Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help adding external esata drive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IdeaDirect

IdeaDirect

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

I've read the 41 page posts and did many searches and can't figure out my problem...

After finally getting the correct enclosure and connectors (initial one was SATA rather than eSATA) I can't get this thing to work...

Here is the hard drive I got:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular recording) ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Here is the eSATA enclosure I got:
BYTECC ME-747SATACOMBO Aluminum 3.5" eSATA & USB2.0 External Enclosure w/ cooling Fan

My original SATA enclosure had the wrong connector and a SATA >> eSATA cable was almost as much as the enclosure so I just bought a eSATA enclosure with an eSATA >> eSATA cable.

The drive has the jumper set to default at 1.5GB which I believe is the correct setting for the HR20. I've heard both 3GB and 1.5GB works but 1.5GB is the correct setting.

Here is what I am doing:
- I unplug and power off both the receiver and external hard drive and wait about a minute.
- I plug in the eSATA cable from the external hard drive to the receiver (both still powered off)
- I then plug in the external hard drive and let it power up. I wait about 15 seconds.
- I then plug in the receiver to power up the receiver. The blue power button comes on for about 5 seconds then goes out. If I press the power button nothing happens. Everything is just blank. If I wait 30 seconds, the unit powers up and goes through the setup. Even if I don't press the power button, the unit powers up after 30 seconds and goes through satellite settings. (seems like me pressing the power button does not do anything) Once setup is complete, the receiver is still using the old hard drive as my old recordings still appear and the disk space used is still at 48%.

Can anyone please offer any suggestions. I've been eager to get this going and have been frustrated because I initially ordered the wrong case and then ordered a wrong cable. Now I finally have the right equipment, it doesn't work.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GollyGee

GollyGee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.

Why not plug the drive into your PC with the USB cable, just to make sure it's working?

I did have some installation problems similar to what you've reported. It took a few reboots to get the HR20 to see my external drives; maybe you've gotten it to work by now. It took a long time for the initial bootup with the external drive. I guess it was formatting the drive, and it didn't display any message during the long process.

The jumper setting doesn't matter. The HR20 has a 1.5 Gbit/sec controller, but it will auto-negotiate with a 3.0 Gbit drive. No harm in using the 1.5 jumper setting, though.

#3 OFFLINE   IdeaDirect

IdeaDirect

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

Thanks. I'll keep trying. I have another HR20 upstairs I can try as well. I was afraid of hooking it up to a PC in case there was some sort of formatting a PC did to a blank hard drive.

I've also tried pluggin in the SATA cable with both the external hard drive powered on and off to no avail.

The problem is that the disk never formats. I read that a red light turns on the receiver when formatting which I never see.

Thanks for confirming I'm doing this right though. That is actually helpful information.

#4 OFFLINE   IdeaDirect

IdeaDirect

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:48 PM

Still no luck. I hooked up the drive to a computer and it worked fine. Although, I had to go to Disk Management to see the drive because it is a new drive and unformatted.

I left it unformatted... Should I possibly format the drive first? If so should it be Fat16 or NTFS?

I'm also hesitant to hook up the drive to my other HR20 because I read that the drives are paired to the unit so I don't want to accidentally end up with a drive that I can only use on the other HR20.

#5 OFFLINE   IdeaDirect

IdeaDirect

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:51 PM

I give up... Had a much easier time upgrading my Tivo.
I tried on the other HR20 many times and would still not format the drive.
I then tried using the other enclosure I have which is a SATA enclosure rather than eSATA so I used a SATA to eSATA cable. Again, nothing.

I either have bad enclosures, bad receivers or just bad luck. I'm tempted to open the box and disconnect the internal drive but this is not that important to me and I don't want to void my warranty and they are leased.

It was a good thought though and for those that got it to work, kudos. Now I have a 750gb SATA backup drive for my laptop I suppose.

#6 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:53 AM

I give up... Had a much easier time upgrading my Tivo.
I tried on the other HR20 many times and would still not format the drive.
I then tried using the other enclosure I have which is a SATA enclosure rather than eSATA so I used a SATA to eSATA cable. Again, nothing.

I either have bad enclosures, bad receivers or just bad luck. I'm tempted to open the box and disconnect the internal drive but this is not that important to me and I don't want to void my warranty and they are leased.

It was a good thought though and for those that got it to work, kudos. Now I have a 750gb SATA backup drive for my laptop I suppose.

You should test it on the other HR20. It won't spoil anything. It just won't let you playback on one dvr recordings made on another. But you can switch the ESATA back and forth between HR20s if you want. You'll see a list of all recordings on the drive, even though you can only play back the ones made on that same DVR.

Yesterday, I had a brief power outage; when I came hom, my HR20s had powered back up, but the ESATA drive was off. I had a bit up trouble getting the HR20 to recognize the ESATA again.

Try this: power down (unplug) both the HR20 and the external drive, and disconnect the drive from the HR20. Power up the drive. Connect it to the HR20. Plug in the HR20 power cord.

If it works on the 2nd DVR, try it again on the 1st HR20. This time, just unplug the DVR, swap the cable to the new DVR, and plug it back into the power.

If it works on one DVR but not the other, could be a faulty ESATA port. DTV should swap the machine for you , as a DBSTalk tester.

#7 OFFLINE   GollyGee

GollyGee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

I read through this again... I'm sorry you're having so much trouble, it wasn't this hard for me.

After you attach the drive to your HR20 and it fails, you could try a good old red-button reset -- press the red button on the front of the case, next to the smart card.

Try formatting the drive on a PC. It doesn't really matter which file system you choose, because the HR20 will reformat it anyway. But see if the drive will take a quick NTFS format and make sure you can write some data to it.

If the drive takes a format, then it's good, so your problem is either the eSATA cable (unlikely) or your HR20.

Oh, and you can move the drives from one HR20 to another, but I don't think the recordings will transfer, that's all.

#8 OFFLINE   TWJR

TWJR

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

Don't know if this will help. I finally got the Seagate ProAM 750gb to work after two days of switching cables and exchanging units at Frys. What finally got it;

Pluged in HD; did not turn it on as I had done previously. Connected cable to HD and then to HR20. Waited two minutes and plugged in the DVR . At that point the HD powered up on it's own. Waited a couple of more minutes and turned on the DVR. Booted up and worked. The main difference was that this time I never manually turned on the HD.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,966 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

Usually 'HD' mean HiDef and 'HDD' - hard disk drive.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...