Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connection HR20 to network (from VOD thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

Sounds like a setup issue with the Buffalo.

Remember your DNS and Gateway will be the same IP as the router, like 192.168.1.1 or whatever IP you use to connect to the router for setup.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   windycityme

windycityme

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

Thanks to all who helped me get the Buffalo and HR20 working. I now have a completed setup on the HR20, however, now I don't see the Music or Video items on the Hr20 Menu. I've tried WMP11 and TVersity.

When I had the DLink G810 it worked fine. Now with the Buffalo, not seeing the shared files on the PC. Any Help/tips/suggestions?

Dlink DI-624
Buffalo Ethernet Converter
HR20
TVersity, latest release with using XBox 360 and transoding set to always

#83 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

I am using the Slingmedia Slinglink Turbo powerline adapter. It simply plugs into a wall outlet near the router (and connects to router via ethernet) and then has a four port switch that plus into any electric outlet. It currently is connected to my HR20, my SlingBox and a wired computer in my basement. Easy to set up and works perfectly.

Thanks, I'm considering ordering the Slinglink, but I came across some conflicting information. If you look at the specs from Sling Media, they indicate the maximum throughput is 14Mbps. But I found this link that indicates it is "rated at 85Mbps max".

http://www.make-this...com/blog/?p=163

Do you think 14Mbps is correct? That's about what you would get with a wireless connection. I've seen some other powerline adapters that have much higher throughput than that.

#84 OFFLINE   MnGuy

MnGuy

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:45 AM

Thanks, I'm considering ordering the Slinglink, but I came across some conflicting information. If you look at the specs from Sling Media, they indicate the maximum throughput is 14Mbps. But I found this link that indicates it is "rated at 85Mbps max".

http://www.make-this...com/blog/?p=163

Do you think 14Mbps is correct? That's about what you would get with a wireless connection. I've seen some other powerline adapters that have much higher throughput than that.

My connection shows 100Mbps. It's plenty fast.

#85 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

My connection shows 100Mbps. It's plenty fast.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I think I'll give it a try.

#86 OFFLINE   fl_dba

fl_dba

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:11 AM

What speed is recommended for VOD? The netgear HD powerline adapter claims to be rated at 200Mbps.

#87 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

What speed is recommended for VOD?

That sounds like a good "EARL" question. :)

(My Buffalo unit is speced at 100Mbps for wireless.)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#88 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

I have not seen a recommended speed. However, the faster the better would be my opinion. A slower connection will certainly slow things down.

The internal speed to your home network will most likely not be the bottleneck. Consider the fastest speed your ISP can provide, that is where you will see the biggest difference. Even the slowest connection using a wireless 802.11a connection will most likely out run the speed the ISP will be providing.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#89 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

Even the slowest connection using a wireless 802.11a connection will most likely out run the speed the ISP will be providing.

802.11b is actually the slowest. :)

#90 OFFLINE   JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:03 AM

I have not seen a recommended speed. However, the faster the better would be my opinion. A slower connection will certainly slow things down.

The internal speed to your home network will most likely not be the bottleneck. Consider the fastest speed your ISP can provide, that is where you will see the biggest difference. Even the slowest connection using a wireless 802.11a connection will most likely out run the speed the ISP will be providing.

True. Fast coble connections run around 5-6 Mbs on the download side. 802.11B is rated at 11 Mbs. The speed inside the house between machines will be faster than the speed of content coming into the house.

If you want to stream content from what you have stored in the house, go for the fastest gear you can afford. No gear will help download speed from the ISP. For that, inquire about buying faster download speed.
HD DVR HR20-700, connected via HDMI to:
Hitachi 65F59A. Optical audio for HT.
H20 connected via component to:
Hitachi 53UDX10B
Panasonic PVR DMR-ES10
Technics SA-DX950
5.1 surround. Front channel = Linaeum dipole ribbon tweeters
Powered Sub
Technics SL-MC3 60 disk CD
Harmony 880 Remote (2)

spam firewall