chicago teams, the St. Louis teams, The Twins and the Brewers as well. Just because of 20 miles. AND under various instances the same competiting cable company serves this same town.

Its a giant lie by Directv. and all they care about is, IS YOUR BILL PAID. and nothing else.

I think you must have posted another thread somewhere on the same thing.

Thanks your congressman for different rules that satellite must follow vs. cable.
But other then that, the sports leagues the the teams are the ones that tell DirecTV and Dish what zip codes and see what teams. Your beef is with the teams and the league.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...