Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Big Ten Network Still Working to Be Seen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

By David Mercer, Associated Press Writer
Big Ten Network Negotiating With Cable Companies As August Launch Approaches

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) -- When it launches in August, the Big Ten Network wants to be available in every cable- or satellite-wired home in eight states where its schools play.
That's the goal, anyway.

Click Here for the entire article

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

Nice, since I live in Ohio, I won't need sports pak to watch my beloved Wolverines.......
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#3 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

Dodge Boy,

You traitor :)

Go Bucks!

Bruce

#4 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

"Beyond the eight states where Big Ten schools play -- Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin -- Silverman hopes to negotiate deals that will allow viewers to see the network on nothing more expensive than second-tier programming packages, those just above the basic level."

YES!! Please don't stop at the 8 states. These big schools have alumni all over the world...

A little trivia for you: What non-Florida school has the most alumni living in Florida?
A) Georgia
B) Texas
C) Penn State
D) Alabama
E) Michigan
F) Auburn
G) NC State

The answer: C) Penn State - A little surprising....

Bring some Big10 football down here please!!!

#5 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:02 AM

Dodge Boy,

You traitor :)

Go Bucks!

Bruce

Ha HA HA....... :D
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#6 OFFLINE   kocuba

kocuba

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:05 AM

Nice, since I live in Ohio, I won't need sports pak to watch my beloved Wolverines.......

Boy talk about disjoined loyalties... A wolverine fan in Ohio with a Gator avatar. :rolleyes: Well atleast you've got a good signature. :lol:

#7 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

Boy talk about disjoined loyalties... A wolverine fan in Ohio with a Gator avatar. :rolleyes: Well atleast you've got a good signature. :lol:

Well Wolverines (my Big Ten Favorite) and anyone who whoops it up on O.S.U. twice in one year! I don't play follow the leader.....
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#8 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

Well Wolverines (my Big Ten Favorite) and anyone who whoops it up on O.S.U. twice in one year! I don't play follow the leader.....

:P :P Hey scUM fan!!:P :P

#9 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 666 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

Let's just hope that DISH Network decides to carry the Big Ten Network. There are a lot of Buckeye fans out here in Colorado. It will be nice to get an alternative to Mountain West and Big 12 sports out here.

GO BUCKS!

#10 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Let's just hope that DISH Network decides to carry the Big Ten Network. There are a lot of Buckeye fans out here in Colorado. It will be nice to get an alternative to Mountain West and Big 12 sports out here.

GO BUCKS!

I'm an Indiana grad myself.

This is an interesting move by the Big Ten. Definitely means more $$$$ for the 11 schools, but you have to wonder if cable outlets in California, Texas, Florida, etc...basically non-Midwestern states will pick up this channel. Will this hurt recruiting for Big Ten schools because they won't be on ESPN nearly as much...will young prospects in states outside of the Midwest see the Big Ten teams that much? Somewhat risky if they don't receive carriage outside of DIRECTV.

Obviously it's a great move by D*. It should be interesting to follow this story.

#11 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:29 PM

Will this hurt recruiting for Big Ten schools because they won't be on ESPN nearly as much...will young prospects in states outside of the Midwest see the Big Ten teams that much? Somewhat risky if they don't receive carriage outside of DIRECTV.

Obviously it's a great move by D*. It should be interesting to follow this story.

Actually, Big Ten football and basketball will be on ESPN even more now than ever before. See, that's why they created the Big Ten Network, because instead of letting ESPN have their "lesser" games on ESPNU or Gameplan where no one could see them, they have forced ESPN's hand to put them on their primary networks, or not have the rights to show them at all.

#12 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

Actually, Big Ten football and basketball will be on ESPN even more now than ever before. See, that's why they created the Big Ten Network, because instead of letting ESPN have their "lesser" games on ESPNU or Gameplan where no one could see them, they have forced ESPN's hand to put them on their primary networks, or not have the rights to show them at all.

I hope you're right, that's not what I've heard through the grapevine. I have heard they plan on putting the major games on the BTN to try and force carriage. Much like ESPN used to put Duke vs UNC, etc on ESPN2 back in the day to force cable companies to pick up ESPN2.

#13 OFFLINE   auribe14@mac.com

auribe14@mac.com

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:32 PM

Big Ten Network article from Indy Star

This supplements the existing contracts with ESPN/ABC, CBS, etc. Instead of lesser games being only on local channels (ESPN Plus) or not at all, they will now be shown on BTN. An example from the article- Indiana Football will be shown on BTN six or seven times. This year, I think we were only on TV 2 or 3 times all year, not even making ESPN+ some weeks. This will actually increase the exposure for the weaker teams, nationally as well since it is going to be on DirecTV, at least. I can see a market such as LA carrying it as well, considering the Rose Bowl tie-in.

#14 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

Don't worry as long as D has them other carriers will follow :) D the leader in sports :sunsmile:

#15 OFFLINE   HateComCrap

HateComCrap

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

Yes...please don't stop at the 8 states. My daughter plays for Iowa's Field Hockey team and would love for my parents to be able to occasionally see her play.

Go Hawkeyes!!!!

#16 ONLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

Another Michigan fan here. Maybe this is a way to watch more hockey. GO BLUE!!!
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#17 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

Good luck. Hockey is about all you guys have left to root for these days. :lol:

#18 OFFLINE   woody16.2

woody16.2

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

Will the BTN have any HD content?

GO BUCKS!!!
HR20-700
networked to:
Media Center 2005 computer
VMC computer
Windows Home Server computer

#19 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

There's already a Big Ten network

it's called ESPN ;)

#20 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Quite possibly. This is a big question I have is since there's no Big10 hockey conference, would we see hockey? Since i've seen the commercials and they feature hockey, I'm curious what they'll show. Will they show key Big10 school hockey matchups? Will they show feature CCHA and WCHA games as long as one team is a Big10 team?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...