Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Subscription to DVR service?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dahenny

dahenny

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

Hi, I'm a long time Dish Network customer preparing to upgrade to HD.
I am considering the 622 but really don't want the dvr service. I want the 2 tuner receiver though.

If I own a 622, would Dish give me the option of not subscribing to dvr? I will probably buy one outright on eBay. If Dish requires the sub, I would just purchase a 211 and keep using a SD receiver on TV2.
THANKS!!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:52 AM

Hi, I'm a long time Dish Network customer preparing to upgrade to HD.
I am considering the 622 but really don't want the dvr service. I want the 2 tuner receiver though.

If I own a 622, would Dish give me the option of not subscribing to dvr? I will probably buy one outright on eBay. If Dish requires the sub, I would just purchase 2 211's.
THANKS!!!

You will have to pay the DVR fee.

#3 OFFLINE   dahenny

dahenny

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thank you very much! Now I know the direction in which to proceed. :)

#4 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

Persoanl opinion you might want to rethink foregoing the DVR.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#5 OFFLINE   dahenny

dahenny

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

Persoanl opinion you might want to rethink foregoing the DVR.

Yeah...I'm just trying to trim my monthly costs. I already have 4 receivers and since switching to DBS from c-band many years ago, I never got over having to pay extra for multiple units. I guess I'm just a tight wad.:grin:

#6 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:16 AM

I got my first DVR (which was my 622) just over a year ago. I wanted to go HD and decided to get the DVR version at the same time. Now, I don't understand why anyone would get a non-DVR receiver. Simply put, it sets you free. You no longer have to tie your time schedule to the TV schedule. And, time seems harder to come by as each year passes. Aside from your concern over the cost, to me its the best thing that ever happened to TV watching. I feel it is well worth the cost, but of course everyone has their own version of worth.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#7 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

I already have 4 receivers

Why don't you get the 622 and have it replace two of your receivers? You can use it for HD in the room where you primarily watch TV that has the HD television and then use the 2nd tuner in it for another room. That will cut you from 4 receivers to 3. There is a button on the front of the 622 receiver where you can switch it from 2 rooms to 1 room so that if someone wants to watch another program on the 2nd tv, all you have to do is hit the button. Leave it on 1TV when you want to have PIP in your main room.

That way, the fee for the DVR service will just about be covered by what you were paying for an additional receiver that you will now be able to deactivate.
Mary
*E since '98: Dish 1000.2,VIP622, VIP722K
*D since 4/07 for MLB EI, HR-21

#8 OFFLINE   dahenny

dahenny

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:42 AM

You're right, only a buck diff, I think. Got me to thinkin' again.

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

There is supposedly a ViP222, basically a non-DVR version of the 622. Dish's software page shows 2 versions of wide-release software but I've yet to hear of one in a subscriber's home.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#10 OFFLINE   dahenny

dahenny

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:05 PM

There is supposedly a ViP222, basically a non-DVR version of the 622. Dish's software page shows 2 versions of wide-release software but I've yet to hear of one in a subscriber's home.

That would be nice to have the 2 tuner option without the DVR. Ideally, I would use a 322 and a vip222 and save $10 per month with 2 less units.:)

#11 OFFLINE   ls7dude

ls7dude

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

I agree with the other gentlemen. Once you go DVR you don't go back.

I like how you can set the 622 up to record only new shows or weekly if you choose. I am really, really happy with this, but the audio difference between HD and SD is really making me angry.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...