Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Drive

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:01 AM

After seeing the previews for this for about a month now, I made it a point to check out. I DVRd Drive and after the first two minutes I was about to delete it but I'm glad I didn't. What a plot. My only complaint is too many characters, but hopefully some will be 'eliminated' in future episodes. Personally, I’d love to be involved in a $32mil illegal cross country street race. :)

Cars, hot chicks, suspense, hot chicks, looks great in HD and hot chicks, it's got my attention.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Galley

Galley

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

Has anyone mentioned the hot chicks? ;)

#3 OFFLINE   navy8ball

navy8ball

Legend/Supporter

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:27 AM

i really like this show too.
my word is my bond!

#4 OFFLINE   GFloyd

GFloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

I'm just glad it is on Fox ... otherwise it would be cancelled since the numbers were not that good -- and of course I like it, which increases the cancellation quotient by a factor of 10!

#5 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:04 PM

A few shows I watched on Fox got axed in the past couple of years, I do think Drive will be canceled, unfortunately, I hope I'm wrong, but then again Fox has kept The War At Home around, which I thought for sure wouldn’t last.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Down With Verizon!

#6 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

Fox cancelled FireFly, which was a great show! (and stared Nathan Fillion as well...).
Tim Minear is the Ex. Producer on Drive, which is awesome. He wrote some great episodes for FireFly (along with Joss Whedon, who is also great), not to mention some great Angel episodes and some good X-Files episodes. I hope this show does well.

(but this post is in the SD area.. I watched it in HD:) )

#7 OFFLINE   shmengie

shmengie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:09 AM

i'm on the border with this one. i think i'll give it one more episode to really grab me...

(i really want to like it. as a firefly fan-boy, i want to fillion do well...)

#8 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

i'm on the border with this one. i think i'll give it one more episode to really grab me...

(i really want to like it. as a firefly fan-boy, i want to fillion do well...)

So far I think it is worth watching but it is not great. So I will leave a series link to record it and watch it at some point during the week when there is nothing else on.

#9 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

Eh, this show is very mediocre. After watching the pilot, I can safely say that I don't think I'll be missing anything by not watching.

#10 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

hot chicks rule :)
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:45 PM

I think it's pretty good so far, but the really cheesy car chase scene in each episode is going to get old pretty fast.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

I like watching this show so far, but I do have a problem with how the race is conducted.

Each episode begins with people getting a "next location" clue to go to... then things happen along the way to impede them from getting there... but then everyone who makes it to the checkpoint is equal again as they start at the same time the next day.

What this means is that while drivers can be weeded out if they don't make it to the checkpoint... There is no incentive to be first because you lose any lead you might have the next day as all other drivers are allowed to catchup with you.

There is a penalty for being late, as we have already seen... but from first to next-to-last you are all equals again.

I would like to see whomever is first getting a phone call first with the clue to leave earlier than the rest of the folks to keep a lead. This would help up the tension on the other drivers.

Otherwise, except for weeding out the very last... all that really will count is the last leg of the race.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#13 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:05 PM

I think it's pretty good so far, but the really cheesy car chase scene in each episode is going to get old pretty fast.

Isn't this show pretty much one big car chase scene?:D

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#14 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:56 AM

Tonight’s episode was pretty farfetched, and a lot of things aren’t making sense. I thought Tully swore he didn't rob the bank in Kentucky when the fake Trooper went after him and now all of sudden he has experience in it being a watchman. How did Susan ever think she could win, even if she managed to come in first she still would have been DQd and thus no cash.

I totally agree with HDMe on how the race should be run. It seems being the first to the next check point means nothing as long as you’re not late.

I still like the show, but it's got some issues. And to top it all off my Fox affilate did not show Drive in HD this week.
Down With Verizon!

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

How did Susan ever think she could win, even if she managed to come in first she still would have been DQd and thus no cash.

The opening credits have actually been giving away one plot-point for the past couple of weeks... if you see how people are paired up in the cars, the blonde girl has always been back with the other girl and now with the new-mom in her SUV... so at some point they were going to steer the show to that matchup reflected in the credits... I just wondered when/how they were going to get there.

#16 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:05 PM

This show is some sort of "car race fantasy" show with females thrown in, rather than anything which actually makes sense. The race organizers seem to be both omnipresent (everywhere, all the time) and omniscient (aware of everything happening to every racer). This might be plausible if it were a traditional reality show, where participants are in a fixed location. But the fact that individuals are racing across the country means that it would be very hard to keep up with them and/or know exactly where they are at all times.

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:20 PM

This show is some sort of "car race fantasy" show with females thrown in, rather than anything which actually makes sense. The race organizers seem to be both omnipresent (everywhere, all the time) and omniscient (aware of everything happening to every racer). This might be plausible if it were a traditional reality show, where participants are in a fixed location. But the fact that individuals are racing across the country means that it would be very hard to keep up with them and/or know exactly where they are at all times.

Granted, there is a lot of suspended-disbelief that needs to happen in order to enjoy this show... but, the race organizers did provide cellphones to each participant. It is not unreasonable to assume that those cellphones contain GPS, so that all participants can be tracked... so it would be very easy to know where all racers are (or at least where their phones are) without too much trouble.

I imagine they also have their own "racers" that try to follow some of the cars around, or at least the ones where they want to mess with their heads a little... so the omnipresence really isn't that hard to pull off if they have some money backing them, and one assumes they do since the grand prize is 32 million!

Only thing I haven't seen... what about the cellphone chargers? Those batteries have to go dead at some point... Maybe they also provided car-adapters so they can charge the phones while they are racing?

#18 OFFLINE   GFloyd

GFloyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:58 AM

Tonight’s episode was pretty farfetched, and a lot of things aren’t making sense. I thought Tully swore he didn't rob the bank in Kentucky when the fake Trooper went after him and now all of sudden he has experience in it being a watchman. .

I got the impression that he way lying about his bank robbing past when he said to the fake trooper, "You don't want to meet the real Alex Tully." Also he swore that he did not kill that guy in the bank, which he apparently did not since he was the driver.

#19 OFFLINE   Elistan98

Elistan98

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

Exclusive: Fox Cancels Drive

Multiple sources confirm that Fox has axed the Tim Minear creation after less than three weeks on the air.

http://community.tvg...013604#comments

I then checked the web site and it shows last 2 eps showing this summer

http://www.fox.com/drive/

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

Not surprising, given what I've heard about the ratings... but frustrating when it comes to TV programming practices.

It seems to me that TV shows should not get a green light unless they are given a complete season (or half season in the case of these mid-season replacements). If ratings are not good over the full season, then don't renew for another season... but it makes no sense to me to greenlight partial seasons or cancel in mid-flight.

All this does, besides waste a bunch of money up front... is make the audience hesitant to watch the next new show. Think about it like this... if I know a show might not make it even the whole first season, I am hesitant to try it out because I don't want to be disappointed by not seeing the plot resolve itself.

I also am into comic books on and off... and an infamous series "Big Numbers" was advertised in the early 1990s as I think a 3-issue mini... and only 2 issues ever came out! Fans of that book were very frustrated after having invested in 2/3 of a story and never seeing the end.

This should just not happen in TV. If they don't intend to air a full season of a show, they should not greenlight the project. At some point audiences are going to stop patronizing new TV shows until after they see if the full season will air... and once advertisers get wind of this, they will begin to act accordingly too.

This particular show had all the earmarks of the kind of show that might not make it... and might get canned before the story could resolve itself... and unfortunately, that may very well be coming to pass now.

I liken this to sports where we have coaches now in the hall of fame who had very shaky initial years... John Wooden, for instance, the class of NCAA basketball in terms of championships... I think took like 15 years or something to win his first... In today's climate, Wooden would probably be canned after 4-5 years and never get to where he got back in the day!

Either give a TV show a chance, or don't start.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...