Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 Image Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   coldmiser

coldmiser

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:43 AM

I'm still new to Dish and the 622 and my wife and have been noticing really bad pixalation when playing back a recorded show. We get in almost all shows. It only happens for a second or two, but I'm wondering if this could be a problem with the 622. We asked some friends that have a 622 and record a lot of the same shows and they don't have any problems.

Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

Can you provide some additional information. Are there certain shows or channels you see this on? What version of software is your 622 running? I'm wondering if the shows you are recording are off the 129 satellite and you are having signal lock issues. Please list the channels and shows you are seeing this on, it should help us identify the problem.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#3 OFFLINE   coldmiser

coldmiser

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:35 AM

Can you provide some additional information. Are there certain shows or channels you see this on? What version of software is your 622 running? I'm wondering if the shows you are recording are off the 129 satellite and you are having signal lock issues. Please list the channels and shows you are seeing this on, it should help us identify the problem.

I assume it's the most current version software.

As for the shows I've had it off of the HD shows (Planet Earth, Sunrise Earth), and my local HD shows. I have't really noticed it on any SD stuff, but we don't watch alot in SD right now (Dresden Files on SciFi is about it).

#4 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:45 AM

I know I've been having minor problems myself with Planet Earth and talking to others it seems to be a problem with the stream, where maybe a couple times during the show it will pixelate and skip a bit of video. It was more prevalent the first week it was one, but I have seen it a couple times since. Are you seeing more than that? That is about the only thing I've watched on Disovery HD. What are your local HD channels? what market are you in? Are you get them via Dish or OTA?
Rob

#5 OFFLINE   coldmiser

coldmiser

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

I know I've been having minor problems myself with Planet Earth and talking to others it seems to be a problem with the stream, where maybe a couple times during the show it will pixelate and skip a bit of video. It was more prevalent the first week it was one, but I have seen it a couple times since. Are you seeing more than that? That is about the only thing I've watched on Disovery HD. What are your local HD channels? what market are you in? Are you get them via Dish or OTA?

I'm in Northern California so I'm getting them from the satalite and not OTA. The weird thing is we really only notice it on shows that have been recorded and not live TV.

#6 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

Ok, chances are your local HD channels are on the 129 Satellite which is notorious for signal issues. I would suggest watching a channel that you've had problems with live for a while and see if you spot problems. And, when/if you do go into the point dish screen and check out your signal. Basically on 129 there is a signal drop every 40 - 45 minutes or so and the closer you are to the fringe of the coverage area of 129 the more significant the drop. It's worse for us up here in Washington than it is down in California but it's still there. I personally see a drop of about 40 points when this happens, causing a lot of my stations to lose lock. Workarounds for this issue include installing a separate, larger, dish just for 129. What do you have for dish(es) right now? A Dish1000? This may be your problem.
Rob

#7 OFFLINE   coldmiser

coldmiser

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:19 AM

I'm in Northern California so I'm getting them from the satalite and not OTA. The weird thing is we really only notice it on shows that have been recorded and not live TV.

I'm just concened that I may have gotten a bad hard drive.

#8 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

I'm just concened that I may have gotten a bad hard drive.

Signal problems are a more likely cause, and easy to find out if it's the culprit, especially if you SD content is looking fine. As far as HD, how bad is the Discovery HD shows? What about other channels such as ESPN-HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and HBO-HD/Showtime-HD if you have them? These are all examples of HD channels that are not on 129. If they don't have the problems like your locals do or other 129 based national HD channels, i.e. National Geographic HD, Food HD, Starz HD, etc ... then it would definitely point towards your 129 signal strength as the issue.
Rob

#9 OFFLINE   coldmiser

coldmiser

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:08 PM

Signal problems are a more likely cause, and easy to find out if it's the culprit, especially if you SD content is looking fine. As far as HD, how bad is the Discovery HD shows? What about other channels such as ESPN-HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and HBO-HD/Showtime-HD if you have them? These are all examples of HD channels that are not on 129. If they don't have the problems like your locals do or other 129 based national HD channels, i.e. National Geographic HD, Food HD, Starz HD, etc ... then it would definitely point towards your 129 signal strength as the issue.

I'll have to check that out, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten it on HBO-HD during Bill Mahr.

#10 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

I'll have to check that out, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten it on HBO-HD during Bill Mahr.

Again, how bad is it? Maybe once or twice during a movie on HBO-HD I'll see a very small band of pixelation on the screen for a split second but that is it. Are you seeing it worse than that?

Every bit of detail about every issue your seeing and the differences between channels, if there is any will help narrow down the problem(s)
Rob

#11 OFFLINE   coldmiser

coldmiser

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

Again, how bad is it? Maybe once or twice during a movie on HBO-HD I'll see a very small band of pixelation on the screen for a split second but that is it. Are you seeing it worse than that?

Every bit of detail about every issue your seeing and the differences between channels, if there is any will help narrow down the problem(s)

Ok, so I was just watching a Mythbusters I recorded last night and it had a couple of seconds of screwed up pixelation.

spam firewall