Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connection HR20 to network (from VOD thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:10 PM

Edit: This thread was created from a VOD is coming thread and really needed to be separated out into its own thread. Tom Robertson

So will you still need a wireless ethernet bridge?

You have never needed a wireless Ethernet bridge, and you still won't. The only reason you'd need one is if you can't string an Ethernet cable to your HR20's location.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:07 PM

You have never needed a wireless Ethernet bridge, and you still won't. The only reason you'd need one is if you can't string an Ethernet cable to your HR20's location.

Which is exactly what I'm going to do. I want the best connection for this so I'm going to buy a $20 hub and drill a hole in my foor to string the cable to my basement. I don't want a flaky wireless connection messing up my enjoyment of this.

#3 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

Don't forget that Powerline ethernet adapters are another option. My XE104 has 4 ethernet ports and I'm using 2 of them now - 1 for the HR20, and another for my Toshiba XA2 HD DVD player. Works great! :)

#4 OFFLINE   mnbulldog

mnbulldog

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

If you can't get Ethernet behind your entertainment center get one of these powerline ethernet adapters. Way better than wifi and you can hook up to 4 devices in one unit. I have one with Slingbox, Roku, HR20 and 360 on it - one box instead of 4 wifi eth bridges.

Clicky

#5 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

VOD has nothing to do with a computer. All you need is a broadband connection. The only reason you'd need a computer is if you want to schedule VOD downloads using DirecTV's website.

Should have been clearer, I use an Athlon based computer as a wireless bridge to my router (the computer was already at the HR-20 location, fishing cat 5 is not an option.). I have the problem with songs stopping after about ten minutes. I am wondering if I will still get the same dropout when I run VOD through the bridge.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#6 OFFLINE   BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

I ran one 5 port Netgear wireless bridge to 2 hacked DTivo units connected via USB wired ethernet connectors - worked perfect for over a year. The bedroom and living room share a wall, so it was easy to run a short cable between the units to the bridge. I used it for MRV, streaming video to a PC, and the web interface. I still have the bridge connected to my one remaining DTivo. I have never considered the bridge "flaky".

#7 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:11 AM

Wonder if Directv will still require you to use an intel/viiv computer for VOD?

Better not no way in hell am I dumping my Macs. Guess I better get in gear and buy that Airport Express for the HR20. :D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#8 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

I want the best connection for this so I'm going to buy a $20 hub

I know the terms are interchanged, but you want a switch, not a hub.;)

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:30 AM

I know the terms are interchanged, but you want a switch, not a hub.;)

I believe you are correct. My bad. :(

#10 OFFLINE   MNT

MNT

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

Guess I better get in gear and buy that Airport Express for the HR20. :D

Just wanted to mention -- I had an extra AirPort Express laying around when I got my HR20, and I had the same idea. Turns out, it does a great job of connecting the HR20 to a wireless network. Just plug it in, tell it the wireless network to join, and as they say, "there's no step 3." :)

#11 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

Just wanted to mention -- I had an extra AirPort Express laying around when I got my HR20, and I had the same idea. Turns out, it does a great job of connecting the HR20 to a wireless network. Just plug it in, tell it the wireless network to join, and as they say, "there's no step 3." :)

Aint it great to have a Mac? :D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#12 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

Will using a wireless USB adapter to plug into the HR20 work so I don't have to run a cat-5 line to the back of my receiver? If so, can anybody give me some suggestions and/or links so I can buy one?

#13 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

Will using a wireless USB adapter to plug into the HR20 work so I don't have to run a cat-5 line to the back of my receiver? If so, can anybody give me some suggestions and/or links so I can buy one?

No. You can use a wireless game adapter that connects with a ethernet cable. The USB ports will not work for wireless.

#14 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:49 PM

No. You can use a wireless game adapter that connects with a ethernet cable. The USB ports will not work for wireless.

Any recommendations on which one to get?

#15 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

Any recommendations on which one to get?

I would go with whatever brand your wireless router is. I have a Linksys router and game adapter.

#16 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

I would go with whatever brand your wireless router is. I have a Linksys router and game adapter.

Ok, I have a linksys router so I will go with a linksys adapter

#17 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:46 AM

I have a Westell VersaLink 327W wireless modem/router (Verizon) but I can't find any Westell game adapter. I do have the the USB wireless adapter but that won't work, so how would I connect for this VOD?
(2) HR20-700S
(2) Sony KDL-40V2500 LCD (HDMI)
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center
Universal RF20 remote control

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

I have a Westell VersaLink 327W wireless modem/router (Verizon) but I can't find any Westell game adapter. I do have the the USB wireless adapter but that won't work, so how would I connect for this VOD?

Not what you were hoping to find, but here's one person's solution: http://boardsus.play...sage.id=1332593

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:24 AM

While matching brands is marginally helpful (especially if you have to call in for support), any wireless bridge or game adapter will work fine.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#20 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

While matching brands is marginally helpful (especially if you have to call in for support), any wireless bridge or game adapter will work fine.

Cheers,
Tom

Any difference between a wireless bridge and game adapter? I am completely in the dark here. How is the wireless bridge or game adapter setup with connection for HR20?
(2) HR20-700S
(2) Sony KDL-40V2500 LCD (HDMI)
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center
Universal RF20 remote control

spam firewall