Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

To RMA or not to RMA, that is the question.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tadb77

tadb77

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

Good day all. I’ve been watching and soaking in all the information on these forums since I activated my Dish account. Thanks to all for a lot of good info and advice. Now, onto my question...

I woke up to my Vip622 being in a constant and quite vicious reboot loop on Thursday (12Apr) after receiving the 4.03 update. System would boot, operate for about five to ten seconds and then reboot. I did the standard soft-reset only to experience the same behavior. Next I unplugged the unit and let it sit for about 5 minutes. After returning power to the unit it operated for about thirty seconds and then rebooted. Now, finding myself at the end of a very limited troubleshooting list I contacted Tech-Support.

The very nice lady, Melissa I believe, worked me through the exact same process I described above. However, she also “reauthorized” my box. Another soft-reset later, I ended the call with instructions to call in for a replacement unit if it spontaneously rebooted its self again.

No more than five minutes later the unit rebooted. (Sigh)

I called in and requested the new unit be shipped ASAP. Now for the fun part... Since that final spontaneous reboot the unit has behaved perfectly. No reboots, no nothing. Only some HD-DVR 4.03 bliss.

Do I return my functioning original unit (with about forty timers I might add) and install the newly shipped unit sitting on my living room floor?

Your comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day.

tad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

This is a difficult question to answer. Others have asked it before. It's basically a gamble. How long has your original unit been working fine before the reboot problem? If you have not had it very long I think I would send it back since you don't have that much good history with it. If you have had no problems out of it for a year, I might consider keeping it instead of the new one. Naturally you know more about your original unit than the new one. The new one could present its own set of problems. It could be a referb or a new one.

Then, there are the timers and recordings you have on the old one to consider. You can always develop your set of timers again but if you have recordings you have not watched, those will be lost if you return the original unit.

Again, it's a gamble. No one can make the decision but you.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   ubankit

ubankit

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

[No more than five minutes later the unit rebooted. (Sigh)

I called in and requested the new unit be shipped ASAP. Now for the fun part... Since that final spontaneous reboot the unit has behaved perfectly. No reboots, no nothing. Only some HD-DVR 4.03 bliss.

Do I return my functioning original unit (with about forty timers I might add) and install the newly shipped unit sitting on my living room floor?

Your comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day.

tad[/QUOTE]

Our first 622 worked well for about 8 months, it started the constant rebooting (about 25 times in a three hour span did the trick for me), temp was o.k. (have it in a cabinet open at the front & back, and have a Targus notebook "chiller" pad), I'd almost swear it was possessed:D Got an RMA from tech support and a replacement ordered under warranty, unit worked o.k. from that point (around 3 days before the replacement arrived), even though I knew the timers and unviewed programs would be lost I wasn't going to take the chance the original unit was going to "behave" itself.....I wrote down all the programs that were set up in the timers so I could re-enter them. The replacement has worked well except for "error code 04" on scheduled recordings from one day. Had the replacement about 6 weeks now.

#4 OFFLINE   killzone

killzone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:56 AM

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have 2 622's and one of them did would not reboot properly after the 4.03 update. That same unit has had audio loss issues on a regular basis (the kind that pausing, rewinding and hitting play fixes). So obviously something is not quite right there. My other 622, which gets used about 70% of the time, never had any of these problems.

Sure enough, the day after they sent out a replacement unit, my originally bad one starts working again (still with the ocassional audio glitches). To make things a little more complicated, I own both my boxes, and the replacement they sent is clearly marked refurbished on the back. If at some point I decide to sell them, I'm thinking the fact that being marked as refurbished will reduce it's value.

Most likely I'm going to send the old one in and just reset all my recordings. Fortunately the majority of my recordings are also on my 2nd 622.

spam firewall