Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Black Screen and Screech Details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

Poll: BSOD and Screech (90 member(s) have cast votes)

BSOD and Screech

1. I have had random black screens since 4.01 and they are still in 4.03 (24 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. I have never had a black screen. (61 votes [67.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.78%

3. I had black screens in 4.01 but not in 4.03 (5 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote

#51 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

I received the lnb drift message when I ran a system info check too on all of my 622s. The answer was to run a check switch without the cables connected to clear the matrix. I then reconnected and ran the check switch again. IT cleared up all the lnb drift issues, the second tuner not working properly and the run check switch messages .

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

Grandude... THere was a issued of a false Hard drive error that was pre L403/L4.01. Did you get this error with L4.01/L4.03 or was it 3.66?

Ron, It was with L403. I was/am hoping this is a false error but in checking the numbers, I may really have a problem with the hard drive as the HDD SMART status is now 255 and I believe it should be 0. The HDD START status is 0x0000 but the HDD START FAIL count is 1 which is probably what triggered the 311 error screen. I would guess that if this occurs again and the count goes up I may have to have my 622 replaced.
Oh, HDD average temp is 122F but I never hear the fan kick into high speed.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#53 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

We might be on to something. Please report the following:

HDD SMART Status (In the counters):
Hardware Revision letter (on back of maching:
Do you have LNB Drift:

My answers are:

C
Yes (like -6.25 or something on 129.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#54 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

I received the lnb drift message when I ran a system info check too on all of my 622s. The answer was to run a check switch without the cables connected to clear the matrix. I then reconnected and ran the check switch again. IT cleared up all the lnb drift issues, the second tuner not working properly and the run check switch messages .

I tried this it didn't do anything. Same LNB Drift message.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#55 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

Do you have LNB Drift:

My answers are:

C

Just as a data point.... My wife as indicated some audio issues. She did say she got a BSOD twice on one day but does not have the details and feels that it corrected by itself given time.

Number are for this TV

C
Yes I have drive on 148 LNB. I think is was -5

My other 622
B (I believe)
Same drift message

I will have to check my other box, but that one also is not showing the BSOD behavior
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#56 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

Do you have LNB Drift:

My answers are:

C

HDD smart status zeros
C
No lnb drift (using 61.5)
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#57 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:30 PM

Well the common thread so far seems to be the hardware iteration "C".

#58 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

Well the common thread so far seems to be the hardware iteration "C".

I also see one b posted. Still it could be only those models. I'd post a poll asking which model numbers have seen, but don't want to start a new thread. We already have quite a few on this.
Ex Dish subscriber

#59 OFFLINE   Bradtothebone

Bradtothebone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

Just to confuse matters a bit:

Since I did a power cord reboot and check switch on April 14, I have not had ONE single BSOD. I did have some wierd OTA stuff going on for awhile, but that seems to have cleared itself up, also.

I know this doesn't work for everyone (and I may just be having a lucky streak), but, for now, I'm feeling pretty good. My wife asks me almost every day about when we'll get external archiving, however!

Fingers X'd, everyone!

Going from memory, but I believe HDD Smart Status = 255
Version "C"
No LNB Drift indicated

Will check the above again tonight, as I haven't looked at any of this since the BSOD's stopped.
edit: The above info is correct.

Brad
Acquiring Signal...........Please Wait

#60 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:54 PM

Yeah.. My upstairs one has had two BSODs since L4.01 based on my wifes feedback but since I was not around I don't have any details on it. Mine is also showing 255, but my box is performing pretty reliable from what I can tell. I definitely would not classify spontaneous reboots/BSOD as being excessive with my box. My downstairs box shows 0 and I have not had any BSODs on L4.01/03 with that unit. the 255 code may be a clue but also could be a red harring.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#61 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:55 PM

I need to change my vote. I originally voted that I had never had a black screen. While that was not completely true, I had not had one in a very long time until tonight.

I was watching a recorded program on TV1 and my wife was watching a live sat channel on TV2. Neither of us were doing anything but watching when it all went black. After the front panel reboot, TV1 came back with video but no audio while TV2 was fine. I'll have to reboot it later to try and get audio back on TV1.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#62 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:03 AM

I had a BSOD the first day with 4.01 but had not had one with 4.03 until yesterday. Knock on wood, I have not had any mini-watchdogs with 4.03. I was having them about every 30 minutes whenever the 622 was in standby with 4.01.

#63 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:23 AM

Got my first BSOD with L404 this morning. The sound was less a screech than a loud noise this time.
Ex Dish subscriber

#64 OFFLINE   SMosher

SMosher

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

Got my first BSOD with L404 this morning. The sound was less a screech than a loud noise this time.

That sure sucks. Seems the 4.04 rev is for the OTA madness.
At least we can see the screech/reboot hasnt gone away.

#65 OFFLINE   slikkrock

slikkrock

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

I know this has been covered ad nausea throughout this forum without resolution, but any guidance and or suggestions about what to do with BSOD occurrences would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to have a rather large contingent of people over to watch the De La Hoya/Mayweather fight on Saturday, and needless to say, a BSOD during the fight would NOT be good!

I average at least 1 BSOD a night with the L4.03 release at random, unspecific times; either watching a recording, watching pic/pic, dual mode, single mode, live tv, it doesn’t matter.

Any thoughts or suggestions to ensure at least 3 hours of uninterrupted wonderful HD viewing would be appreciated!

Possibly a power cord disconnect for several hours, followed by the check switch etc…a separate wall outlet, a dedicated fan keeping her cool, whispers of sweet sentiments to the back panel??

What does she need?! Please help!

#66 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

What version is your box and what is your SMART status code?

I am theorizing that there are problems either with the hard drive that when it hits a spot on the drive it BSODs. So it appears to be random.

Either that or there is something wrong with "C" revision boxes, which 4.0x revealed. I still would like to be rolled back to 3.6x, but I know that won't happen.

#67 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:47 AM

What version is your box and what is your SMART status code?

I am theorizing that there are problems either with the hard drive that when it hits a spot on the drive it BSODs. So it appears to be random.

Either that or there is something wrong with "C" revision boxes, which 4.0x revealed. I still would like to be rolled back to 3.6x, but I know that won't happen.

You may be on to something as my hard-drive died after getting the BSOD for several days in a row. The Dish tech seemed not to be surprised and sent out a new VIP622.

So far after two weeks with the new box no BSOD ever and I do have the L403.
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#68 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

You may be on to something as my hard-drive died after getting the BSOD for several days in a row. The Dish tech seemed not to be surprised and sent out a new VIP622.

So far after two weeks with the new box no BSOD ever and I do have the L403.

My box has never shown any SMART codes (still zeroes). I don't think that's it. Error recovery on disks is better than that these days. Certain series of boxes like the c series could be possibly the case when some, as yet unknown, condition hits.
Ex Dish subscriber

Protected By... spam firewall...And...