Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why is the Red Wings game not in HD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jjsanders281

jjsanders281

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:55 PM

The game is on VS being shown on channel 95 but it isn't in HD. I know the game is being broadcast in HD cause the announcers keep saying it.

I'm getting a little tired of putting up with this crap from DirecTV. Half the games listed on channel 95 I can't even get (like the Red Sox game earlier)

Hey DirecTV! If its not available to me or its not in HD Don't put it on 95!!

Just Venting...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:17 PM

I actually called them on and was on the phone for 20 minutes for this issue. He even went and got his supervisor and they both claimed that I was supposed to get the game in HD. (game in my DMA, I subscribe to a package with FSN, and have the HD package). They tried resetting my card and receiver and both did nothing.

I assume that the error wasn't that I was not receiving that programming I subscribe to, that they are not correctly doing the blackouts for the right DMA's. This board is littered with sports DMA errors so all I can think to do is to call and complain and if enough people do maybe they'll get their act together.

What I don't get though is if someone at a supervisor level claims you are sUPPOSED to get a program, why can't they manually override it and have it magically work?

#3 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

Versus wasnt televising the game in HD tonight. They are getting the CBC feed thats why your not seeing it in HD. And yes it states on the Versus website no HD.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#4 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:31 PM

The game is on VS being shown on channel 95 but it isn't in HD. I know the game is being broadcast in HD cause the announcers keep saying it.

I'm getting a little tired of putting up with this crap from DirecTV. Half the games listed on channel 95 I can't even get (like the Red Sox game earlier)

Hey DirecTV! If its not available to me or its not in HD Don't put it on 95!!

Just Venting...

As far as you not getting the Sox game earlier in HD. Unless you purchased the Superfan package for MLB EI. No more HD freebies for you. The Superfan free preview expired after Sunday's games.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#5 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:38 PM

Versus wasnt televising the game in HD tonight. They are getting the CBC feed thats why your not seeing it in HD. And yes it states on the Versus website no HD.

However, the game is being broadcast in HD by CBC (I am watching it on my Star Choice system). I guess VS only has rights to simulcast the SD version, and DirecTV doesn't have the rights to directly show the CBC-HD feed.

#6 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:46 PM

In Detroit, it's on FSN-Detroit (channel 636) with their station logos and local announcers. So does that mean Fox is taping it too? So does that mean the DTV channel was trying to show FSN-HD or VS VIA CBC? What doesn't make sense is that if they were playing Dallas, I'd say it's FSN-Dallas showing up if you live in the Dallas DMA but what's screwed up is that it's in Calgary! No FSN-regional and Directv doesn't even offer service there!

#7 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:47 PM

DirecTV doesn't have the rights to directly show the CBC-HD feed.

BLAME CANADA

#8 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:50 PM

BLAME CANADA

Like I said, just a guess on the rights issue. I just wanted to point out that the CBC is broadcasting the game in HD, even though D* (via VS.) is only showing an SD upconvert.

#9 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:58 PM

However, the game is being broadcast in HD by CBC (I am watching it on my Star Choice system). I guess VS only has rights to simulcast the SD version, and DirecTV doesn't have the rights to directly show the CBC-HD feed.

Thats correct Versus says on their site that games shown in progress OR bonus coverage games will not be in HD. Only games presented by Versus would be HD.
Dan Sholtis

#10 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

In Detroit, it's on FSN-Detroit (channel 636) with their station logos and local announcers. So does that mean Fox is taping it too? So does that mean the DTV channel was trying to show FSN-HD or VS VIA CBC? What doesn't make sense is that if they were playing Dallas, I'd say it's FSN-Dallas showing up if you live in the Dallas DMA but what's screwed up is that it's in Calgary! No FSN-regional and Directv doesn't even offer service there!

Tonight for the Wings game Versus used the CBC feed.
Dan Sholtis

#11 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

Three words...........Bettman....ESPN....DOH!

#12 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:30 AM

If it is any consellation, FSN Detroit was SD only as well. So no HD for the local fans either.

#13 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

So why does Directv waste the channel and bandwidth by putting it on channel 95? Why don't they just leave it on channel 608 only?

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:47 AM

This keeps coming up in these discussions when the same event is on multiple channels. It is not a waste of bandwidth, as it is a single feed mapped to multiple channels. They could map one event to every channel they have and it would still only be one feed.

#15 OFFLINE   jfm

jfm

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:57 AM

Three words...........Bettman....ESPN....DOH!

Agreed. When NHL went with amateur network, we get amateur broadcasts. When they changed their name and the best they could come up with was Versus...that's was a hint.
John
FR: HR20-700, Sony KDS-60A2000
LR: R10; Toshiba 27A51
Dish: Slimline AU9 5-LNB

#16 OFFLINE   shmengie

shmengie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:01 AM

i think someone else here posted this sentiment, and i agree: if bettman wants to help bolster nhl viewing, he needs to make better deals with content providers so that anyone who has hd, can get all hd broadcast games, regardless of market, bullsh*t blackout rules, etc.

[sarcasm]at least the world series of poker is in hd...[/sarcasm]

#17 OFFLINE   pedro4868

pedro4868

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

This keeps coming up in these discussions when the same event is on multiple channels. It is not a waste of bandwidth, as it is a single feed mapped to multiple channels. They could map one event to every channel they have and it would still only be one feed.

thats the thing though, they didn't have to map out the game to another channel. Its standard definition on 608 and standard definition on 95! I think its a big waste of space.
Go Blues.....

Westinghouse 37" LTV-37w2
Olevia 27'' hdtv
5 LNB Sat.
HR-20 700 (1)
H20 Receiver (1)

#18 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

thats the thing though, they didn't have to map out the game to another channel. Its standard definition on 608 and standard definition on 95! I think its a big waste of space.

There is no waste of space. It's the exact same feed, just different channel numbers.

#19 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

So why does Directv waste the channel and bandwidth by putting it on channel 95? Why don't they just leave it on channel 608 only?

I think it's a good sign. DirecTV thought it was in HD so they planned to offer it to us after we bombed them with emails last week about not showing the HD feeds.

By the way, same thing happened on Dish Network. They also though the game would be in HD and had a dedicated HD channel for the game.

Once again Versus screwed up and didn't inform the satellite partners what was going on. Gee...who owns Versus...oh right, Comcast. Imagine that.

#20 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

No, I don't think it is the same thing. If they were mapping 608 to 95 the the picture would look the same on both channels. But, they don't. Channel 608 is in SD and fills the whole screen like all other SD channels. Channel 95 had the pillar boxes on the sides. For example, when I am watching a SD show on a MPEG4 local HD channel. It still used the higher bandwith on the MPEG4 HD channel than it does on the SD MPEG2 channel.

I could be wrong but that is my understanding. I know the people with more knowledge on this will correct me if I am wrong.

spam firewall