Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L 4.03 Appears to have fixed lack of OTA signal lock

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ClarkBar

ClarkBar

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

For months my 622 would not lock on an OTA signal of 91 from one distant Digital (HD) tower, while the other one of comparable signal strength was always a solid lock. I was always able to get a lock on the "622 problem tower" with my HDTV tuner card in my PC and my external Samsung Digital STB box for my DLP set. I am 62 miles + or - from the towers, with vy high-gain UHF antenna and preamp on 50 ft. tower.

The moment I got L4.03, the problem tower's signal strength went up to 100 percent (from 91) on the 622 and locks fine. So far, no dropouts. Although I am in the Dallas DMA for LIL, my OTA comes from S. Oklahoma.

Has anyone else seen a similar improvement since they received L4.03? My queries to Dish contacts have not provided a satisfactory answer as to whether my problem could have been cured by L4.03.

I have not had the "loss of OTA" that others report.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

this could be a similar problem to the KTBC problem in Austin, which is greatly improved with 4.03.
Sling-enabled Hopper, Joey, RokuXD, coupla HDTVs, a real old DD5.1 receiver and a 1963 Fisher tube hifi

#3 OFFLINE   JSIsabella

JSIsabella

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

It fixed the same problem we were having with WFMJ (NBC) in Youngstown, OH.

In reading the posts, 4.01 & 4.03 fixed the OTA of many users, and caused some new problems with some users that were working just fine before the update............

#4 OFFLINE   Grandpa Train

Grandpa Train

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:59 AM

It fixed the same problem we were having with WFMJ (NBC) in Youngstown, OH.

In reading the posts, 4.01 & 4.03 fixed the OTA of many users, and caused some new problems with some users that were working just fine before the update............

Here in Montgomery, no one with a 622 or 211 can get our FOX station HD over the air. However I can get it with another receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   JSIsabella

JSIsabella

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:52 AM

That was exactly the problem we had with the NBC station here with version 3.65/3.66. I am only 6 miles from the tower, and the signal was at 100, but could not get a lock with the 622. Directly into the TV, the picture was perfect.

4.01/4.03 fixed that problem.

#6 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:36 AM

If you read my past posts on version 3.65/3.66 you can understand my fustration. Version 4.03 corrected all OTA problems. As far as I'am concerned the 622 is rock solid with my components. Would like HD signal on local 17/62 FOX (Youngstown, OH ) local cable company supplies it.... Thank You E*

#7 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

Here in Montgomery, no one with a 622 or 211 can get our FOX station HD over the air. However I can get it with another receiver.

I also get all the Montgomery local HD's except Fox 20. I talked to the station engineer who explained they chose to stay in low-power mode (Just 1750 watts) until the FCC allowed them to return to their native frequency. So I don;t expect to see Fox 20 at full power anytime soon.

Early in the morning and weather propagation just right I can get Fox 20 for a short time....I'm almost 80 miles from the tower but have good antenna system on a tower with rotor....

#8 OFFLINE   JSIsabella

JSIsabella

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

fmcomputer:

Don't look for WYFX in HD either in OTA broadcast or from E* until Feb, 2009. According to their engineer, it just is not going to happen. They do not have a channel available to broadcast the signal in HD. I was hoping they would use a sub-channel to send out WYFX in HD, but I was told that there is not enough bandwidth to be able to do that.

They worked some special deal with the local cable companies to supply the HD signal directly. But I can not imagine E* going to all that effort for one station in the Youngstown, OH DMA. It will change over when they contract with all the stations, which again, will probably be in 2009.

Look at it this way: Only 671 days to go!

:)

#9 OFFLINE   whatchel1

whatchel1

Hall Of Fame

• No PM's
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

I also get all the Montgomery local HD's except Fox 20. I talked to the station engineer who explained they chose to stay in low-power mode (Just 1750 watts) until the FCC allowed them to return to their native frequency. So I don;t expect to see Fox 20 at full power anytime soon.

Early in the morning and weather propagation just right I can get Fox 20 for a short time....I'm almost 80 miles from the tower but have good antenna system on a tower with rotor....

That will be at the drop dead date for analog 2-17-09.

spam firewall