Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHL Playoffs on Versus in HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   mtsz52784

mtsz52784

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

Yeah but it sucks for us here in Buffalo because F'ing MSG has to show the game in cr@ppy SD... so we get screwed out of HD content that we are paying for.
If you can read this thank a teacher -AND- since its in english thank a soldier!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts
  • LocationWinter Park, Florida

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

Why can't VS get HD camera's in the studio?? It is lame to watch the game in HD but watch the 4x3 picture in the studio. God I hate VS. Bring back ESPN and ESPNII - At least all the games would be in HD. At least there is a chance this year as this is the last year of the contract. Either side has an option to terminate without penalty. Come on ESPN, get hockey back and make Barry Melrose happy!!
GO GATORS!!!

#103 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

Why can't VS get HD camera's in the studio?? It is lame to watch the game in HD but watch the 4x3 picture in the studio. God I hate VS. Bring back ESPN and ESPNII - At least all the games would be in HD. At least there is a chance this year as this is the last year of the contract. Either side has an option to terminate without penalty. Come on ESPN, get hockey back and make Barry Melrose happy!!

I saw the last few minutes of the game was 4:3 for me. hmm, odd things happening tonight! pixelation, channels going out for me, In central PA, damn winds...

#104 OFFLINE   SinBin

SinBin

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

Why can't VS get HD camera's in the studio?? It is lame to watch the game in HD but watch the 4x3 picture in the studio. God I hate VS. Bring back ESPN and ESPNII - At least all the games would be in HD.

Good point. At the time OLN/Versus took over, I didn't think much about the HD affect. Now that I see 2 ESPN channels in HD 24/7, I'd rather have ESPN covering most games. Never was a huge fan of ESPN NHL broadcasts but I'd take 'em right now. Tonight I (we) ran into a problem where the Islanders/Sabres game was dwindling down while the SJ game started. The only coverage I have of both games is on Versus, so I missed the first 5 minutes or so of the Sharks/Preds game. This is not a big deal, BUT if the Isles game went into OT, we could have missed most of the SJ game since Versus has no alt channel. At least with ESPN, at times when a game went into OT they'd start the delayed game on ESPN2. However, this problem could have also been solved if DirecTV had Dish Networks same policy of allowing Center Ice users to choose which feed they want to watch as the Sharks/Preds game is also on Channel 654.

#105 OFFLINE   keep amonte

keep amonte

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:11 AM

Double header in HD last night! I agree, studio VS. HD feed needed. Correct guide data would be nice. But most of all, put the games on and I will find them, just glad I am not depending on recording anything in advance because that would be potlock!
GO BLACKHAWKS!!!
GO IRISH!!!

#106 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:21 AM

ESPN has more important programing to cover, things like car auctions, boring poker games, or hot dog eating contests. They could improve their lineup if they added grass growing and paint drying, to it. Their programing has really gone down hill over the past few years. I used to watch ESPN a lot, but now I watch, on their network, is an occasional pro football or baseball game.

I am sure that you will see a lot more HD, in studio and out in the field, soon. If they are limited with HD cameras, I would rather have them at the actual sporting event and not in the studio.

It was nice in this market, last night. Between Versus and Sun Sports we had all 3 playoff games in HD.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#107 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

Isn't the VS. NHL contract over after this season? I haven't heard anything new regarding if NBC will re-up for carry the games on VS. and NBC. Would be very nice to go back to ESPN, but now they have MLB, NFL, NBC and everything else you can think of. ESPN may not have enough available programming slots to carry many NHL games. Didn't they used to have hockey on at least 3 nights a week, and just about everynight for the playoffs? That was before HD..awww..would be nice!
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#108 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,639 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

Doesn't anyone remember how ESPN got the rights to National Boredom Association games a few years ago, so they severely cut back on their NHL coverage? Then Gary Bettman had his little press comference where he said that it was a GOOD thing for the NHL that their prime network was cutting them out?

Sorry, but on ESPN, regardless of the nice HD, always treated the NHL as the red-headed step child of sports. They would show college softball before NHL! With Vs., the NHL is THE DRAW. For most of the Vs. audience, then NHL is the only reason people know where to find the channel. The NHL is the first class citizen of Vs. Sure, their coverage was shaky at first, but they are growing quickly. Hopefully, with the new sats, we can get a full time Vs. HD feed. Not only that, but leveraging the interest of NHL fans, Vs. has added the NLL too. All in all, I watch Vs. a lot, and I hardly even notice that ESPN is still there.

One caveat: Since ESPN got the rights to Major League Lacrosse, and they will be broadcasting the games in HD this year, I will be spending much more time with ESPN this summer.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#109 OFFLINE   keep amonte

keep amonte

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

Sorry, but on ESPN, regardless of the nice HD, always treated the NHL as the red-headed step child of sports

I don't know about you, and I didn't have HD back then, but ESPN's NHL coverage was AWESOME! NHL2night was the best. There was at least one game per night on the average on ESPN2 and Clement and Thorne were in my opinion " TOP SHELF".
I would gladly welcome the addition of the NHL back to ESPN anyday!
GO BLACKHAWKS!!!
GO IRISH!!!

#110 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

I don't know about you, and I didn't have HD back then, but ESPN's NHL coverage was AWESOME! NHL2night was the best. There was at least one game per night on the average on ESPN2 and Clement and Thorne were in my opinion " TOP SHELF".
I would gladly welcome the addition of the NHL back to ESPN anyday!

Reasonable people can disagree. And I do. Though I have no problem with Bill Clement and Gary Thorne, I don't care for ESPN's presentation of any major sport these days, and agree with those who though that hockey was being treated rather poorly by ESPN.

#111 OFFLINE   dkgoalie

dkgoalie

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

Reasonable people can disagree. And I do. Though I have no problem with Bill Clement and Gary Thorne, I don't care for ESPN's presentation of any major sport these days, and agree with those who though that hockey was being treated rather poorly by ESPN.

If only D* could/would put up the CBC or TSN in their lineup, it would help.

So... after the satellites are launched will the RSNs be in HD, and if so, will us Center Ice'ers get some/most games in HD? Or will it be an add on to the package?

Regards...

- dk
_

An educated idiot is still an idiot...

#112 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

I would like to see CBC. I don't really understand why they haven't added it. They have programing from all over the world and none from Canada. Canada sure have enough of our programing, on their cable and satellite services. When I had my C-Band system I used to watch a lot of shows from CBC and CTV.

So... after the satellites are launched will the RSNs be in HD, and if so, will us Center Ice'ers get some/most games in HD? Or will it be an add on to the package?

Nothing has been announced about their future plans for CI.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#113 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

Definitely. I keep my Canadian (Star Choice) system installed and subscribed basically for HD hockey via CBC and TSN. Were D* to make those games available, I could drop that monthly expense.

I would imagine it will be possible the Canadian HD game broadcasts will be available in the future, since Center Ice has shown them before in SD. The channels themselves won't be added due to rights issues.

In a perfect world, once the CONUS birds are operational, we would get all available HD games -- and without having to purchase a "superfan" package.

Time will tell.

spam firewall