Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Update question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Artwood

Artwood

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:18 PM

I got DISH and the Vip622 but I don't have it hooked up to a phone line.

Does that mean there is no way for me to ever receive a firmware update? Do you have to have a phone line to update?

The reason I don't have it hooked up to a phone line is because the phone company charges out the wazoo for any kind of line and for internet access.

I'm currently running my computer and Vonage for my phone off a cable system that my apartment complex provides.

The internet access costs about $30 and the Vonage costs about $30. Is there anyway for me to come out cheaper and be able to hook up DISH to a telephone line or am I getting by about as cheap as I can and any other combination of phone and internet access will just result in me paying more?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

I got DISH and the Vip622 but I don't have it hooked up to a phone line.

Does that mean there is no way for me to ever receive a firmware update? Do you have to have a phone line to update?

The reason I don't have it hooked up to a phone line is because the phone company charges out the wazoo for any kind of line and for internet access.

I'm currently running my computer and Vonage for my phone off a cable system that my apartment complex provides.

The internet access costs about $30 and the Vonage costs about $30. Is there anyway for me to come out cheaper and be able to hook up DISH to a telephone line or am I getting by about as cheap as I can and any other combination of phone and internet access will just result in me paying more?

It does not use the phone line for updates.

You will incur a fee if you don't connect your phone line to something. The line does not have to be an internet able line.

Many have also been able to connect their receivers via Vonage. That would avoid the monthly fee from Dish.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#3 OFFLINE   Artwood

Artwood

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:29 PM

Would Vonage be able to tell me how to connect it? Do I have to have some kind of an adapter?

#4 OFFLINE   Borgie

Borgie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:36 PM

Would Vonage be able to tell me how to connect it? Do I have to have some kind of an adapter?

Sice you have Vonage, I'm assuming they gave you a router. My router has 2 phone ports but only one is active. All I did was buy a 2 way splitter and plugged it into the active phone jack on the router. Plug your phone into one and the 622 into the other. It works for me.

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...