Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I make the RF remote control TV1?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fst96se

fst96se

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:46 AM

I intend to put my VIP622in my theater, and run an HDMI to my Projector, as well as a compnent video feed to my family room plasma so I can get HD there as well. My question is this.

How will I work that out with the remote? I will need to be using the RF remote with TV1 I guess, because I will need to control TV1 from both the family room and the theater. Can the remote be assigned to which TV you want it on? Can two RF remotes be used to control both TV1 and TV2? I may not even use the TV2 out on the 622, since I will be getting another Standard def DVR which I will use in the two bedrooms.

In addition, I have a Harmony remote that I would like to use in the theater which is IR. So, I need that IR remote to control the TV1 on the 622 in the theater, and the RF remote to control TV1 from the family room. TV1, like I said, will be outputting over both HDMI and Component video.

Please give me some guidance!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

I intend to put my VIP622in my theater, and run an HDMI to my Projector, as well as a compnent video feed to my family room plasma so I can get HD there as well. My question is this.

How will I work that out with the remote? I will need to be using the RF remote with TV1 I guess, because I will need to control TV1 from both the family room and the theater. Can the remote be assigned to which TV you want it on? Can two RF remotes be used to control both TV1 and TV2? I may not even use the TV2 out on the 622, since I will be getting another Standard def DVR which I will use in the two bedrooms.

In addition, I have a Harmony remote that I would like to use in the theater which is IR. So, I need that IR remote to control the TV1 on the 622 in the theater, and the RF remote to control TV1 from the family room. TV1, like I said, will be outputting over both HDMI and Component video.

Please give me some guidance!

If you are using HDMI for one TV (projector) and component to the other TV (plasma) you will always be watching the same programming on the two TV's. You'll want to be in Single Mode on the 622.

Why not just use the RF remote in the family room remote location and the Harmony IR control in your Home Theater location?

#3 OFFLINE   fst96se

fst96se

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

If you are using HDMI for one TV (projector) and component to the other TV (plasma) you will always be watching the same programming on the two TV's. You'll want to be in Single Mode on the 622.

Why not just use the RF remote in the family room remote location and the Harmony IR control in your Home Theater location?

This is actually what I want to do, I want to use the RF remote in the family room, and the Harmony IR remote in the Theater, but both must control the DVR in Single mode. Make sense? I used to have a Dish two tuner DVR, and it seems like one remote was IR only, and one was RF. I just want to make sure I can use the RF remote to control "TV1" or, I guess, the DVR in single mode.

This is possible, right?

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:49 AM

This is actually what I want to do, I want to use the RF remote in the family room, and the Harmony IR remote in the Theater, but both must control the DVR in Single mode. Make sense? I used to have a Dish two tuner DVR, and it seems like one remote was IR only, and one was RF. I just want to make sure I can use the RF remote to control "TV1" or, I guess, the DVR in single mode.

This is possible, right?

Yup.

In Single Mode you should stop thinking about TV1 and TV2 - either remote simply controls what is being done by the 622...

#5 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:00 AM

In single mode with Shared VIew on, both remotes control TV1.

In Dual mode your need a different "key" to make a RF remote work with TV1.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#6 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:17 AM

The important point is that you must have shared mode enabled on the 622. Coincidentially, I just set this up about 5 minutes ago. Go to menu-6, select shared setup, enable it. Also, be sure the remote's address is properly registered with the 622; the instructions are in the manual.

The bit about shared mode and remote 2 is also in the manual, but it's exceedingly hard to find!

My avatar says it all.

#7 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:56 AM

The important point is that you must have shared mode enabled on the 622....

Yes, I should have mentioned that. It is the default setting in Single Mode.

#8 OFFLINE   dishbacker

dishbacker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

Just to add to this when you go to system information, you can have it setup as:

TV1 Remote: IR Address
TV2 Remote: Your UHF Address

Then use your 'TV1' remote in the room that your box is in, and the TV2 remote in the other room. Combine that with that talk above about shared setup and single mode, and you will have a setup just like I do at my house.

Good luck!
942 user 1/22/06 L288
622 user 9/30/2006 L365
DPP Twin LNB for 110/119 / DP Dual for 129
Sony 42in LCD RPTV
Pioneer VSX-D810S Receiver

#9 OFFLINE   sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

I setup my 522 in dual mode like this using 4 different remotes, some splitters and a LOT of co-ax cable -

TV1: Bar (uses IR TV1 Remote) & my Bedroom (uses UHF TV1 Remote)
TV2: Basement (uses UHF TV2 remote) & my kid's room (uses UHF TV2 Remote)

I remember it being a major pain in the butt to get that UHF TV1 Remote setup.
DirecTV HR20-700 & R15
Apple iPhone & iPod Shuffle
Sirius Stiletto & Sirius in-dash Mercury Mariner

#10 OFFLINE   skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

I setup my 522 in dual mode like this using 4 different remotes, some splitters and a LOT of co-ax cable -

TV1: Bar (uses IR TV1 Remote) & my Bedroom (uses UHF TV1 Remote)
TV2: Basement (uses UHF TV2 remote) & my kid's room (uses UHF TV2 Remote)

I remember it being a major pain in the butt to get that UHF TV1 Remote setup.

The 622 improved on the process of gettting the #1 UHF Remote to work.. As long as you have the right key you just have to program the remote and keep hitting record untill it registers.. With the 522 and 625 you had to go to menu's and enable the UHF and cross you fingers trying to get it to work..
Mark

Local Dealers always make good friends

2 Hopper 2000's - 2 Joey 1.0's - Dish 1000.4 WA
-------------------------------------
DirecTV HR20-700 - HR24-200 - DTV SWMLine LNB
-------------------------------------
Wildblue SM2000 and dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...