Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problems With HR20 Keybounce

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you have keybounce or double-tap issues with your HR20 remote? (135 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have keybounce or double-tap issues with your HR20 remote?

1. Yes, this occurs often. (82 votes [60.74%])

Percentage of vote: 60.74%

2. Yes, it occurs, but infrequently. (22 votes [16.30%])

Percentage of vote: 16.30%

3. No problems here. (31 votes [22.96%])

Percentage of vote: 22.96%

Vote

#61 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:08 PM

Curious about others' experiences. This problem seems to be getting worse over time. Has anyone gone thru a reboot or a reprogramming of the remote, or a switching b/w RF & IR that cured this problem, or at least reduced the frequency of the "keybounce."

It's getting real annoying, & I'm been looking for D* to provide a quick fix to this problem. TIA.

Worse over time?
Nope, comes out of the gate bad for me in RF, and acts just as bad 2 weeks later.

Gone through reboots?
Lots, and same RF keybounce always comes back immediately.

Reprogram the remote?
Yep, and same RF keybounce always comes back immediately.

Switching between RF & IR?
IR has zero keybounce for me.
RF always has keybounce for me.

Reduced frequency of the keybounce?
Nope, nothing I do reduces the frequency of it.

Quick Fix coming?
If it was a "quick fix", I suspect it would have already been cured.
SInce it's not fixed, I suspect this is a tough problem.

Why?
Don't ask me, never heard of another satellite receiver doing this.
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:53 PM

I've had my HR20 for just about a month. I started out using RF, since I have the HR20 behind a door. The keybounce problem was terrible (every 4 or 5 key press was repeated). I then tried IR to RF conversion through a set of Powermids I had laying about, and keybounce was no better (in fact, it may have been worse). I recently (4 days ago) installed a Xantech wired IR repeater module and have had ZERO keybounce since then.

It may simply be that the HR20 is sensitive to irregularities in the command signals and in some environments, RF transmission introduces more irregularities than in other environments. I also noticed that if I put the Powermid receiver near the HR20 its receive LED was flickering almost constantly. By moving it a few away from the HR20 the flickering stopped. Apparently, the HR20 produces a fair amount of localized RF interference itself.

#63 OFFLINE   tucker301

tucker301

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

Good information, Titan!
I think the consensus is that there are some problems with the receiver in RF mode, at least in some environments.

Since I switched to IR, the problem has abated completely.
I just have to make sure I'm pointing the remote at the receiver now.

Kinda sucks that it won't work the way IT'S SUPPOSED TO in RF mode.

#64 OFFLINE   squawk

squawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:53 PM

Thanks all. I can live w/o RF for the present since my HR20 is presently behind some class. But I thought I read some prior post where a user said switching IR did not solve the problem. Guess I have to try it out for myself.

If keybounce is in-fact a "bounce," inplying its an RF problem, then switching to IR mode should not just "mitigate" the problem; it should eliminate the problem. Will have to determine this for myself.

In the meantime, D* engineers should be working to fix this problem. I don't understand why this problem has occurred in the first place. Never had a problem with the H20's RF, nor the RF of my 6-year old Sony A-55 receiver. Sorry, but some of these bugs seem inexcusable.

#65 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:12 AM

I have found that if I hold my hand over the remote on the sides that it works better not perfect but better.

#66 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:46 AM

Curious about others' experiences. This problem seems to be getting worse over time. Has anyone gone thru a reboot or a reprogramming of the remote, or a switching b/w RF & IR that cured this problem, or at least reduced the frequency of the "keybounce."

It's getting real annoying, & I'm been looking for D* to provide a quick fix to this problem. TIA.

Only experienced bounce with the RC34 in RF mode.

Don't have bounce in IR mode.

Don't have bounce with MX-700 currently in use.

Bounce in RF mode has been the same in each software version (0x120 through 0x145; 02FEB07 to present).

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#67 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:54 AM

Good information, Titan!
I think the consensus is that there are some problems with the receiver in RF mode, at least in some environments.

Since I switched to IR, the problem has abated completely.
I just have to make sure I'm pointing the remote at the receiver now.

Kinda sucks that it won't work the way IT'S SUPPOSED TO in RF mode.

I hear ya. I was a little surprised at how touchy the HR20 at receiving commands from the RC34 in IR mode. The ol' peanut didn't need to be pointed directly at the receiver and it was in the same location as the HR20 is now. Maybe it's a little under powered in IR and that's why it doesn't have key bounce issues.

I've found that my MX-700 universal remote doesn't need to be pointed directly at the receiver to work. I can leave it on the coffee table(mines full of mags, mail, junk) pointed any old way and it works. I think that most of the programmable remotes are powerful enough to do this.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#68 OFFLINE   SoCool

SoCool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSouth West Florida

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:19 AM

My situation is a little different. At times when pressing the channel button on remote, on both of my units, channels will start to change and keep changin until I press the button again. It will cycle through all of the channels. Thought it was the remote, but it is definately the box. Can be annoying at times.
By the way both units are in IR mode.

4-HR24 100's, 2-H25 100's, connected Whole Home,

Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D LC60C8470U
Philips 42" Plasma w/Ambilight 42PF9630A/37, Magnavox 42" LCD 42MF531D/37,
Magnavox 42" LCD 42MF521D/37,
Sony STR-DE935, Bose AM-7, Bose AM-5,Yamaha YST-SW160 sub
2-Sony PS3
Sony BDP-N460 BD-DVD
Sirius Radio's: 3
DIRECTV subscriber since 1996, Premier Pkg

#69 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:31 AM

I've had my HR20 for just about a month. I started out using RF, since I have the HR20 behind a door. The keybounce problem was terrible (every 4 or 5 key press was repeated). I then tried IR to RF conversion through a set of Powermids I had laying about, and keybounce was no better (in fact, it may have been worse). I recently (4 days ago) installed a Xantech wired IR repeater module and have had ZERO keybounce since then.

Great Info. Thanks Titan

I am hoping this helps me as well. I'll post my results

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#70 OFFLINE   raw6464

raw6464

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

D* sent me a new... ah I mean a rebuilt HR20 :biggthump in response to my complaining of keybounce. The rebuilt one is worse... :shrug:
1-DVR HR20
2-DVR R10
1-Hughes DVR40
50" Panasonic Plasma TV

#71 OFFLINE   High Technology

High Technology

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

I had terrible keybounce with RC34 (in the same room as HR-20), but no problem with RC32RF (in the kitchen one floor below) -- always used in RF mode due to the HR-20 feeding the small kitchen set too.

I tried swapping the two remotes around to see if it was environmental, and found that the RC34 was less capable of controlling the HR-20 from a distance. However, keybounce still occured.

So, either the RC34/HR-20 combination is the problem, or my RC32RF just plays much nicer with the HR-20...
HR 20-700 (750GB eSATA) to Toshiba 56" RPTV -- Family Room
HR 20-700 to Sony 40" 1080p LCD -- Master Bedroom
HR 20-100 to Samsung 40" 1080p LCD -- Kids Playroom
AT-9 to Zinwell 6x8
Family Room / Master Bedroom HR20s networked via separate ZyXEL P-330W routers in Bridged Client mode.

#72 OFFLINE   blufkin

blufkin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

I just got my HR20 2 days ago to replace my HR10. Started off with RF and maybe 60% of the time my keystrokes register. So I push and push and then bounce. When I hit a key the remote light blinks but the HR20 light blinks only when the command is carried out.So does the remote light blink with every input and not send intermitently or does it send always and HR20 not recieve.I switched to IR and it works as it should but still a few bounces.

#73 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:28 PM

This has become the most annoying bug in the HR 20 for me in the last few months. I don't remember the software upgrade where the problem began but it was approximately 3 or 4 months ago. RF is worse, but it's still a problem in IR. And it definitely wasn't a problem a few months ago. Something in the software has changed to make this worse.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#74 OFFLINE   Monty23

Monty23

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:31 AM

This has become the most annoying bug in the HR 20 for me in the last few months. I don't remember the software upgrade where the problem began but it was approximately 3 or 4 months ago. RF is worse, but it's still a problem in IR. And it definitely wasn't a problem a few months ago. Something in the software has changed to make this worse.

Try changing the batteries in your remote. I found it makes a huge difference. Your batteries may have just been at the end of their life when the lastest software came out. The problem will never go away completely, but is far less with fresh batteries. Also, as stated above, I have also found the RC32 to be superior to the RC34 the unit came with.

#75 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:40 AM

I just got my HR20 2 days ago to replace my HR10. Started off with RF and maybe 60% of the time my keystrokes register. So I push and push and then bounce. When I hit a key the remote light blinks but the HR20 light blinks only when the command is carried out.So does the remote light blink with every input and not send intermitently or does it send always and HR20 not recieve.I switched to IR and it works as it should but still a few bounces.

I've found the same exact thing with my 3 week old HR20. I 've tried extending the antenna, shutting off all other wireless devices, putting in new batteries and moving the HR20 around as much as I can. All these fixes failed to address the problem. I've gone back to using IR. Maybe a future software fix will help. Otherwise I'm stuck with IR :nono: :mad:

#76 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:48 AM

Had the bounce problem on all three units using RF. No problem when we start using the Harmony remote in IR mode.

#77 OFFLINE   tivoboy

tivoboy

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:19 PM

So, I had this problem really bad, but what I did to reduce it, was cover up the RF transmitter with some electrical tape, and now only the RF can possibly send commands. And, it worked, I think I really reduced any keybounce.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...