Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is "trick play"?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrdnyquist

jrdnyquist

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:07 AM

I've seen the term "trick play" thrown around but I'm not sure what it means. What is trick play and how do I use it?

Side Note: HD locals recently became available in the Charlotte NC area. I have my Sat guy here today tearing out my 1000 and 500 dishes and he's replacing them with a 1000+. I do use OTA but It will be nice to have sat locals as well since I pay for locals anyways.

Thanks,
-jrdnyquist

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

Trick Play is the term used to describe the abilities provided by the FF/REW/Pause/Skip keys.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:19 AM

Trick Play is the term used to describe the abilities provided by the FF/REW/Pause/Skip keys.

That doesn't work very well anymore.. :(
Mark

Local Dealers always make good friends

2 Hopper 2000's - 2 Joey 1.0's - Dish 1000.4 WA
-------------------------------------
DirecTV HR20-700 - HR24-200 - DTV SWMLine LNB
Wildblue SM2000 and dish

#4 OFFLINE   jrdnyquist

jrdnyquist

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

Odd I've never had problems problems with FF/RW/Skip/Pause that I've noticed. How do you reproduce a problem with those functions?

#5 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

I agree with skyviewmark1, to a certain extent. I've noticed that FF and REW is not as fluid now as it used to be and even at full speed it doesn't seem nearly as fast as it used to be. However, I am not having problems with skip.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#6 OFFLINE   jrdnyquist

jrdnyquist

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:38 AM

That makes sense. I use skip forward/back 95% of the time. FF/RW seems ok but I guess it could be smoother and/or faster. I never critically looked at in L3.66 and older though. Skip has always been rock solid I use it constantly before and after L4.03 (I never noticed getting L4.01). I absolutely LOVE the skip function.

#7 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

That makes sense. I use skip forward/back 95% of the time. FF/RW seems ok but I guess it could be smoother and/or faster. I never critically looked at in L3.66 and older though. Skip has always been rock solid I use it constantly before and after L4.03 (I never noticed getting L4.01). I absolutely LOVE the skip function.

Try it on slow mode (pause, skip forward back,etc). It is definitely a little more eratic then it was but I think this may predate l366. I've been wondering if they made changes to try and bypass the Tivo patents.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#8 OFFLINE   skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

Try it on slow mode (pause, skip forward back,etc). It is definitely a little more eratic then it was but I think this may predate l366. I've been wondering if they made changes to try and bypass the Tivo patents.

That was my thought too.. That it had something to do with patent issues.. All I know is that the slow motion is now horrible on some. Seems to be worse on the 129 or maybe it is the mpeg4 stuff.. Not really sure. Skip forward and back are fine as long as you don't do it to many times in sucession. Mostly just the slo-mo features and the top speed fast forward.
Mark

Local Dealers always make good friends

2 Hopper 2000's - 2 Joey 1.0's - Dish 1000.4 WA
DirecTV HR20-700 - HR24-200 - DTV SWMLine LNB
Wildblue SM2000 and dish

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

I think we've been tricked, huh.

#10 OFFLINE   joebird

joebird

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

I was just about to start a thread on this very topic. The trick play (and here I'm talking about pausing, frame advance/backup, slow-mo -- not the two skip ahead or backup buttons) have really deteriorated over the last couple of releases.

I don't remember the release versions, but it got screwed up a few releases ago, and those same problems are still here, and now more.

I agree with Rob that simple fast forward (at any speed) is not 'fluid' -- it's very herky-jerky. And just try and pause a sports event, then hit the frame advance -- more like a 4 second advance for the next frame, and this 'jump' is very unpredictable. Obviously with MPEG encoding and GOP sequences, it may never be a true 'single frame' advance, but the performance of this feature now is just about unusable.
Vip622 x 2, 510, 110/119/129, DP44

#11 OFFLINE   DanoP

DanoP

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

I was just about to start a thread on this very topic. The trick play (and here I'm talking about pausing, frame advance/backup, slow-mo -- not the two skip ahead or backup buttons) have really deteriorated over the last couple of releases.

I don't remember the release versions, but it got screwed up a few releases ago, and those same problems are still here, and now more.

I agree with Rob that simple fast forward (at any speed) is not 'fluid' -- it's very herky-jerky. And just try and pause a sports event, then hit the frame advance -- more like a 4 second advance for the next frame, and this 'jump' is very unpredictable. Obviously with MPEG encoding and GOP sequences, it may never be a true 'single frame' advance, but the performance of this feature now is just about unusable.

I'm glad it is just not me. 3.66 worked fine for me but this latest update makes the DVR playback herky jerky and imprecise. Don't fix what's not broke!

#12 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:41 AM

Could we get a list of the tricks, maybe post them in one of the sticky thread topics kind of as a reference? I'm assuming that it's stuff that you can do that is NOT listed in the owner's manual? Something like... the yellow skip button advances the program guide 24 hours?

#13 OFFLINE   Hunter Green

Hunter Green

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:27 AM

Inexplicably, our fast-forward jitters are gone, even though we're still on 4.03.

#14 OFFLINE   rictorg

rictorg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:22 PM

I tell you, back in my TiVo days, I loved the fast forward and rewind buttons. I never even bothered with the thirty second skip. However, with the 622, I can't stand the fast forward and rewind buttons, and am now skipping around.

Thing is, I hate skipping on Network TV programs; I always jump too far, and then have to rewind... I'd rather fast forward through, perhaps see a new commercial fly past me, and on to my program. Oh well, this has to be the most minor complaint of my life. =)

#15 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

Could we get a list of the tricks, maybe post them in one of the sticky thread topics kind of as a reference? I'm assuming that it's stuff that you can do that is NOT listed in the owner's manual? Something like... the yellow skip button advances the program guide 24 hours?

Actually they are all documented in the manual. Now if they only worked perfectly as described.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#16 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

Example - to swap between the last two sorting methods in the recordings list, use the pip swap button.

I don't believe that is in the manual.

spam firewall