Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Black Screen and Screech Details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

Poll: BSOD and Screech (90 member(s) have cast votes)

BSOD and Screech

1. I have had random black screens since 4.01 and they are still in 4.03 (24 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. I have never had a black screen. (61 votes [67.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.78%

3. I had black screens in 4.01 but not in 4.03 (5 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

This thread is to address the serious flaw introduced in 4.01 and still in 4.03 that causes the random black screen and sometimes a screech with it. Please answer the poll and write down the specifics of when it happens on your system.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:19 AM

I have:
DP34 on Dish1000
It seems like they are random, but maybe more happen when I am watching one thing and recording another at the same time or in POP mode--which would make sense since that was introduced in 4.01. It happened about 4 times the first day with 4.03, and once yesterday. NEVER happened prior to 4.03. Is accompanied by a screech about half the time.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:57 AM

I Voted No black screens. Does not mean I have never had one with my 2 622s, but does mean that I have not had one with L4.01 or L4.03.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:19 AM

I get the black screen twice yestraday---checked the counter and it shows that my HDD stoped twice
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#5 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:29 PM

So far only one. And this time without the screech, more like white noise this time. I was getting 2 to 4 or these a day with 401 so maybe the fixed some conditions that did this (the release notes mention something about reset problems an some 61.5 configs).
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#6 OFFLINE   wamjdavis

wamjdavis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Black screen only with 4.03 ... which is not in your poll question as an answer

#7 OFFLINE   joebird

joebird

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

I get the black screen twice yestraday---checked the counter and it shows that my HDD stoped twice

Counter?
Vip622 x 2, 510, 110/119/129, DP44

#8 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

My lost locks counter keeps adding up as well. Never had any of these with 3.6x.

#9 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:22 AM

I've never had a BSD with any version, including 4.01 and 4.03. The 'lost locks' problem seems to have been introduced with 4.01; I went from typically 0 with 3.66 to 20-30 with 4.01. This seems to have been improved considerably with 4.03. I'm reasonably sure the lock count refers to signal lock from the satellite.

I haven't seen any HDD stops. Perhaps that's the condition that's causing the BSD? Of course, it could be that whatever is causing BSD causes the HDD to be stopped.

My avatar says it all.

#10 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

I've never had a BSD with any version, including 4.01 and 4.03. The 'lost locks' problem seems to have been introduced with 4.01; I went from typically 0 with 3.66 to 20-30 with 4.01. This seems to have been improved considerably with 4.03. I'm reasonably sure the lock count refers to signal lock from the satellite.

I haven't seen any HDD stops. Perhaps that's the condition that's causing the BSD? Of course, it could be that whatever is causing BSD causes the HDD to be stopped.

Perhaps for some. But my machine never showed HDD problems in the counters.
Ex Dish subscriber

#11 OFFLINE   bobn23

bobn23

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

I purchased one 622 as soon as they became available last year. It had always had screaching and random restarts, but I noticed that they improved over time to the point that they almost never occurred during software version 3.85. As soon as 4.01 came they started up again with a vengence and may be worse under 4.03. Last night while watching a basball game I had at least three restarts. I have noticed that it is very infrequent to record any program now without a restart. I called Dish yesterday and they are replacing the unit.

Interestingly, I had purchased another 622 a couple months ago and when 4.01 downloaded it coincided with a hard disk failure in that unit and that was replaced in that last couple weeks. I have noticed no restarts in that replacement unit and I have high hopes that the replacement for my older unit will be as solid.

-Bob

#12 OFFLINE   coldmiser

coldmiser

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:15 AM

I noticed yesterday that I was getting random black screens.

#13 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

:lol: I had back screens today...but my cat was sitting on my HDMI switch box remote
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#14 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

3 more black screens at annoying times tonight.

#15 OFFLINE   whatchel1

whatchel1

Hall Of Fame

• No PM's
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:57 PM

I've had the black screen/screech only during the time I had 401. I have had none since 403 came in my life. I checked HDD stops it shows 0. If that were causing the problem would it show for the 2 I had during 401 or was it reset when 403 arrived?

#16 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:50 AM

Ok guys.. I see posts from people experiencing this but not a lot of details in terms of configuration.. Based on the polls this seems to not be a common occurance that everyone is seeing but seems to be localized situation at this point. I don't have 61.5 so I curious if the people seeing this all have 61.5?

Ok.. when reporting these type of problems more details the better... The OP said lets get a thread going to capture the info, but at this point I am not seeing a lot of info just people indicating they are seeing them. I for one have not seen one on either of my boxes. Oh.. and I also see the lost lock count above 0.

Typical stuff

Mode: Single or Dual
What type of audio are you using?
What is your Dolby settings for your 622 at?
What is your Dish installation like?
Is your 622 on a power conditionar or UPS?
Is everyone only seeing this with Side by Side PIP?
Do you have OTA?
How many times a day are you seeing this?
Channel changing/Pip Swap fix it?
Have you done a power cord reset?
Have you done anything in terms of keeping yoru 622 cool?
Have you done anything like a factory reset? Cleared your switch matrix etc?
622 revision number?
Differences in counters in the diagnostic screen.

And anything else you think would be helpful based on your experiences...

tnsprin has two 622.. Seems to of had some occurrences with L4.01. They have been reduced on L4.03. Did you have these occurrence on both your 622s?

I know these the question may sound redundant or seem like a waste, however, they may show a pattern? they provide a clue to E* etc. Just saying you are getting them is interesting, but to E* engineers provides not value except perhaps makes them scratch there head.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#17 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:28 AM

I have the 61.5 sat in my switch check matrix using a dish 1000.2 sat dish. My lost locks go up every day in the 20's , 30's 40's daily. But I never have had any black screen or screeching screaming audio. The closest thing I get to audio problems, is when a timer kicks in on the other tuner my sound will elevate loudly on the tuner I am watching.

I have also cleared the matrix on both dvrs and replaced the sat cables , diplexors, and seperators on both to get my tuner back that I lost on both of my 622s. Other than the lost locks and the audio flucuations due to timers kicking in on the other tuners , the software is working for me.

#18 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:10 AM

Ok guys.. I see posts from people experiencing this but not a lot of details in terms of configuration.. ...

Note that I have not seen any black screens on my E vip622, but it does get somewhat less use. On a seperate issue both have seen complete lose of OTA channels under l401/l403.

Mode: Single
Usually use RCA audio through the TV's rather than activating my Stereos. In each case the stereo's are connected with optical.
The set having black screens has dolby/PCm (the other has pcm only)
Dish 500 with twin and dish 300 (61.5)with dual connected to a DPP 44.
On a UPS.
Never seen this while using pip. In fact don't normally use pip.
OTA is run seperately from a roof antenna. I have had failures both when using OTA and when not using it. With l403 the failure occurred while watching a previously recorded satellite program.
Was seeing this 3 to 4 times a day. With l403 have only seen it once in 5 days.
No remote controls work so could not swap, etc
I have done several power cord resets.
Have some added space below and nothing above. It is in regular room ari, but did nothing else for cooling.
Did try a NVM(ram) reset while on 401. Seemed to help for two days but then had several failures in a row on the next days.
Full number below.
Only counter change was AC/Pwr/hw wd. I am not sure if it always went up, or only when I pulled power.
Ex Dish subscriber

#19 OFFLINE   SMosher

SMosher

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:52 AM

Are you kidding me?! Such a small amount of 622 owners with this issue?

1) Single or dual mode?
Single Mode
2) When it happened, what channel and what type of audio where you watching. Was it DD 5.1, PCM, DD 2.0 etc.
OTA, SD and HD channels. The unit is set for Dolby & PCM
3) Type of audio conneciton.
HDMI
4) 622 revision number.
L 4.03
5) Did it just happen on its own or was it a result of a an remote action?
All on its own.
6) How many times have you experienced this.
Sometimes 2 to 3 times a day. Somtimes not for a week or so.
7) Was it Delayed, Live, or recorded content.
It was live
8) Where you able to get it to stop making the screech? if so, what did you do? PIP swap, jump back, channel change etc.
Hit ANY button on the remotes and it rebooted.
9) If recorded material, does replying the same scene cause it to happen again
N/A

Complete matrix switch reset.
Sat locations CURRENT 61.5,110,119,129.
DPP44 Switch.

Also to add.

Replaced DPP44 switch with alt DPP44.
Ran power cord directly to wall bypassing surge device.

Today I will disconnect sat location 61.5 from the system and give it a shot.

#20 OFFLINE   SMosher

SMosher

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:04 AM

Counter?

Counters.

Main Menu
Press 6 System Setup
Press 3 Diagnostics
Select Counters