Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L4.03 update and external usb drive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrdnyquist

jrdnyquist

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

I received the L4.03 update a few days ago and everything seems to work OK except for the Multimedia Menu (option 4) USB storage feature. I plugged in an external 250 Gig Western Digital drive and the system does recognize it. When I try to goto "Dish Recordings" and either manage or send to device it says "This feature is currently not supported". When I try to do the same for photos it pops and says "receiving file list" and hangs for a very long time, I just end up bouncing the box after 10 or 15 mins.

Is this feature really not supported or could it be that it doesn't like my drive? I think I have it formatted ext3 but I can't remember, it could be NTFS as well. Should I try wiping out the partitions on my Linux machine and see if it will try and partition and format the drive itself?

Thanks!
-jrdnyquist

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:44 PM

USB External Hard Drives are still not supported. Dish is still working on it. Right now you can only use the USB port for viewing digital images, i.e. from your camera.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#3 OFFLINE   jrdnyquist

jrdnyquist

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

USB External Hard Drives are still not supported. Dish is still working on it. Right now you can only use the USB port for viewing digital images, i.e. from your camera.

They should grey out the buttons or hide the section that doesn't work then. It's very misleading to allow you to press the button and then say "not supported". It gives the end user a feeling of an incompatible usb drive. They could also add a button that starts a web server and allows you to schedule recordings remotely and then say "not supported" when you press it. Why bother adding menus for items that are known to not work?

Is there any place that documents the receiver's new usb drive features? I need to know what drive formats it can read etc.

#4 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

Is there any place that documents the receiver's new usb drive features? I need to know what drive formats it can read etc.

Not at this time. I would imagine this information would be released when the feature is released.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#5 OFFLINE   rtk

rtk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

Rob,
Do you really know if Dish is still working on adding USB external hard drive support or is it just your opinion? I'd love to see it happen I'm just skeptical of them really doing it. I'm hoping you know something as to me this is absolutely top of my wishlist.
Regards,
Rick

PS: whether fact or conjecture, any prediction on when we might see it added?

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:42 PM

The technology was demoed at the last CES show.. THere is a thread with pictures somewhere on here... Here is a thread discussion possible time table.

http://www.dbstalk.c...?t=68752&page=3

And here are the pictures from the CES show

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=75628
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

Try FAT32 as cameras and Archos using.

#8 OFFLINE   rtk

rtk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

Thanks all for your replies. I saw the external hard drive CES demo from a few months ago and I guess I was mainly trying to see if there was any new info, either public or private, regarding its potential release. Unfortunately as others have mentioned, showing a feature at a trade show does not mean it ever becomes a reality. My guess is that if its truly being considered it would be sent to beta testers first who might be restricted by NDA but I can still ask :sure:

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,326 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:31 AM

It has been showing up at trade shows for nearly a year ... not exactly the normal vaporware that shows up once and disappears and in this case, something that has to be put IN to working software just to be demo'd (can't do a mockup ... it has to work).

It seemed to be more of a legal issue the last time that E* talked about this. It can be done but can it be done without exposing content to hackers in a way that the program providers would disapprove?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   rtk

rtk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:24 AM

could anyone try asking for a status update of external hard drive support on charlie chat?

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

Rob,
Do you really know if Dish is still working on adding USB external hard drive support or is it just your opinion? I'd love to see it happen I'm just skeptical of them really doing it. I'm hoping you know something as to me this is absolutely top of my wishlist.
Regards,
Rick

PS: whether fact or conjecture, any prediction on when we might see it added?

I'm not Rob, but I do know absolutely that the external drive support is being actively worked on. As for a prediction, it will be released when DISH deems that it's ready. That's the best that anyone will be able to say. My guess is this year, but that's my personal guess not based on anything else other than my gut feeling on the matter.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

Protected By... spam firewall...And...