Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish, when is digital sub-channel guide data coming back ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:29 AM

It's been a while since Dish pulled the sub-channel guide data for (most) customers. Is anyone with a 622 still receiving the data ??

Any word on why it was pulled ?? Any chance of it coming back ??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:39 AM

... Is anyone with a 622 still receiving the data ?? ...

We're in the DC area and my wife's 622 continues to receive the program guide info for the sub-channels.

#3 OFFLINE   FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

I wish soon!

It's not terrible to do a week's worth of manual timers at once for my PBS HD subchannel, but i now have two weeks of 'Digital Service' recordings (some up to 3 hours in length) and I have no idea what each of these recordings contain. I'm going to have to put a clipboard with the contents in the den for reference.

Call/harrass Dish!

#4 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:20 AM

Call/harrass Dish!

I think they deny that it ever existed, let alone the fact that some people still have the data.

#5 OFFLINE   FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

I think the folks that still have any/some subchannel data live in the very few areas where Dish actually does provide subchannel data (Orlando, FL, for example). The folks on DBSTalk that I've PM'd with who have the sc data end up living in areas that are on the EKB 'Digital Sub-Channels'/'Virtual Channels Chart'.

I'm on a mini-mission to get epg for subchannels back, so i chat with anyone i can on this topic.

#6 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

As you know, for a matter of days (2-3 ??), Dish had a huge number of sub-channel guide data available. In fact, I waited weeks for it.... Checked the uplink reports every week. When Dayton's sub-channels were finally added, a huge number, including mine, got removed within days. Arghhh ! Since then, there's been almost NOTHING on this.

#7 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:05 AM

Since some were just added back this week, let's bump this....

#8 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:35 AM

Since some were just added back this week, let's bump this....

My wife's 622 continues to receive the sub-channel guide info here in the Washington, DC, suburbs.

#9 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, some areas got it never lost it.... I think reports that it caused "memory" problems with certain (older ?) receivers couldn't be correct.

#10 OFFLINE   585960

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

over he'ah, they just came back!!!

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,670 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, some areas got it never lost it.... I think reports that it caused "memory" problems with certain (older ?) receivers couldn't be correct.

You are not looking at the big picture.

The EPG contains every channel ... even the ones you cannot receive in your area. Even though you will never see more than 300-500 channels in your guide (if you have the right dishes) there are thousands of real channels on the system.

Your receiver has to sort through ALL of that data to create your EPG. Most is discarded during download (otherwise new channels turned on would have complete EPG data immediately).

All of E*'s receivers seem to be able to handle a couple thousand channels of EPG ... subchannel EPG for the entire nation adds a LOT more channels of EPG. Adding a few channels of EPG for major markets (as they have done) is no problem. Now it appears E* is expanding that to a few more markets to see if the "problem receiver" has now been fixed.

I have not heard a firm answer on what receiver didn't like the subchannel EPG. Perhaps one of the older ones didn't sort out unsubscribed hidden channels as well as the current ones do. In any case ... the size of the EPG is more than the channels any customer sees.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:37 PM

James - what makes no sense at all is we never saw any reports of people having problems with receivers when they added all the EPG data the first time. I would think something would have shown up on the boards if it was really a problem. I think there was something else at play there, but I guess we'll never know. I'm just glad some of the guys mentioned it to the E* people at TeamSummit and now lots of them are back. Hopefully all will be back soon!

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,670 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

I'm wondering if the "problem" is an old receiver that not many have any more or is a non-consumer receiver. People have reported general problems with their receivers ... nothing that seemed to break and fix tied to the previous "experiment" with subchannel EPG ...

Odd to say the least but I'm glad to see the subchannel EPG "return".
That should be something we all agree on! :)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

No question there James.

#15 OFFLINE   rustamust

rustamust

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

Subchannel EPG has returned to Colo Springs CO as of today.

#16 OFFLINE   tammyandlee

tammyandlee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

The Tampa sub channels had guide info for a few days earlier this year. They still have not returned. It's the only thing that bugs me about the 622.

#17 OFFLINE   gjh3260

gjh3260

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

No subchannel guide info on the 211 in the Mpls/St.Paul area.
[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][SIZE="2"]Samsung HL-R6167W
Samsung LN-T2342H
Samsung DVD-R157 Upconversion Recorder
Yamaha HTR-5730 receiver
Zenith Silver Sensor ZHTV1 (indoor antenna)
Dish VIP211 (GoldHD with PlatinumHD)
WD My Book Essential 500gb EHD
Sats 110/119/129[/SIZE]

#18 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:58 PM

I have not heard a firm answer on what receiver didn't like the subchannel EPG. Perhaps one of the older ones didn't sort out unsubscribed hidden channels as well as the current ones do.

My point was, unless older receivers, or any receivers for that matter, rec'd a s/w update in between Dish turning them off for most of us, will simply return. Or was there really a problem ?? When you say you've never heard "what receiver" didn't like it, was that in fact the reason or confirmed ?? Was there a different reason ??

The question about this guide data was brought up at Team Summit and a few days later, it's starting to come back. That sounds odd that it can be turned back on so easily.

And how (why) did some markets keep it ??

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,670 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:22 AM

And how (why) did some markets keep it ??

Go back and read my previous response. Look at the big picture. Look at more than just the channels that appear on your receiver's EPG. Look at the total number of channels in the EPG stream.

E* could have a few key markets with full EPG data so they did. For a while there they thought they could have more ... they tried it and pulled back. I doubt if their reason for pulling back was to tick you off. Now they are trying once again.

Also look at the end of this thread where most all software updates are briefly reported.
In May the following receivers have received a software update: DVR522/DVR625 (L417), DP311 (P415), DP811 (P387), 2700 (861P), ViP622 (L404 - partial).
In April the list included D351 (P371), DP811 (P386), ViP622 (L403), DVR522/DVR625 (L416), PVR721 (L325)
At the end of March there was PVR501 (P368), DVR522/DVR625 (L415),DVR921 (L332).

Perhaps the 2700 was the problem ... or the 721. E* isn't in a telling mood. In any case, read the replies and be happy that they are reappearing. And, if you are so inclined, pray that "it works" and the rest can be added soon!

#20 OFFLINE   Mr.Pinkeye

Mr.Pinkeye

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

I saw that the following guide info was added, but not seeing it in my guide.
I have an 811 with P387 software. Did a check switch to download fresh guide data, but nothing is coming through.

Anybody else in the boston area seeing this problem? I wonder if the 'call letters' being different would be the problem. For example, WGBX2 is listed in the epg as WORLD and WGBX3 is CREATE. WGBH2 is listed as WGBH-.

14029 WGBH2 ADDED TO Tp 18 Spotbeam 4 from Mount Jackson for EchoStar 10 at 110w

14030 WGBX2 ADDED TO Tp 26 Spotbeam 4 from Mount Jackson for EchoStar 10 at 110w

14031 WGBX3 ADDED TO Tp 26 Spotbeam 4 from Mount Jackson for EchoStar 10 at 110w

The other two applicable sub-channels they added for my area are:

14027 WCVB2 ADDED TO Tp 26 Spotbeam 4 from Mount Jackson for EchoStar 10 at 110w

but WCVB has discontinued their dopplar subchannel.

and I can't pull in this one...too far...

14028 WENH1 ADDED TO Tp 26 Spotbeam 4 from Mount Jackson for EchoStar 10 at 110w

spam firewall