Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA when Dish is out?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clpease

clpease

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:01 AM

We had a new roof put on yesterday and Dish can't get here until sometime Thursday to hook the dishes backup. I have an OTA connected and since the receiver can't find any signal from the Dish I can't get to the Program Guide to select my OTA channels. Is there any way do this? Besides moving the OTA directly to the TV?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:30 AM

All DISH HDTV receivers have needed an active DISH signal to produce an OTA picture. Sorry it is the way they protect their investment. Connect directly to the TV.

#3 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

A few days ago we had really heavy cloud cover and I lost reception of the 119' satellite. I flipped to an OTA channel and all was fine...

Did you try tuning directly vs going through the guide ??

#4 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

IT will let you flip over to an ota station for a few minutes after the sat signal is lost, but then the program guide is lost and you can't access the ota stations at all. The key is to change over quickly and not to change back to a sat station till it back to full strength.

#5 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:51 AM

The key is to change over quickly and not to change back to a sat station till it back to full strength.

And how do you know that ?? :D

#6 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

I think that once it goes into the "searching for satellites" routine, you can't jump out of it.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

And how do you know that ?? :D

I have done it time and time again. In fact I have been recording the news on my local ABC ota station and it would be raining. I would check the pip and the sat station would be blacked out due to rain fade.

IF I tried to access the ota stations while it was pouring and I waited to long ,the program guide would say NOT ACCESSABLE . The customer service menu would be grayed out as well. You have to get to a ota station before the rain fade gets to strong or your out of luck .

#8 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:29 PM

Okay, but he has NO satellite service at the moment. When his receiver boots up, there is NO time frame for him to access the OTA channels. I believe the scenario is completely different if the receiver is already up and running while satellite reception is available.

#9 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

Okay, but he has NO satellite service at the moment. When his receiver boots up, there is NO time frame for him to access the OTA channels. I believe the scenario is completely different if the receiver is already up and running while satellite reception is available.

This is not true with all dish HD receivers. Some of them don't need satellite to receive OTA, although they do go to searching for satellite. You can break out. On a 6000, quite quickly.

I even just tried it on one of my 622's. I powered it off and disconnect the satellite coax from my dpp splitter. After about one minute searching for satellite, I was able to break out and directly tune one of my ota locals.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:03 PM

Last time I had an outage during a big storm, I was able to hit the Menu button on the remote to get away from the "acquiring satellite" popup... then I went to the guide from the menu and selected an OTA channel.

Once on an OTA channel I could then go back to the guide and select another OTA or punch in the numbers manually.

I did this very recently on my ViP622, so I know it is possible.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

I have always been able to watch OTA from my 921 without a satellite being connected. I eeven had one going back for warrantee replacement. I set-up the replacement 921 then took the old one to another room (where no satellite feed was available) and was able to record the contents of the HD onto a VHS VCR. Just for kicks, I hooked up rabbit ears and was able to watch OTA stations. The EPG was whacked (the date was stuck on Dec 31, 12:59 PM) but the previously scanned OTA stations came in fine - for days, not just minutes, later.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...