Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Serious HDMI Audio/Video Issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:21 AM

You know, the easiest way to confirm it is to replace the box.

I haven't opened up the 622 but surface-mount stuff is very difficult to inspect visually without a stereoscope, and even then, it can be tough. Mostly when the unit is hot it will expand which can cause the components that are not soldered correctly to expand apart from one another and cause an open circuit. Then once you get it turned off, remove the 622 from the installation location, etc., and get the lid off of it, it's cooled and contracted back so that they make contact and you cannot even tell they are broken with an ohm meter.

Now the problem with this is most likely based on heat. Not just thermal expansion/contraction but maybe also getting hot enough to soften the solder joint to begin with. A thru-hole component sort of alleviates this because at least when it cools, it will likely cool with the solder joint in tact if not high-resistance. But the better solution is better cooling.

I wonder if most of the problems we have with 622, and the reason they seem to be so inconsistent, could be mostly due to heat.
Sling-enabled Hopper, Joey, RokuXD, coupla HDTVs, a real old DD5.1 receiver and a 1963 Fisher tube hifi

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

Talk about a major engineering oversight. A receiver that has been in service for about 5 months and has never been touched since it was installed has a solder joint failure.

Thanks for solving my problem. Obviously it has nothing to do with the software.

Hey everybody having this problem with your 622. The issue is solved. There is a weak solder point in your receivers. It has absolutely nothing to do with the software release. That was just a horribly inconceivable coincidence that message boards became flooded with HDMI complaints right around the time 4.0x was released.

Ok, back to reality.

I think it would be a great injustice to humanity to make this assumption at this point. Some sort of engineering analysis postmortem would certainly be in order to confirm this.

E* has said themselves this is the problem, and I assume it was because of an engineering analysis.

I fail to see how a software problem can be solved by wiggling a connector. While it's certainly possible that there is a sofware issue that affects some people, the two '401 related' HDMI failures I've seen have been connector failures. Perhaps you should do a little research before posting.

I also don't see that anyone has said that a connector failure is YOUR problem (622 problem, that is). Several suggestions have been made as to how you can either confirm or eliminate that as the cause.

My avatar says it all.

#23 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

since hdmi is data connection which utilizes a protocol with handshakes etc. then certainly wiggling the connector, which may intermittently interrupt the connection, could trigger a re-sync of the data connection and possibly be related to a software issue.

more likely it's a hardware failure tho.
Sling-enabled Hopper, Joey, RokuXD, coupla HDTVs, a real old DD5.1 receiver and a 1963 Fisher tube hifi

#24 OFFLINE   alleykat

alleykat

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

There is certainly a software issue. A black screen cured by a reboot or cycling the HD output setting under setup is in no way indicative of a connector problem.
Of course there are issues with the fragile connector design that can be resolved by manipulating them but not by recycling the unit.

#25 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:12 AM

since hdmi is data connection which utilizes a protocol with handshakes etc. then certainly wiggling the connector, which may intermittently interrupt the connection, could trigger a re-sync of the data connection and possibly be related to a software issue.

more likely it's a hardware failure tho.

True. However, in my case, pushing down on the connector and holding it down would fix the problem, releasing it would immediately result in signal loss. That one is pretty certain to be hardware.

Does anyone know for sure what the new HDMI reset button does? It seems to force a renegotiation, but it's hard to tell. If it does do a resync, and the problem is sync loss, that should clear it up at least temporarily. Combining the reset test (assuming it does what it says it does) and the wiggle test should give a fairly conclusive indication of the problem. Of course, it's also possible that whatever the reset does doesn't really do what a hardware resync does.

Given how complex HDMI is, both from a hardware and software point of view, it's a miracle it ever works!

My avatar says it all.

#26 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:12 AM

Talk about a major engineering oversight. A receiver that has been in service for about 5 months and has never been touched since it was installed has a solder joint failure.

Thanks for solving my problem. Obviously it has nothing to do with the software.

Hey everybody having this problem with your 622. The issue is solved. There is a weak solder point in your receivers. It has absolutely nothing to do with the software release. That was just a horribly inconceivable coincidence that message boards became flooded with HDMI complaints right around the time 4.0x was released.

Ok, back to reality.

I think it would be a great injustice to humanity to make this assumption at this point. Some sort of engineering analysis postmortem would certainly be in order to confirm this.

I have never had an HDMI problem at all with my 622 through 3.65, 3.66, 4.01 and now 4.03. Most other users have not had the HDMI problem either.

Why don't you just check the HDMI connector. It is a known problem and a simple fix.

#27 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

There is certainly a software issue. A black screen cured by a reboot or cycling the HD output setting under setup is in no way indicative of a connector problem.
Of course there are issues with the fragile connector design that can be resolved by manipulating them but not by recycling the unit.

Again correct. E* said this on one of the tech talks.... if it goes away with a reset, it's software, which is pretty obvious. So, there are now three ways of isolating the problem, and going through them should let someone identify which problem they have.

For problems cured by a reboot, it's interesting that only some people are seeing it. My Sony works just fine; I've always used HDMI, and now my 5.1 audio is going over HDMI, too.

A problem many manufacturers have had is HDMI compatibility across all other devices, because the HDMI spec originally didn't have a compatibility testing requirement; it does now.

So, perhaps E* has tried to fix a compatibility problem with some brand of TV that has now affected others. Unfortunately, these problems seem to take quite a while to figure out and fix, not surprising given the intermittent nature. I also have a vague recollection that Sammys were one of the brands that D* had a lot of trouble with, too. For those that want to know how bad it was over in D* land for a while, check some of the old HR10-250 threads.

My avatar says it all.

spam firewall