Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Serious HDMI Audio/Video Issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   logray

logray

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:18 AM

What happened!

I went out of town last Wednesday and when I came back today my 622 went nuts on me!

No video or audio through HDMI. Had to hookup component and toslink.

Hard reset resolves video problem to HDMI (sometimes).

Going into Diagnostics, Analysis, HDMI Test and doing a reset HDMI resolves video problem again (sometimes, but usually only once after a hard reboot).

Changing resolution from 720p to 1080i and back, etc. does nothing. My TV supports both of them regardless.

In the HDMI Test screen, everything is greyed out except Disp Info. When I scroll through Info 1 and Info 2 at the bottom it displays "ERR: formatted_edid: -248".

NOTHING I can do restores audio through HDMI. I've been using toslink since I discovered this bug.

Samsung 40" LCD HDTV

I have other HDMI devices that work fine and swapped cables, tv inputs, etc. so I have isolated the problem to the 622 itself.

:mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:33 AM

What happened!

I went out of town last Wednesday and when I came back today my 622 went nuts on me!

No video or audio through HDMI. Had to hookup component and toslink.

Samsung 40" LCD HDTV

I have other HDMI devices that work fine and swapped cables, tv inputs, etc. so I have isolated the problem to the 622 itself.

:mad:

Well this scares me as I also have a 40" Samsung LCD HDTV. My 622 that is hooked up to that television still has ver 3.66 on it while our other one has 4.01. 4.03 hasn't gotten anywhere near my house, as of yet. I hope it doesn't end up being a combo Samsung/622 issue. There is already a problem here with Samsungs and our local CBS affiliate where if you get their station OTA, the HD screen has a green square on half of the picture. Crazy, huh? It doesn't do it if you have the antenna plugged into the 622, only when you go straight to the Samsung.

So, have you call Tech Support? Let us know if you get any resolution to this problem. Good luck!
Mary
*E since '98: Dish 1000.2,VIP622, VIP722K
*D since 4/07 for MLB EI, HR-21

#3 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

I still have no consistent hdmi connection on my toshiba 26" hdtv either. I get no sound through it and have never gotten it. I also can get a picture if I reset the 622 hdmi button but it will go black again if the receiver changes resolution or if it reboots . The living room Toshiba is a 57" rear projection from 2004 and it has dvi. I use a sony a/v receiver with hdmi output and two hdmi inputs. IT works on the video on the tv, but I can't test the sound part because the tv is dvi.

#4 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

L4.03 with HDMI is working fine with my Sony. Just for a different point of view.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#5 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

L4.03 with HDMI is working fine with my Sony. Just for a different point of view.

My Samsung 32" via HDMI was working fine this morning. L4.03 was the current SW version on that 622. My Samsung is one of the latest models out there though. I don't know if certain models are affected differently or not.
EAGLES

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

Perhaps your HDMI connector on the MB just coincidentally failed during this time frame - may not be L4.03 bug. More data needed - 1 failure does not a bug make.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

In the HDMI Test screen, everything is greyed out except Disp Info.

I believe it's grayed out because there's no (active) connection on it. Mine are grayed out also but I'd bet it's because I'm hooked up via component. HDMI is a two-way connection, so if it can't "talk" back and forth, it also can't diagnose.

#8 OFFLINE   BJK

BJK

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:33 PM

I got 4.03 at about midnight PDT but didn't check until now. The search function now works for OTA locals with many, many locks. That was my only major problem after getting 4.01

BJK
1 ViP622
1 VIP612
Mitsubishi 62" WD-62628 DLP 1080P
Onkyo TX-NR905 AV Receiver
ORB Audio 7.1 channel setup
Dish 1000.2
Dish Network since '98

#9 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

Agree with Jim.. Might be that your HDMI port is failing right at the same time. Try unplugging it and plugging it back in and see what happens if you have not already done that. That might make it go completely by by....

Be interested if anyone else reports L4.03 introducing HDMI issues.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#10 OFFLINE   logray

logray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

As per my original post I already isolated it to the 622.

My TV has 2 HDMI ports.

I have 2 HDMI cables.

I have a PS3. Audio and Video from PS3 work fine over HDMI in both TV HDMI ports using both HDMI cables.

#11 OFFLINE   SonicBee777

SonicBee777

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

As per my original post I already isolated it to the 622.

OK, it's the 622. Now, have you isolated it to the 4.03 software on your 622, or is it possible that the HDMI hardware port on your 622 has failed mechanically as has happened to other 622s?
ViP622-E, Dish1000, AT250+HD, Sony SXRD KDS-R50XBR1

#12 OFFLINE   MISTRV

MISTRV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

My HDMI port stopped working after 4.01. No audio or video. I now have 4.03, but it didn't fix this problem. I've tried every fix mentioned in previous threads, but no luck. I am able to get video through component port. I have had no issues with my 622 until 4.01 was downloaded.

#13 OFFLINE   logray

logray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

OK, it's the 622. Now, have you isolated it to the 4.03 software on your 622, or is it possible that the HDMI hardware port on your 622 has failed mechanically as has happened to other 622s?

Last week did not have 4.0x, did not have problem as described.

Went on vacation last Thursday.

No cables were moved/etc (as no one was home).

Came home yesterday night. Had 4.01. Problem as described.

Woke up this morning. Had 4.03. Problem still apparent as described.

With so many similar complaints I don't see how this could be hardware (chip failure) related unless the software permanently damaged FPGA.

Going to call support tonight.

#14 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

Logray..

Well given you saw the issue with L4.01 then it was not introduced with L4.03... Definitely a key point here. Good detail to provide and it removes L4.03 as being the introduction point.

As for hardware failure. The 622 has a known issue where over time the HDMI connector may fail and cause your HDMI to go out. I had it happen to me. Does not require actually even touching it. This is what Jim and myself and a few others have indicated might be your case.

I am going to Remove the L4.03 from the title since obviously L4.03 is not the trigger based on the last post.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#15 OFFLINE   logray

logray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

Given the fact that so many people have complained with similar issues and they all revolved around 4.0x, just wanted to give some attention to the fact that this could be software related.

Not disagreeing that all of the stars could have aligned at the same time and all of our hardware started failing mysteriously at the same time 4.0x was downloaded to our units.

#16 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I had my HDMI port fail and it was about the same time L4.01 spooled. It had nothing to do with the software, the poor hardware connection on the HDMI port just finally gave out. I wiggled the cable and video came back briefly once, then went back out and that was that. Took a replacement to get it fixed. I'm not saying that this is your issue but it's what mine turned out to be.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#17 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

My HDMI port also failed after a week of running 401. However, I'm absolutely certain this was NOT a 401 issue, because I could wiggle the connector around a bit and get my HDMI signal back.

In my case, it was the well-known HDMI connector failure problem. Amazingly enough, the CSR didn't give me any grief. I described the problem, told him wiggling the connector temporarily fixed it, and he sent me a replacement. Replacement works just fine.

So, give your connector some wiggling while you're watching your TV and see if anything happens. Depending upon how badly the internal solder joint has failed, it might take quite a bit of wiggling in various directions to accomplish anything. If, at any time, you see a brief flash of video, then your connector is definitely bad. Call E* and get a new 622.

One thing that annoys me, they sent another 622 with the old-style HDMI connector, not the new, reengineered one. So, this one will probably fail down the line, too.

Actually, one other thing that annoys me... with my D* HR10-250, when I got a replacement, I could just swap disks and not lose my saved programs and settings.
Can't do that with the 622. Not that I would ever try, of course. I would never open up my 622, because E* wouldn't like it.:)

My avatar says it all.

#18 OFFLINE   logray

logray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the support everyone... I will certainly let everyone know how it plays out.

#19 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:26 AM

No cables were moved/etc (as no one was home)...

I don't see how this could be hardware (chip failure) related unless the software permanently damaged FPGA.

You don't actually have to touch anything to get a failure, although it's less likely. The hardware failure isn't electonic, it's physical. The HDMI connector is a tiny (and fragile) surface-mount connector that has one side screwed to the side of the box. All it takes is enough thermal cycling (and the differential expansion associated with that) to eventually make the solder joints fail, and that cycling happens every time you go into standby. Since standby isn't really off, the temp swing isn't all that much, which is why it can take a long time to fail. Replugging the HDMI connector a number of times will certainly accelerate the process.

From what I understand, the fix is to use a through-hole connector, although my replacement box didn't have one.

My avatar says it all.

#20 OFFLINE   logray

logray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:04 AM

Talk about a major engineering oversight. A receiver that has been in service for about 5 months and has never been touched since it was installed has a solder joint failure.

Thanks for solving my problem. Obviously it has nothing to do with the software.

Hey everybody having this problem with your 622. The issue is solved. There is a weak solder point in your receivers. It has absolutely nothing to do with the software release. That was just a horribly inconceivable coincidence that message boards became flooded with HDMI complaints right around the time 4.0x was released.

Ok, back to reality.

I think it would be a great injustice to humanity to make this assumption at this point. Some sort of engineering analysis postmortem would certainly be in order to confirm this.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...