Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mapdown question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   djacks

djacks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

I apologize if this is a dumb question.
Just received V4.03 upgrade from 3.66
HGTV shows different programs on SD and HD.
Now when I enter Channel 112 (HGTV SD) It displays the HD channel instead (same as Channel 9461.
How do I get to the HGTV SD channel instead?? The only way I have found is to go to the guide and manually select the 'other' 112 channel.

Normally being sent to the HD channel would be fine but there are occasionally different programs on the HD and SD channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

You can change the mapdown settings in various ways.
It's not obvious where it is, though: Menu-setup-local channels, then select the 'channel view' button. (I'm doing this from memory, it's definitely in the OTA channel scan screen)

There are two different parts. The left side selection controls how locals are displayed, the right side controls how satellite HD vs SD non-local channels are displayed.

The right-hand default setting works fine for HD/SD pairs where the same content is shown, but, as you discovered, not so well for the ones that have different content. I just turned off the right-hand stuff, although you might prefer a different setting. Play with it. I use HD-priority for the left-hand side.

My avatar says it all.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

You can also lock the individual mapdowns and then hide locked ... in case you like having a mapdown for 118, 138, 140, 144, 154, 186, 300, 318 and 350 but not 110, 112 and 182 (for example).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:58 AM

It's a lot simpler to tune to channel 112 and select down arrow to go to SD and up arrow to go back to HD - pretty intuitive if you ask me.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

I simply lock out all duplication of channels that are simulcast and use the new mirrored lower channel numbers instead. Eventually I take it that all sd channels will go hd so they will be replaced anyway with hd ones when they go all mpeg4 , so why not start locking out the inferior picture quality of those sd channels .

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

I simply lock out all duplication of channels that are simulcast and use the new mirrored lower channel numbers instead. Eventually I take it that all sd channels will go hd so they will be replaced anyway with hd ones when they go all mpeg4 , so why not start locking out the inferior picture quality of those sd channels .

But in this case it is not a simulcast.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:30 PM

There are only 2 stations that are not simulcast that I know of: Food tv and Hgtv.

#8 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

There are only 2 stations that are not simulcast that I know of: Food tv and Hgtv.

Also Discovery HD. And of course some locals, notably PBS stations.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#9 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

I thought Discovery hd was a simulcast of the same sd channel. Well I wouldn't watch it in sd anyway. Of course the locals are different, I was just talking about the national hd channels.

#10 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

OT I WANT MY PBS IN HD
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...