Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stated Recording Time Available Vs. Actual

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:42 AM

Why does the actual recording time available not match what the 622 displays? For instance I currently have about 16 hours of recorded HD programming and the "DVR Events" screen shows a little over 10 hours of HD recording time remaining. What happened to the 3+ hours? This also seems to work in reverse when I delete some programming. If I delete 3 hours worth of HD recording, the available HD recording time will only increase by maybe 2 hours and 15 minutes. I've had this 622 since June 2006. It started out with 30 hours available, but after using a substantial portion of the hard drive, which was within a couple of weeks, it has always been like this through all of the SW updates. Is this a SW related bug?
There have been numerous occasions when I have been at the edge with remaining record time showing and have wondered if the missing hours would be used or some older recording would be wiped.
Anybody else see this or have any explanations?
EAGLES

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:53 AM

Did you read this current thread?

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=85602
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:53 AM

The 622 displays an approximate time available.. Never exact.. Different types of compression use different amounts of time.
Mark

Local Dealers always make good friends

2 Hopper 2000's - 2 Joey 1.0's - Dish 1000.4 WA
-------------------------------------
DirecTV HR20-700 - HR24-200 - DTV SWMLine LNB
-------------------------------------
Wildblue SM2000 and dish

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

1 hour of HD recording can fall anywhere between 3900MB and 8200MB (I've seen the entire range) depending on the channel recorded from. That much variation makes it really difficult to provide a very accurate "recording time left" value.

It was much easier with SD content, because the variation wasn't nearly so pronounced.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

As others have said... Two things going on here... Different shows take up different amounts of space, and the "space left" indicator is an estimate based on a "most-likely" or average amount of space. Also, I believe the official word is "up to" 30 hours of HD and "up to" 200 hours of SD... this statement is intentionally vague to allow for the difference in space.

I have recorded a show from one channel (MPEG4 compression HD) that was an hour program but only lost 30 minutes from the space... I have recorded another show (MPEG2 HD from OTA) that was an hour but it took slightly more than an hour of space away.

Depending on what kinds of programs you record and the channels involved, you could see substantially more or less than the 30 estimated HD hours.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

Dish needs to add the word "Estimated" or "Approx" to the hours/min listing.

Mark: Since you know the range, what's it based on for HD ?? MPEG2, safe to say, but at what bitrate ?? If they use the 19.2Mb/s number, that means it will report less. If they use a low number, it will say you have more than you really do oftentimes. Then throw MPEG4 encoding into the mix....

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

The estimate seems to be on the high end of the scale. So far I've not recorded HD that took up more than an hour of estimate per hour of programming. In my tests local OTA HD takes up the most space ... MPEG4s take up half that.

As long as the estimate isn't wrong by underestimating it I'm happy.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

Hall, I don't have any idea what their algorithm is to determine recording time remaining based on available disk space. But like James said, I would guess that it's towards the upper end of the scale, most likely based somewhere around 7 GB/hr or so.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#9 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

But like James said, I would guess that it's towards the upper end of the scale, most likely based somewhere around 7 GB/hr or so.

Heh, that is the safe number to use. They cheat themselves in the process though.... They could probably claim "up to 40 hours of HD recordings *" with the asterisk meaning MPEG4 programming. Of course, no one reads that part and gets pissed when they max out at 32 hours. Dish "loses" when they do that.

It would be interesting, and I've never read about anyone doing it, is to wipe the recordings clean and then record as much MPEG4 programming as it will allow and see what it reads. I'll bet it would go negative, though they may not allow negative numbers to appear.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:30 PM

The number is based on the GB remaining so there will be no negatives.

It has been a while since I tested by recording an hour of each type of source then deleting each, exiting the DVR list and returning to see how many hours and minutes deleting an hour freed up.

99% sure that 30hrs of 1080i OTA would fill the drive ... but then even that bandwidth varies based on source.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

spam firewall