Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB Blackout Mistakes Devil Rays

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

Once again Directv seems to believe that Southeast Florida is near Tampa. Tonight's game (Orioles at Tamp Bay) is blacked out on 736 (it's on Game Mix).

The game is NOT on any local RSN in the area.
My zip code is 33445 (Marlins territory) which is NOT in the Devil Rays area.

BTW, here's the MLB regional areas for those that are interested.
http://mlb.mlb.com/m...tions/mlbtv.jsp

Why can't they just get this stuff right rather than continually putting their customers through this.

As a side note...I'm on the phone with D CSRs and they have confirmed that I am not in the blackout area...but they can't figure out how to fix the problem.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:25 PM

Once again Directv seems to believe that Southeast Florida is near Tampa. Tonight's game (Orioles at Tamp Bay) is blacked out on 736 (it's on Game Mix).

The game is NOT on any local RSN in the area.
My zip code is 33445 (Marlins territory) which is NOT in the Devil Rays area.

BTW, here's the MLB regional areas for those that are interested.
http://mlb.mlb.com/m...tions/mlbtv.jsp

Why can't they just get this stuff right rather than continually putting their customers through this.

As a side note...I'm on the phone with D CSRs and they have confirmed that I am not in the blackout area...but they can't figure out how to fix the problem.

Strange. There are parts of Florida that are claimed by both the Marlins and Rays (see http://www.maurybrow...Territories.jpg), but you are definitely be in Marlins-only territory.

You seem, however, to be being treated as if you're in Rays territory as well. And since EI was using Baltimore's broadcast, you were blacked out. Doesn't matter whether the game was televised locally or not...D* is treating you as part of Rays territory, so it won't ever let you see the other team's feed.

Elsewhere on the MLB site, you can get a list of zip codes claimed (blacked out) for each team:

http://mlbplayers.ml...ex.jsp#20070416

Delray Beach is not on the Rays list. As you already know....but as D* doesn't seem to.

You are in the right here. I wish you luck in getting someone at D* to fix things for you!

I will have to try to watch the Marlins when their opponent's feed is used for EI. For all I know, D* is doing the same thing to me in reverse. I have watched a few Marlins games this year, but only FSN Florida broadcasts.

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:05 AM

I can watch the game on the mlb.com website without an issue. D is making a mistake and there is no way for a customer to even send an inquiry to the person that makes that decisions.
This is just such poor customer service on their part.

#4 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:25 AM

I can watch the game on the mlb.com website without an issue. D is making a mistake and there is no way for a customer to even send an inquiry to the person that makes that decisions.
This is just such poor customer service on their part.

Yeah, I can easily imagine that this type of request would fall into a black hole...though I would guess you'd get fixed up quickly IF you could get through to the right person at D*. Perhaps one of the CSRs who post around here--and who have a clue about sports blackout issues--can provide some help.

#5 OFFLINE   Villager

Villager

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

MLB Blackouts

According to Mapquest, Pensacola, Florida is 670 miles from Miami and 470 miles from Tampa (estimated drive time 10 hours and 7 hours, respectively). Yet, according to the MLB website, both the Marlins and the Devil Rays claim Pensacola to be in their territory, and we are blacked out. Atlanta is 352 miles, and we are not blacked out by the Braves.

Something doesn't make much sense to me.

#6 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

MLB Blackouts

According to Mapquest, Pensacola, Florida is 670 miles from Miami and 470 miles from Tampa (estimated drive time 10 hours and 7 hours, respectively). Yet, according to the MLB website, both the Marlins and the Devil Rays claim Pensacola to be in their territory, and we are blacked out. Atlanta is 352 miles, and we are not blacked out by the Braves.

And just think, if you were a few miles to the west in Alabama, you would be claimed by the Marlins, DRays, and Braves. After all, we know how many Marlins fans there are in south Alabama. :) MLB and the teams set these territories, and the consensus seems to be that they are way too large and have too many overlaps. Do fans in Mobile AL care about the Marlins? Do fans in Charlotte NC care about the Nats or the Reds? Do fans in Billings MT care about the Mariners? MLB says they do.

#7 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

MLB Blackouts

When you say blacked out, do you mean blacked out on EI? If that's what you mean, then DirecTV and MLB are in the right to black you out on EI as you state you are in the "home market" for both TB and FL. Perhaps the sportspack might help you. Where I live, Comcast Sportsnet Chicago is the primary RSN in Total Choice+, however, with the sportspack, I get every other midwestern except KC which doesn't make much sense as KC is the closet MLB market to Des Moines.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#8 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

The issue here isn't the blackout zones. The issue is that MLB has picked my zip code to be the Marlins home territory ONLY and not the Devil Rays. That being the case blacking out Devil Rays games shouldn't be happening.

I have called MLB's offices on this and they agree. They don't black out the games to me on mlb.com. Unfortunately, D does a great job of shielding themselves from ever dealing with customers by having CSRs that are given scripts and little training and Supervisors that generally refuse to get on the phone and never, ever call back.

I am always polite and soft-spoken, I don't yell or tear into the reps...I understand they can only do what they know.

If someone from D would be kind enough to send me a PM with someone I could talk to...or send me a response on this matter I'd be much obliged. If not, I guess my only choice is to see if Comcast's EI package is correct and go to a new provider. This isn't meant as a tantrum-driven threat...it's the only option for a customer that went with D primarily because of EI.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is some secret blackout rules that apply to D that aren't posted anywhere and that the person from MLB that I spoke to doesn't know about...and doesn't appear on the MLB website or the territory map.

#9 OFFLINE   Brentorious

Brentorious

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:17 AM

The MLB blackout rules in general are so confounding, so illogical, and so complex, that they are difficult not only for fans to deal with, even the satellite carriers can't keep it all straight.

The rules are not good for the sport and they need to be dumped and replaced with rules that serve the intent of blackout rules. MLB EI subscribers should see every game. Period. If the price needs to go up, fine. I just want to know how much it costs so that I never see another infuriating "not available in your area" message again.

It's difficult for me to think of another good or service that I buy, where the vendor goes to such great lengths to elude my patronage.

#10 OFFLINE   Brentorious

Brentorious

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:19 AM

I encourage everyone who agrees, to fire off an email to MLB stating your opinion. Here's the link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/m.../contact_us.jsp

#11 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:41 AM

DirecTv is not without fault here.

Where I live The Reds, Indians, and Tigers are all considered my local teams. DirecTv ONLY provides the FoxCinci Ohio channel as our local sports channel.l They say this is MLB.

Why then does the local cable provider gives its customers Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Detroit and Sports Time thus allowing their customers toi see all their local teams?

I agree the blackout rules are a mess and counter productive............but DirecTv shoulders some blame here to (at least in my area)

Bruce

#12 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

Where I live The Reds, Indians, and Tigers are all considered my local teams. DirecTv ONLY provides the FoxCinci Ohio channel as our local sports channel.l They say this is MLB.

Why then does the local cable provider gives its customers Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sports Detroit and Sports Time thus allowing their customers toi see all their local teams?

I agree the blackout rules are a mess and counter productive............but DirecTv shoulders some blame here to (at least in my area)

Bruce

Plus, note that if you sign up for sportspak you get those other RSN's, it's not M-L-B it's G-R-E-E-D.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#13 OFFLINE   Brentorious

Brentorious

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Bruce

Just out of curiousity, if you buy MLBEI, are you still blacked out?

#14 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

I have MLBEI and yes they are blacked out. Unless Detroit or Cleveland is the national game I will see NONE of their games.

According to DirecTv adding the sports pak NO LONGER gives access to the games. They are still blacked out. In previous years adding the Sports Pake gave me the Detroit games and Cleveland games. Not any longer.

Here is another reason I think DirecTV is part to blame. If you use my zipcode (43501) to check what5 programming is available here is what you find:

If I subscribe to Total Choice I get:

FSN Ohio (Ch. 637)
# Cleveland Cavaliers (SD Only)
# Columbus Blue Jackets (SD Only)

FSN Cincinnati (Ch. 638)
# Cincinnati Reds (SD Only)
# Columbus Crew (SD Only)

If I subscribe to Total Choice Premier I get:

FSN Detroit (Ch. 636)
# Detroit Red Wings (SD Only)
# Detroit Tigers (SD Only)

FSN Ohio (Ch. 637)

FSN Cincinnati (Ch. 638)

Note Sports Time for the Cleveland Indians is not available, even though they are considered a local team. It seems DirectTv is telling me IF I want to see Detroit baseball games, which they consider one of my local teams, I have to subscribe to the Premier package (for the extra 30.00)

If my local cable company gives its customers all three (Reds on Fox Sports Ohio/Cinci, Indians on Sports Time, and Tigers on FOx Detroit, then DirecTV should be able to do the same (the same blackout rules apply everywhere)

Part of the problem is that last year the Indians moved from Fox Sports Ohio to Sports Time.

Bottom line it is all messed up. I live 2 hrs from Detroit.........no game. I live two hours from Cleveland...........no game. I live 4 hours from Cincinnati and I get their games. No problem........because I am a Reds fan BIT I am also a BASEBALL fan and I would like to see Detroit and Cleveland.

It pretty sad you can drop 200.00 for a baseball package that keeps yo u from seeing the games of teams 2 hours or less away.

I am surprised I get the White Sox and Cubs games. By the above logic, since they are only 3 hours away they should be blacked out.

Bruce

Added note: Of course finding a CSR at DirecTV that even remotely understands these issues.........I have yet to find. I have resigned myself to that is the way it is. It is really a Yankees conspiracy. I get ALL their games :)

#15 OFFLINE   Brentorious

Brentorious

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

I have MLBEI and yes they are blacked out. Unless Detroit or Cleveland is the national game I will see NONE of their games.

According to DirecTv adding the sports pak NO LONGER gives access to the games. They are still blacked out. In previous years adding the Sports Pake gave me the Detroit games and Cleveland games. Not any longer.

Here is another reason I think DirecTV is part to blame. If you use my zipcode (43501) to check what5 programming is available here is what you find:

If I subscribe to Total Choice I get:

FSN Ohio (Ch. 637)

FSN Cincinnati (Ch. 638)

If I subscribe to Total Choice Premier I get:

FSN Detroit (Ch. 636)
# Detroit Red Wings (SD Only)
# Detroit Tigers (SD Only)

FSN Ohio (Ch. 637)

FSN Cincinnati (Ch. 638)

Note Sports Time for the Cleveland Indians is not available, even though they are considered a local team. It seems DirectTv is telling me IF I want to see Detroit baseball games, which they consider one of my local teams, I have to subscribe to the Premier package (for the extra 30.00)

If my local cable company gives its customers all three (Reds on Fox Sports Ohio/Cinci, Indians on Sports Time, and Tigers on FOx Detroit, then DirecTV should be able to do the same (the same blackout rules apply everywhere)

Part of the problem is that last year the Indians moved from Fox Sports Ohio to Sports Time.

Bottom line it is all messed up. I live 2 hrs from Detroit.........no game. I live two hours from Cleveland...........no game. I live 4 hours from Cincinnati and I get their games. No problem........because I am a Reds fan BIT I am also a BASEBALL fan and I would like to see Detroit and Cleveland.

It pretty sad you can drop 200.00 for a baseball package that keeps yo u from seeing the games of teams 2 hours or less away.

I am surprised I get the White Sox and Cubs games. By the above logic, since they are only 3 hours away they should be blacked out.

Bruce

Added note: Of course finding a CSR at DirecTV that even remotely understands these issues.........I have yet to find. I have resigned myself to that is the way it is. It is really a Yankees conspiracy. I get ALL their games :)

Unbelievable. I think I'd have to consider changing my service address to Boise, Idaho and just have them bill my credit card.

Agree on the Yankee thing! I get every single one, usually in HD.

#16 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

I wish I got all of the Yankees games and all in HD.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#17 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

Keep watching ESPN/ESPN2/or Fox. These are the secondary YES networks.

#18 OFFLINE   Paperboy2003

Paperboy2003

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:47 PM

What I want to know is how things could be blacked out on D* or cable and still available on MLB.TV (or .com, whatever they call it). I realize that the rules for cable and Dish are different, but how do they get to show it over the internet and isn't that an unfair monopoly? If they can show EVERY game and D* or Cable can't, that seems unfair.
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

#19 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

I am in Tampa and this season at least I am getting the reverse of this "problem" but it actually helps me a little bit well at least until the new birds go up...

I get treated like I am in Marlins and Rays territory even though MLB considers me only in Rays territory (I have a zip within the city limits of Tampa) but for me this is not bad. The Marlins have no OTA games (all televised on Sunsports or FSN FL) and televise over 150 games a year ABOUT 90 IN HD which I get on the MPEG4 Spot beam on channel 96 -- I am not treated like a Heat or Pathers territory member and am blacked out of their games on 96 (I am an MLB EI (w/superfan) and NHL CI sub but not an NBA LP sub). So I get a bunch of Marlin HD games that I wouldn't get otherwise and miss very very few Marlin Games .... although when the new bird goes up I would be missing HD feeds of Marlin games when they don't broadcast in HD (half of the time) and the other team does ........ I will complain about it then in the meantime I will enjoy my extra HD games and watch MLB.TV through a video card on my set if I really am that desperate to see the marlins play ....

#20 OFFLINE   vansmack

vansmack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

What I want to know is how things could be blacked out on D* or cable and still available on MLB.TV (or .com, whatever they call it). I realize that the rules for cable and Dish are different, but how do they get to show it over the internet and isn't that an unfair monopoly? If they can show EVERY game and D* or Cable can't, that seems unfair.

This may have changed, but when I had MLB.TV in I was blacked out based on the zip code of my IP address, not my billing address (remember one of there selling points for MLB.TV is the ability to see your home team when you travel). I was physically located in Washington, DC at the time, but we had an AT&T T1 that was piped to white plains New York (the address on my IP). I was nearly never blacked out of local games I should have been blacked out of. They have no check for stuff like that.

spam firewall