Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Long Component Video or HDMI run?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fst96se

fst96se

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

My question here is twofold really.

I have a dedicated theater room upstairs in my house. I am thinking about getting the DishVip622, and putting it in the theater. I plan to run HDMI to my receiver. The DVR outputs over component simultaneously, and I am thinking about using that same DVR to run my Pioneer Plasma in my family room downtairs.

In order to so, I need to make about a 100ft component video cable run. It will have to be 5 conductor component video, so that I have sound on the TV too. Are there any inherint problems running component that far? I think I will be using a monoprice cable.

Second, I have contemplated buying a monoprice HDMI splitter, and splitting the HDMI signal from the DISH and sending that over a 100 ft monoprice cable. They have a splitter which supposedly splits and sends both audio and video. Do I degrade the signal by doing so, especially if I go for a 100ft HDMI run? I actually pondered this also for sending Blu-Ray to my familyroom tv from my PS3 in the theater.

What would you all suggest?

Thanks all!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

Second, I have contemplated buying a monoprice HDMI splitter, and splitting the HDMI signal from the DISH and sending that over a 100 ft monoprice cable. They have a splitter which supposedly splits and sends both audio and video. Do I degrade the signal by doing so, especially if I go for a 100ft HDMI run? I actually pondered this also for sending Blu-Ray to my familyroom tv from my PS3 in the theater.

Thanks all!

I have HDMI going to two rooms using an HDMI splitter and two HDMI switches. All is working fine for about a year now although my runs are very short (10 ft. or less). My bedroom happens to be on the other side of the same wall that my main TV is in.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#3 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:24 PM

I thought the 622 COULD NOT send the single out both hdmi and component. I thought it was one or the other and you had to use either s-video/composite?

As for the hdmi cable, the hdmi.org website says that the maximum cable run for hdmi is roughly 50 ft. If monoprice allows you to return the cable, it would be worth a try and see if your signal can make it all the way down that 100ft cable.

#4 OFFLINE   twindaddy

twindaddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:31 PM

I thought the 622 COULD NOT send the single out both hdmi and component.

The 622 can indeed output through HDMI and component simultaneously. I did this when I first got my HDMI cable because I was comparing the quality between the two outputs (turns out they are pretty darn similar).

#5 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

The 622 can indeed output through HDMI and component simultaneously. ...

Not only HDMI and component but every output can be used simultaneously.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#6 OFFLINE   Sharpinv

Sharpinv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

I had basically the same application and went with a 100 foot component cable from monoprice over a long HDMI cable primarily because of cost. It works great at 100 feet. In fact, I even added a component splitter (again monoprice) to the 622 component output so that I could also send a component signal to the TV close to the receiver (6 foot cable) - still works at 100 feet just fine even with a split component signal.

One hint - if you split the component signal, you have to have it actually hooked up on both output ends or the signal is scrambled - something to do with balanced load at the output end. So don't throw in a splitter until you actually have another TV, etc. to plug components into.

But the 100 foot component cable/signal picture is as good as my six foot.

Hope that helps...

My question here is twofold really.

I have a dedicated theater room upstairs in my house. I am thinking about getting the DishVip622, and putting it in the theater. I plan to run HDMI to my receiver. The DVR outputs over component simultaneously, and I am thinking about using that same DVR to run my Pioneer Plasma in my family room downtairs.

In order to so, I need to make about a 100ft component video cable run. It will have to be 5 conductor component video, so that I have sound on the TV too. Are there any inherint problems running component that far? I think I will be using a monoprice cable.

Thanks all!

#7 OFFLINE   MISTRV

MISTRV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

I had basically the same application and went with a 100 foot component cable from monoprice over a long HDMI cable primarily because of cost. It works great at 100 feet. In fact, I even added a component splitter (again monoprice) to the 622 component output so that I could also send a component signal to the TV close to the receiver (6 foot cable) - still works at 100 feet just fine even with a split component signal.

One hint - if you split the component signal, you have to have it actually hooked up on both output ends or the signal is scrambled - something to do with balanced load at the output end. So don't throw in a splitter until you actually have another TV, etc. to plug components into.

But the 100 foot component cable/signal picture is as good as my six foot.

Hope that helps...

I have a 35 foot long component cable and a 6 foot component cable. Right now the 6 ft cable is running from my 622 receiver to my TV in the living room. Which exact splitter did you buy from monoprice, and how would I hook it up? I had HDMI from 622 in living room and 35 ft component going to bedroom. But after L4.01 download, I have no HDMI port that works.
Thanks for any help with this.

#8 OFFLINE   Sharpinv

Sharpinv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:18 PM

I have a 35 foot long component cable and a 6 foot component cable. Right now the 6 ft cable is running from my 622 receiver to my TV in the living room. Which exact splitter did you buy from monoprice, and how would I hook it up? I had HDMI from 622 in living room and 35 ft component going to bedroom. But after L4.01 download, I have no HDMI port that works.
Thanks for any help with this.

Here is the 100 foot cable:

2672 100FT 5-RCA Component Video/Audio [20AWG] Coax Cable (5xRG-59/U)
1 $39.11 $39.11

Here is the component splitter - it just plugs into the component output of the 622 and away you go - monoprice has a picture of it if you use the model number to search their website:

2848 3-RCA RGB RG-59/u Component Video Splitter
1 $6.21 $6.21

#9 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:23 PM

As for the hdmi cable, the hdmi.org website says that the maximum cable run for hdmi is roughly 50 ft. If monoprice allows you to return the cable, it would be worth a try and see if your signal can make it all the way down that 100ft cable.

That can be pushing it. The problem is the HDMI spec intentionally doesn't specify a maximum cable length. The rationale is that improving technology will allow longer runs, or some such waffle. Some manufacturers say no more than 10 feet, some say more. Nobody says 100 feet.

It mostly depends upon the characteristics of the HDMI transceivers in the equipment on each end. So, the only real way to tell how far you can go is to try it. If it doesn't work, you can always use an HDMI repeater.

My avatar says it all.

#10 OFFLINE   fst96se

fst96se

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:36 PM

Excellent guys, I think I will order up the 100ft component video cable, 5 conductor from Monoprice. I will pull the cable and make sure I get it there first, before actually ordering up an install from Dish. Wish me luck!

#11 OFFLINE   digitald

digitald

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

Excellent guys, I think I will order up the 100ft component video cable, 5 conductor from Monoprice. I will pull the cable and make sure I get it there first, before actually ordering up an install from Dish. Wish me luck!

You can also get RG59 mini cable would make for an easier run. I also ran into a device that uses Cat5 cable to run the hdmi audio & video looked like a simple solution for a long run.

DD

#12 OFFLINE   raynist

raynist

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:43 AM

I ran a 50ft HDMI cable to my bedroom and I have the component hooked to my family room TV.

What are you doing about using the remote? As far as I know, TV1 is only for an IR remote. How are you controlling the channels?

Thanks
Ray Nist

#13 OFFLINE   fst96se

fst96se

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

I ran a 50ft HDMI cable to my bedroom and I have the component hooked to my family room TV.

What are you doing about using the remote? As far as I know, TV1 is only for an IR remote. How are you controlling the channels?

Thanks
Ray Nist

I asked this question in another thread, aparently you can assign th remote using the remote key or something like that, but it can be done.

#14 OFFLINE   MISTRV

MISTRV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

Here is the 100 foot cable:

2672 100FT 5-RCA Component Video/Audio [20AWG] Coax Cable (5xRG-59/U)
1 $39.11 $39.11

Here is the component splitter - it just plugs into the component output of the 622 and away you go - monoprice has a picture of it if you use the model number to search their website:

2848 3-RCA RGB RG-59/u Component Video Splitter
1 $6.21 $6.21

I already had a 35ft component cable, but it is an RG6/u version. It worked great when connected directly from the 622 to the TV in my bedroom. I bougtht a 3-RCA RGB RG6/u Component Video Splitter to mactch, but I am getting a slight color banding on the TV in the bedroom while the 6ft run to the TV in the living room is great. Do I need to swap out the RG6/u for the RG-59/u? The color banding only happens on HD video and its not completely unwatchable, just annoying.

#15 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

RG6 vs RG59 isn't the critical factor; much more important is the quality of the coax itself.

Just saying RG6 on the cable doesn't mean it meets any particular standard, other than dimensional. Unfortunately, there isn't any easy way to tell what you're getting, unless you want to look at the actual specs from the manufacturer, which is usually impossible with coax you get retail. RG59 is a smaller diameter cable, and frequently (but not always) has more capacitance per foot, which is NOT what you want for a long run.

It sounds like what you're describing is phase delay between the separate cables. If so, that is an indication of loose manufacturing tolerances. Additionally, even though it generally works, expecting the 622 to drive 100 feet of coax at tens of megahertz for HD really isn't fair; it almost certainly wasn't designed to do that. Even when it works, you're probably losing some hi-freq detail in the signal.

So, you might want to consider one of the commercially-available extenders, such as from Gefen if you really want to get a full-quality signal out the other end.

If you really want to drop some bucks, you can get Gefen's 100 foot HDMI-fiber-HDMI cable/converter package, it's only about $700. :)

My avatar says it all.

#16 OFFLINE   MISTRV

MISTRV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

RG6 vs RG59 isn't the critical factor; much more important is the quality of the coax itself.

Just saying RG6 on the cable doesn't mean it meets any particular standard, other than dimensional. Unfortunately, there isn't any easy way to tell what you're getting, unless you want to look at the actual specs from the manufacturer, which is usually impossible with coax you get retail. RG59 is a smaller diameter cable, and frequently (but not always) has more capacitance per foot, which is NOT what you want for a long run.

It sounds like what you're describing is phase delay between the separate cables. If so, that is an indication of loose manufacturing tolerances. Additionally, even though it generally works, expecting the 622 to drive 100 feet of coax at tens of megahertz for HD really isn't fair; it almost certainly wasn't designed to do that. Even when it works, you're probably losing some hi-freq detail in the signal.

So, you might want to consider one of the commercially-available extenders, such as from Genfen if you really want to get a full-quality signal out the other end.

If you really want to drop some bucks, you can get Genfen's 100 foot HDMI-fiber-HDMI cable/converter package, it's only about $700. :)

Thanks for the recommendation, but a little pricey for me. How would an Inday HDDA-2 Component Video Distribution Amplifier ($59) or a 1:2 Shinybow Component Video Distribution Splitter $165)? I'm trying to split my component cable from the 622 to one TV 35ft away and the other TV about 4ft away.

#17 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

Just be sure whichever one you get is rated for HD; the video bandwidth is significantly higher for an HD signal. Pre-HD days, you could get away with longer cable runs without amplification, and the amps available didn't necessarily have the bandwidth to support full HD, because that wasn't a requirement.

Gefen's component extender is $300, which I think is rather pricey, but good. For comparison, its video bandwidth is 120 Mhz., which will easily handle 1080p. The thing I like about the Gefen-style extenders is that you can just use some cat5 or cat6 ethernet cable for your cable run.

You really can get away with just coax over that distance, as long as it's good quality stuff. The cheap coax tends to have poor shield coverage, higher capacitance, and more variation over length, none of which are desirable. Unfortunately, expensive cable doesn't always mean good cable, either, for retail-packaged (ala Monster) stuff. You could always get coax from an electronics distributor, such as digikey.com, jameco.com, or mouser.com. However, you'll find that good cable isn't cheap.

If I were doing it myself, I wouldn't worry about a run using RG6/U that's good enough for a satellite feed for a component run of 20-30 feet. With reasonable coax, the limiting factor is likely to be the output drivers in the 622, not the coax itself. Longer than that, I'd probably use a component extender amp.

I know I'm not being very precise, but all of this is basically guesswork without knowing the characteristics of the 622, the cable itself, etc.

I just looked up the Inday splitter/amp, it's a nice-looking little box for a very reasonable price. Nice bandwidth, although the tech specs are pretty light. It's certainly worth a try at the price I see ($59).

My avatar says it all.

#18 OFFLINE   laqbn

laqbn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:19 AM

I just ran a 50ft component/audio cable to my other HDTV and I noticed that I am getting very low audio volume to my second set from my 622. The level is so low that when i tun it up to normal listening level i get a ton of 60 cycle hum noise. I've checked all cables and everything is working fine. While watching the feed from my 622 at normal listening level and switch to another source the volume jumps up to ear bleeding loud level. Either the 622 analog audio output is extremely low or the length of the cable is deteriorating the audio from the 633. Any ideas how to fix this?

#19 OFFLINE   PghGuy

PghGuy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:06 AM

See link below...

http://www.video-sto.../info_distr.htm

#20 OFFLINE   laqbn

laqbn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

I have no video issues with the cable length, just audio issues.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...