Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Long Component Video or HDMI run?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   PghGuy

PghGuy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

I have no video issues with the cable length, just audio issues.

my apology for not being clear, I was really posting the link based on the original question above about degration of video signals.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

I just ran a 50ft component/audio cable to my other HDTV and I noticed that I am getting very low audio volume to my second set from my 622. The level is so low that when i tun it up to normal listening level i get a ton of 60 cycle hum noise. I've checked all cables and everything is working fine. While watching the feed from my 622 at normal listening level and switch to another source the volume jumps up to ear bleeding loud level. Either the 622 analog audio output is extremely low or the length of the cable is deteriorating the audio from the 633. Any ideas how to fix this?

One obvious possibility is that the audio cable is defective. If you have an ohmmeter, check the resistance of each connector pin from one end to the other. It should be only a few ohms at most.

Otherwise, you probably have a ground loop. In this case, the power line ground at the 622 or the power line ground at the other end is defective, or grounding somewhere else in the power wiring iis defective. First thing to do is get a line tester at the hardware store. It will tell you if you have ground, if hot and neutral are reversed, etc. It doesn't cost much, and it just plugs into the outlet.

If that says OK, each individual outlet is OK. The outlets could still be grounded to different ground points (which is not how it should be). If you have an AC voltmeter, you can run a wire FROM THE GROUND PIN at one outlet, and measure the voltage difference to the ground pin at the other outlet. The difference should ideally be 0, but even a properly grounded system could show a few volts. If there is a big difference (more than just a few volts), you've got a wiring problem somewhere. Be careful, because if you have a defective ground, it's possible there could be enough voltage differential to give you a zap.

Post back if these tests don't show any problem.

My avatar says it all.

#23 OFFLINE   laqbn

laqbn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

One obvious possibility is that the audio cable is defective. If you have an ohmmeter, check the resistance of each connector pin from one end to the other. It should be only a few ohms at most.

Otherwise, you probably have a ground loop. In this case, the power line ground at the 622 or the power line ground at the other end is defective, or grounding somewhere else in the power wiring iis defective. First thing to do is get a line tester at the hardware store. It will tell you if you have ground, if hot and neutral are reversed, etc. It doesn't cost much, and it just plugs into the outlet.

If that says OK, each individual outlet is OK. The outlets could still be grounded to different ground points (which is not how it should be). If you have an AC voltmeter, you can run a wire FROM THE GROUND PIN at one outlet, and measure the voltage difference to the ground pin at the other outlet. The difference should ideally be 0, but even a properly grounded system could show a few volts. If there is a big difference (more than just a few volts), you've got a wiring problem somewhere. Be careful, because if you have a defective ground, it's possible there could be enough voltage differential to give you a zap.

Post back if these tests don't show any problem.

Thank you, I will do that

#24 OFFLINE   DishTim

DishTim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

If you are looking for the best and easiest to use cables.
www.impactacoustics.com

RapidRun.

I am feeding two HD TV's off one VIP622.
Dish Network Customer since 12/1996
1 Hopper and 1 Joey

#25 OFFLINE   Hotwheels

Hotwheels

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:58 AM

I upgraded from a 921 type receiver to the 622. I also have a couple of new tvs in different rooms. In the past I used an rf modulator to distribute tv from the main viewing room to other rooms.

I can still do that using the output from the 622, but I am wondering if I can get better quality signal if I split the component video using one of the component+audio splitters/amplifiers and then run long component&audio cable to the lcd tvs in other rooms.

Does splitting the component signal and then running cables from the spliiter output offer any better signal than using coax and an rf modulator to distribute the signal?

The way I am reading some of the posts here, it is not possible to get HD to distant LCD tvs without the something such as one of the genfen extenders?

Any thoughts would help on how to best distribute the signal from the 622 so I can get the biggest range of programming on all televisions?

Thanks

#26 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:33 PM

The way I am reading some of the posts here, it is not possible to get HD to distant LCD tvs without the something such as one of the genfen extenders?
Thanks

Depends upon the distance, and whether you're using HDMI or component. It also depends upon the quality of the cables, especially for component.

For component, there are much cheaper solutions than the Gefen ones; they make nice stuff, but it's pricey. Look at one of the previous posts for some suggestions.

For HDMI, some people have reported successful 30ft+ runs.

At least with HDMI, it will either work, or not. Component is more subtle, and it depends upon how critical you are about the picture quality.

So, if you're talking 20 ft, you don't need anything but cable. If you're talking 100 ft, you most likely need an extender. In between, try it and see. My rule-of-thumb is 20 ft for component, but you can probably easily get away with 30 or more.

My avatar says it all.

#27 OFFLINE   DishTim

DishTim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:48 AM

I upgraded from a 921 type receiver to the 622. I also have a couple of new tvs in different rooms. In the past I used an rf modulator to distribute tv from the main viewing room to other rooms.

I can still do that using the output from the 622, but I am wondering if I can get better quality signal if I split the component video using one of the component+audio splitters/amplifiers and then run long component&audio cable to the lcd tvs in other rooms.

Does splitting the component signal and then running cables from the spliiter output offer any better signal than using coax and an rf modulator to distribute the signal?

Any thoughts would help on how to best distribute the signal from the 622 so I can get the biggest range of programming on all televisions?

Thanks

I purchased a splitter from monoprice and a 50 ft rapidrun cable for the distant HD TV. I have absolutely NO loss in picture quality.
Dish Network Customer since 12/1996
1 Hopper and 1 Joey

Protected By... spam firewall...And...