Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB Blackout Mistakes Devil Rays

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

Same crap again tonight. Game is blacked out.
This time I called again and got someone else.
He "resends" my programming and the game comes in. So..three people last night tell me the game should be blacked out. One says it shouldn't they promise to call back and never do.
Tonight the tech guys says I should get it...resends and I get the game from the 5th inning on...at least I didn't have to sit on the phone for 1:45.
If this stuff is happening to you...keep calling them. My guess is they do log the NUMBER of calls on a particular issue and if it gets big enough someone may bother to take a look.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

I am in Tampa and this season at least I am getting the reverse of this "problem" but it actually helps me a little bit well at least until the new birds go up...

I get treated like I am in Marlins and Rays territory even though MLB considers me only in Rays territory (I have a zip within the city limits of Tampa) but for me this is not bad. The Marlins have no OTA games (all televised on Sunsports or FSN FL) and televise over 150 games a year ABOUT 90 IN HD which I get on the MPEG4 Spot beam on channel 96 -- I am not treated like a Heat or Pathers territory member and am blacked out of their games on 96 (I am an MLB EI (w/superfan) and NHL CI sub but not an NBA LP sub). So I get a bunch of Marlin HD games that I wouldn't get otherwise and miss very very few Marlin Games .... although when the new bird goes up I would be missing HD feeds of Marlin games when they don't broadcast in HD (half of the time) and the other team does ........ I will complain about it then in the meantime I will enjoy my extra HD games and watch MLB.TV through a video card on my set if I really am that desperate to see the marlins play ....

Very interesting indeed. I guess that explains why I was able to watch the Marlins MPEG4 HD feed on 96 (but not Heat/Panthers, as you noted). Talked to a friend that doesn't sub to EI and he is getting Marlins FSN (including HD) games as well. So it sure seems like the whole danged state is now being claimed by both teams as far as D* is concerned.

As you note, this is great for us in Tampa, since we can get all Rays games anyway and the Marlins don't do OTA. But it isn't as nice for the O.P., since he can't get the substantial number of Rays OTA games in any fashion at all via D*. (Though I just read the rest of the thread and it looks like he got access to the EI feed, at least tonight).

#23 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

Same crap again tonight. Game is blacked out.
This time I called again and got someone else.
He "resends" my programming and the game comes in. So..three people last night tell me the game should be blacked out. One says it shouldn't they promise to call back and never do.
Tonight the tech guys says I should get it...resends and I get the game from the 5th inning on...at least I didn't have to sit on the phone for 1:45.
If this stuff is happening to you...keep calling them. My guess is they do log the NUMBER of calls on a particular issue and if it gets big enough someone may bother to take a look.

Glad you finally got someone to take action. Hopefully it will stay fixed for you!

#24 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

Hmmm...

I just found that FSN-FL states in their press releases announcing the Rays and Marlins HD schedules that the games of each team will be available in the Miami, Orlando and Tampa markets:

Marlins
Rays

And the Rays general schedule news release states that the games will be available statewide: http://www.sunsports...iew&news.id=394

So it seems that there is definitely some "interesting" stuff going on in terms of broadcast territories for MLB down here.

#25 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:00 PM

Do fans in Mobile AL care about the Marlins? Do fans in Charlotte NC care about the Nats or the Reds? Do fans in Billings MT care about the Mariners? MLB says they do.

No, the owner of the Mariners says that fans in Billings MT care about the Mariners. The owner of the Nats say that fans in Charlotte care about the Nats. The only reason why it took so long to get a team into DC was because Baltimore didn't want to lose territory. It's all about the individual teams making the money - MLB just acts in the interests of the owners.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#26 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:14 PM

It's all about the individual teams making the money - MLB just acts in the interests of the owners.

Indeed.

I do fail to see, though, how some of the absurd territorial rights being claimed by MLB teams are making the owners any money. In fact, they could be taking money out of their own pockets when fans in some of these areas (claimed by multiple and often quite distant teams) decide that the MLB-TV or EI packages aren't worth their while because of the restrictions.

Territorial rights in and of themselves are understandable. However, the way MLB handles them (compared to the other major sports) is just plain awful and I would argue quite wrongheaded.

Selig promised last year that he was going to look into this...but no results have been seen.

#27 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

Well, it's archaic - it's 80 years old from the radio days
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#28 OFFLINE   chopperjc

chopperjc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

Well, it's archaic - it's 80 years old from the radio days

Kind of like Bud:D
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

spam firewall