Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using Diplexer or other on 2nd TV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bhoth

bhoth

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

Hi All,
I tried to find this answer but didn't see anything quite like this.

I have put a rather large antenna in my attic to pick up OTA HD signals. The cable from this antenna runs down in my basement where it is hooked up to a splitter (where cable from all rooms in my house are home-runned).

My second TV is a Vizio VX37L tv that has only one coax input. Because my new VIP622's output to the second tv is an SD picture, I would still like to view my local OTA channels in HD.

Can I use a diplexer or some other device to combine/merge the OTA cable coming from my basement splitter WITH the coax coming from the tv2 output of the VIP622?

I really am not a fan of coax switches that select from a-b as the ones I have used in the past have huge signal loss.

Thanks for any help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:54 AM

You can use a splitter to put these signals together. However you may have to play with the output channel of your dish receiver to find a happy medium channel that won't cause interference between the two. Not sure how well your tv processes atsc and analog shoved together but it should work.
Mark

Local Dealers always make good friends

2 Hopper 2000's - 2 Joey 1.0's - Dish 1000.4 WA
-------------------------------------
DirecTV HR20-700 - HR24-200 - DTV SWMLine LNB
-------------------------------------
Wildblue SM2000 and dish

#3 OFFLINE   bhoth

bhoth

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:58 AM

You can use a splitter to put these signals together. However you may have to play with the output channel of your dish receiver to find a happy medium channel that won't cause interference between the two. Not sure how well your tv processes atsc and analog shoved together but it should work.

I don't have any OTA channels on channel 3 which I assume is the default output from the VIP622 for tv2 so this should work.

Any recommendations on a good splitter?

thanks,

#4 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:08 PM

I don't have any OTA channels on channel 3 which I assume is the default output from the VIP622 for tv2 so this should work.

thanks,

Check that TV, as our 2nd TV from the 622 gets its 622 signal on Channel 60. If you look in the manual, it says the installer puts it on the first channel they find where three channels in a row are not being used.
Mary
*E since '98: Dish 1000.2,VIP622, VIP722K
*D since 4/07 for MLB EI, HR-21

#5 OFFLINE   brantlew

brantlew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:03 PM

The TV2 output channel is configurable from the 622 menu system and can be set to a range of channels 60+. Find a channel that won't interfere with any OTA channels and use that. Then just use a quality coax splitter/combiner from Radio Shack (~$10 ).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...