Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blackouts lifted for Cards games, not on E*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

As I mentioned the other day, comparing cable to E* to D* in each market is not appropriate, there are so many agreements and the rules are different from league to league, etc.

I know it "sounds easy", but it is incredibly complex because of all the various RSNs involved and various territories (which have sub territories).

At any rate, an interesting article today

http://www.sj-r.com/...ries/112111.asp

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:50 AM

I am so confused. I get FSN Midwest on channel 647 and have seen all of the games broadcast on there. So what does this mean?

#3 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

I am so confused. I get FSN Midwest on channel 647 and have seen all of the games broadcast on there. So what does this mean?

The blackout applied to states that surrounded Missouri. Where I live, I get FSN Midwest through the sports pack, FSN Midwest wanted their programming moved from the sports pack to the basic packages and until that happened, FSN Midwest requested that D* blackout the Cardnails games in my area.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#4 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

The blackout applied to states that surrounded Missouri. Where I live, I get FSN Midwest through the sports pack, FSN Midwest wanted their programming moved from the sports pack to the basic packages and until that happened, FSN Midwest requested that D* blackout the Cardnails games in my area.

Are you sure they actually HAVE moved FSM into the basic pkg - the article only says "confirmed that the network is working on a resolution with DirecTV", so I am NOT sure this means this has been done; only that people that USED to gets the Cards in their territories can do so again. ;) ;)

#5 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, I just figured that out. Thanks. I had to go to D* website to see what the big deal was. As soon as I
used a surrounding area's zipcode, I saw what the article is talking about.

#6 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

Are you sure they actually HAVE moved FSM into the basic pkg - the article only says "confirmed that the network is working on a resolution with DirecTV", so I am NOT sure this means this has been done; only that people that USED to gets the Cards in their territories can do so again. ;) ;)

Don't know as I already have the sports pack.

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#7 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

So was this why D* wasn't offering FSN Midwest HD to us, too? Or is that something different?

#8 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

I think it means people living in Central & Western Illinois will be considered "in-market" for Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, AND NOW the St. Louis Cardinals too .... meaning they won't be blacked out from any of those teams and PROBABLY won't need MLB-EI to see any of those games (aka: part of their basic package).

You live in Missouri so you were in the Cardinals market the whole time.
You won't be affected.
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#9 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:08 AM

meaning they won't be blacked out from any of those teams and PROBABLY won't need MLB-EI to see any of those games (aka: part of their basic package).

We never DID need MLB-EI to see these games - & it would NOT have done any good to have. (EI is for OOM games; the Cards are considered in-market for us)

Maybe you really meant to say the Sport Pak, which is what we DO (currently) need to see the Cards on FSM. ;) ;)

#10 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

ahhh
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#11 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:20 AM

Maybe you really meant to say the Sport Pak, which is what we DO (currently) need to see the Cards on FSM. ;) ;)

That's the boat i'm in with the Cardnails, Twins, & Brewers.

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#12 OFFLINE   bralph

bralph

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:39 AM

Can I take this as a good omen for the similar situation with Fox Sports Detroit and Tigers games in Northwest Ohio?

#13 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

So was this why D* wasn't offering FSN Midwest HD to us, too? Or is that something different?

Me too. I would like to see Directv offer more of FSN Midwest programming in HD. They have 37 games this year in HD.

#14 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

D* would love to offer more FSN Midwest programming to you in HD. Its FSN Midwest thats only putting out those 37 games. D* is only transmitting to you what FSN Midwest puts out HD wise.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#15 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

No, they are not. We don't really get FSN Midwest HD feeds.
The first game this year was a real surprise. That has been it though.

#16 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

http://www.directv.c...assetId=2300004

Doesn't appear that Fox Sports Midwest is on the list. IF FSMW is pulling this kind of stunt I can probably understand why there isn't an HD agreement.

However, if they do have one and the web site just isn't updated, you'll find the HD games on channel 96 or 97. They are in MPEG4 and you'd need an H20 or HR20 to get them.

#17 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

D* would love to offer more FSN Midwest programming to you in HD. Its FSN Midwest thats only putting out those 37 games. D* is only transmitting to you what FSN Midwest puts out HD wise.

No they don't. We will be lucky if they only broadcast 1/3 of them. I am saying I wish D* would broadcast all of them.

#18 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

http://www.directv.c...assetId=2300004

Doesn't appear that Fox Sports Midwest is on the list. IF FSMW is pulling this kind of stunt I can probably understand why there isn't an HD agreement.

However, if they do have one and the web site just isn't updated, you'll find the HD games on channel 96 or 97. They are in MPEG4 and you'd need an H20 or HR20 to get them.

When D* does broadcast FSN Midwest HD it is on channel 95. Maybe Satelliteracer can answer this question. Is the problem with FSN Midwest not having an HD agreement with D* or is it just a capacity problem?

#19 OFFLINE   pedro4868

pedro4868

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:47 PM

When D* does broadcast FSN Midwest HD it is on channel 95. Maybe Satelliteracer can answer this question. Is the problem with FSN Midwest not having an HD agreement with D* or is it just a capacity problem?

I've wanted to know the same darn thing for a while now. I don't think it would take that much bandwith for D* to add fsn mw in hd for the st. louis area.
Go Blues.....

Westinghouse 37" LTV-37w2
Olevia 27'' hdtv
5 LNB Sat.
HR-20 700 (1)
H20 Receiver (1)

#20 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

I've wanted to know the same darn thing for a while now. I don't think it would take that much bandwith for D* to add fsn mw in hd for the st. louis area.

I wonder if they have room to put it on the MPEG4 spot beam that we get our locals on?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...