Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Disk full and auto delete situation question.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:00 PM

Last night I had 2:15 min of High Def recording space left.

I had 2 one hour HD programs scheduled to record...24 (sat) and CSI Miami (ota)

Both shows recorded just fine with the last show CSI Miami finishing recording at 11:00 PM

In my events I noticed that the seaons finale of Rome which was the oldest event (which I had not watched yet) was deleted at 11:00 PM. (after the other two shows had finished recording)

If this is the case then there really wasnt 2:15 min of free space and or the full disk/delete algorithm is flawed/bug as I should have had 13 min remaining.

Can anyone explain this? Have you ever seen less than one hour of High Def recording time displayed?

An before anyone gets smart and tells me to keep up on my programing watching I was out of the country for 3 weeks...

I dont know if this would have happend under 3.66 or is 4.03 related as I have never let the disk get full before.

Thanks in adv...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:09 PM

The amount of time remaining is just an estimate not a hard fact. It depends on the program content how much compression occurs so it is never known down to the byte how much space will be needed. Estimates only.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:11 PM

Sure... I can take this one. The 2:15 min is a approx time. Since MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 and OTA MPEG-2 all have different MB/sec of content (it is not constant) there is no way to know exactly how much disk space you have. In otherwords the 622 does not know until it gets down to the point where it says... ooops.. No disk space and deletes the oldest show first as you indicated.

The only way to prevent shows you don't want to get deleted is to set your timer to protect the show when it is recorded.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   HomebrewerDan

HomebrewerDan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:34 AM

Just to confirm something -- does it always delete oldest shows first, or does it delete based on your timer priorities. I'm a former TiVo person, and I thought that TiVo used to use season pass priority as well, so just trying to get my bearings on the ViP622's algorithm. Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

Unless it has changed.. From my understanding it goes from older to newer and of course protected shows don't get deleted. Hmm not sure how they would handle the use case were someone protects all shows or there is not enough space for unprotected shows, but if I was to guess they would either fail the recording or deleted the oldest protected show. Priority I don't think plays into the equation, but I have not done enough playing around with this situation to know 100% this is the case.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...