Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is MLB Superfan showing up to 10 HD games a week?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Italfra1

Italfra1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

How many HD games has Superfan been showing a week. I'm not talking about games broadcast on ESPN HD 72 & 73. I'm talking about MLB CH 730 and 731. I go to the D* website schedule and it doesn't look like 10 to me. I've seen other posts that say the schedule is not accurate and HD games show up on the guide only a day before the game. Is the website schedule accurate info accurate? Or is that not updated with current HD info either?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stunnerkline

Stunnerkline

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

How many HD games has Superfan been showing a week. I'm not talking about games broadcast on ESPN HD 72 & 73. I'm talking about MLB CH 730 and 731. I go to the D* website schedule and it doesn't look like 10 to me. I've seen other posts that say the schedule is not accurate and HD games show up on the guide only a day before the game. Is the website schedule accurate info accurate? Or is that not updated with current HD info either?

That's a good question. I have SF but to be honest I haven't counted how many games have been on 730/731 since the start of the season.

I would say that there is at least 1 game on every night. It might be a late game (10:05 start EST) but it's been my impression that there's been at least one on every night.

The one thing that really does irk me about it though is that if a game that was supposed to be on 730 or 731 is cancelled (like a rained out game), they just leave it black. Why not put a different game on then? I can't see how this would be so difficult.

#3 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

The MLB EI HD sked is a freakin' joke.

Not showing close to 10 HD games a week, waiting until a few hours prior to game time to put games in the guide, etc.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#4 OFFLINE   vansmack

vansmack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

I'll grant you that the lack of advance notice is a major downside, but they had 14 games in HD in week 1 and 11 games on the schedule for HD in week 2, but the weather restricted the number of games they actually showed (unless, of course, your blaming D*TV for the weather).

#5 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:29 PM

Not showing close to 10 HD games a week, waiting until a few hours prior to game time to put games in the guide, etc.

Actually the first 6 days (mon 4/2- sat 4/7) they had 11 in 6 days.

The first full week (sun 4/8 - sat 4/14) they had 13.

talking about channels 730 and 731 ONLY.

Since it's so easy to get the factual info, why post without checking first?
http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P1700157

and the listings are put in at least a few days in advance.

#6 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:28 PM

As I mentioned previously, this will ebb and flow. Some weeks there will be 6 to 8 games. Some weeks you will see 14 games. It all averages out to slightly more than 10 games per week. DIRECTV obviously can't say 10 games per week guaranteed because that's not the case as bandwidth availability is at issue at times and sometimes there just aren't that many games broadcast in a given week to distribute.

But yes, up to 10 is an accurate statement with some weeks having many more than 10 and some weeks less than 10.

#7 OFFLINE   capecodsooner

capecodsooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

One game a week is "up to 10" isn't it?? :)

Seriously, the weather did put a damper on the schedule so far this season but D* has been doing pretty well on the numbers per week in my opinion.

But on the other hand lots of folks will probably be steamed when all the NFL games, NBA, NHL, ect, count towards the "100s of HD channels" pomised for the future.

#8 OFFLINE   Italfra1

Italfra1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:04 PM

Actually the first 6 days (mon 4/2- sat 4/7) they had 11 in 6 days.

The first full week (sun 4/8 - sat 4/14) they had 13.

talking about channels 730 and 731 ONLY.

Since it's so easy to get the factual info, why post without checking first?
http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P1700157

and the listings are put in at least a few days in advance.

Nice work. Way to break it down. I'm happy with the amount HD games right now. Plus you get a few here and there on 95 & 96 and a few games on ESPN HD 72 or 73. That's not bad. It's getting better and better. I think next season we will really see an increase of HD games, with of course an increase in price.

#9 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

Can D* please start making the guide correct regarding HD games (94 & 95/730 & 731)?
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#10 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

Can D* please start making the guide correct regarding HD games (94 & 95/730 & 731)?

probably not - BTW without reading the terms of the contract, they may have the right to select the games at the last moment, and might be trying to provide the best matchups. If so, I think that's a great idea.

#11 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

probably not - BTW without reading the terms of the contract, they may have the right to select the games at the last moment, and might be trying to provide the best matchups. If so, I think that's a great idea.

I honestly don't think that is what they are doing. Guide data for HD sports on 95 has always been a mess, with games disappearing, reappearing, or even popping up without any matching guide/info data.

To give D* their due, it's especially tough for them right now with the various sports they are juggling and trying to squeeze in.

But once the NHL playoffs are over, there is really no excuse for not having a two-week schedule of HD baseball that can be arranged in advance and held to (w/ the exception of rainouts). It's especially important for those folks who want to be able to record games of interest w/ the HR20. Once we get down to the end of the season, scheduling based upon pennant and wild-card races would be a good thing.

But I'm not losing any sleep over it, since this should be a thing of the past with the new birds going up.

#12 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

Hmm anybody know why I can't get channel95 which earlier today was suppose to have the Mets game and tonight have the Anaheim hockey game? I get a message telling me "channel not purchased"??

I tried rebooting the receiver but nothing changed.

Thanks

#13 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:12 AM

Maleman.. have you been getting the other HD MLB games this week?

#14 OFFLINE   Kenwood

Kenwood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

For April....14 times the Yankees have been the HD game (plus 7 times for the Mets)

Twice this month the Yanks have broadcast in HD 3 days in a row

#15 OFFLINE   vollmey

vollmey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

For April....14 times the Yankees have been the HD game (plus 7 times for the Mets)

Twice this month the Yanks have broadcast in HD 3 days in a row

Yep, Yankee's in HD is well worth $40 for the year. If there pitching staff would get on track it would be much more enjoyable.
Dave

#16 OFFLINE   Dan Serafini

Dan Serafini

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

Seems to me the reason the Yankees are on 730/731 is that YES broadcasts both home and road games in HD.

My hope is that EI will have mroe HD games once they are not fighting with the NHL and NBA for space on the HD channels.

#17 OFFLINE   drinkjack

drinkjack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:46 PM

Tonights at least the 4th or 5th time a HD game has been rained out. Maybe I'm naive, but it is that hard to have a contingency plan? The Sox game is a HD feed, put it on. :)

Also, I'm really digging the Strike Zone Channel. Didn't think I'd care for it, but it's pretty cool when there's not really a specific game I want to watch. Or in todays case when the HD game is rained out.

#18 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

Yep, Yankee's in HD is well worth $40 for the year. If there pitching staff would get on track it would be much more enjoyable.

Totally disagree. It's just awesome watching George flush billions down the toilet year after year on his overpriced garbage teams. I love watching the Yanks getting it handed to them night after night in HD.

#19 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

Totally disagree. It's just awesome watching George flush billions down the toilet year after year on his overpriced garbage teams. I love watching the Yanks getting it handed to them night after night in HD.

ditto. :)

#20 OFFLINE   cb7214

cb7214

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

yes it is bitter sweet
Directv Subscriber since 1999

XM Subscriber since June 2005

Protected By... spam firewall...And...