Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

installation questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   some dude

some dude

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

I'm going to sign up for dish network in the near future, but before the installer comes I would like to have a pipe cemented in the ground for mounting the dish, and I would also like to have one rg6 cable run to that pipe. My questions are as follows:

If I order the hd package and america's top 250 which satellite dish (500, 1000, superdish etc) am I likely to get, and can it be mounted to my 2 3/8 OD galvanized steel pipe?

How many rg6 cables will be coming from the dish, and will these go into some type of switch with only one cable going to the receiver?

Which receiver will I likely get (I'd prefer the vip622) and can it receive normal and hd programming with only one rg6 cable run to it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

How many TVs will be connected? What receiver are you ordering, that is the one you will get. Standard pipe size for 500 & 1000 is 1.625". Superdish which is doubtful is 2" or 2 3/8" suggest 4 RG-6 cables from the dish to the house just to be safe.

#3 OFFLINE   some dude

some dude

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for replying. I'm only going to have one tv connected. So if I run one cable from my tv location to the general area where the installer will put the switch, then he can run however many cables he needs to that switch and hook up the one cable I ran to the tv? The switch will convert however many cables are coming from the lnbs to just one, right?

#4 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for replying. I'm only going to have one tv connected. So if I run one cable from my tv location to the general area where the installer will put the switch, then he can run however many cables he needs to that switch and hook up the one cable I ran to the tv? The switch will convert however many cables are coming from the lnbs to just one, right?

1 5/8" diameter on the pole. You are right in that the switch will combine the sat signals from the LNBs for transmission through one RG-6 cable. Most in this forum will advise you to place a minimum of 4 RG6 cables from the post to your house or cable junction in the house. The differences in equipment/connectivity or future DirecTV use, if you change providers, will necessitate the extra wiring. Do it now while the trench is dug and area around the post is open.

#5 OFFLINE   some dude

some dude

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:39 AM

Thanks. You've both been very helpful. :)

#6 OFFLINE   585960

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

Awesome that a customer has the foresight to do this. :biggthump And definately run 2 sets of dual w/ground line to your house. Leave 10 feet at the dish and 10 feet at the house so theres enough line to install dish, and service loops at the house where grounding should be.

#7 OFFLINE   dartonviper

dartonviper

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

I'm going to sign up for dish network in the near future, but before the installer comes I would like to have a pipe cemented in the ground for mounting the dish, and I would also like to have one rg6 cable run to that pipe. My questions are as follows:

If I order the hd package and america's top 250 which satellite dish (500, 1000, superdish etc) am I likely to get, and can it be mounted to my 2 3/8 OD galvanized steel pipe?

How many rg6 cables will be coming from the dish, and will these go into some type of switch with only one cable going to the receiver?

Which receiver will I likely get (I'd prefer the vip622) and can it receive normal and hd programming with only one rg6 cable run to it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If you already have that pipe in the ground they do make a pipe adapter that sllides over the top of a larger diameter pipe. It works really slick.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...