Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

bad weather meltdown!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Islandkiwi

Islandkiwi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

So we've had a few storms pass through, and my dish cut out. I have an ota antenna connected to the receiver, so I thought I would be okay to watch local broadcasts.

Well, no. I was on Comedy Central when it went out, and the receiver kept searching for the signal. I had to wait for it to complete the search, and finally hit the channel down button rapidly to get to local channels and watch local tv.

That worked for about five minutes...but then the receiver started searching for a connection again, even though I was watching local channels.

Does anyone have a workaround for this, or a way to disable this constant searching? I realize I could put a splitter on the antenna and connect directly to my tv, but if I did that I wouldn't be able to record the show, and I need the receiver to convert to hdtv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishbacker

dishbacker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

I have the same issues / concerns. The 942 will let you tune OTA when the SAT signal is lost, but the 622 doesn't. I understand that Dish wants to 'protect its investment', so how about a grace period:

Let OTA channels work on the 622 for some period of time without a SAT signal before it will disconnect it. Say 24 hours? Heck, I'd even go for 1 hour.

I view this a huge concern when trying to track severe weather here in the DFW metroplex, needing to know when the really bad stuff is going to hit / pass through / etc. Please dish, let the OTA work for a little bit so we can be safe!
942 user 1/22/06 L288
622 user 9/30/2006 L365
DPP Twin LNB for 110/119 / DP Dual for 129
Sony 42in LCD RPTV
Pioneer VSX-D810S Receiver

#3 OFFLINE   R_Childress

R_Childress

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

You can trick the receiver by going into the Main menu and select program guide. It will bring up the guide and you can change channels that way.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,670 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:52 PM

I'm going to have to check that when I get home in a few minutes.

I know that if one powers down the receiver and removes the dish there is no guide and no OTA. But if the power remains on the guide should remain and OTA should be tunable. The "can't find satellite" popup is still possible, but why would TV1 be looking if it is tuned OTA (unless it is looking for guide updates)?

My wife mentioned seeing a "can't find satellite" type error on TV2 when I lost TV1 OTA last week. Never did follow that up to prove it to myself. Looks like some checking is needed this evening. :)

I did some checking the other night for a D* user that was complaining about the same problem on their HR20 ... except they also could not use the DVR functions of their receiver and watch previously recorded programs. On the 622 previously recorded programs remained fully available (except recordings from sat locals, which required a password).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

IT works if you go to the ota channels before to long ,when the sat loses signal. I would say within the first minute of two of losing sat signal. You can go into the menu guide and then program guide and hit the ota channel. Once there you can change back and forth from any ota channel and it will work.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,670 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

Test Complete ...

I went outside and covered the LNBs on both of my dishes to simulate losing the dishes to weather. Upon return (sorry, didn't time my walking) the Signal Loss popup was on the screen. I could not get in to the guide using the Guide button. I was able to get there by pressing MENU and then the Guide button.

I was able to tune my OTAs easily. I could change channels between OTAs without issue. I watched for a few minutes with no popups interrupting my OTA viewing.
I was able to watch DVR events regardless of source.

Since I covered the satellite dish I also checked my 211 ... it also could tune OTAs.

Then I killed power to the 622 and waited a few minutes. When power was restored the EPG was gone and so were the locals. DVR events were still available ... events recorded from via satellite locals listed as "Locked Event" ... playback was possible but entering my lock code was needed. (This is the same behavior that I saw when disconnecting the sat cable and cycling power earlier this week.)

After restoring the satellite signal no reboot was needed. The 622 downloaded it's guide then displayed programming. The 211 required me to LOOK at the 6-1-1 Point Dish Screen long enough to get a lock.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

Test Complete ...

I went outside and covered the LNBs on both of my dishes to simulate losing the dishes to weather. Upon return (sorry, didn't time my walking) the Signal Loss popup was on the screen. I could not get in to the guide using the Guide button. I was able to get there by pressing MENU and then the Guide button.

I was able to tune my OTAs easily. I could change channels between OTAs without issue. I watched for a few minutes with no popups interrupting my OTA viewing.
I was able to watch DVR events regardless of source.

Since I covered the satellite dish I also checked my 211 ... it also could tune OTAs.

Then I killed power to the 622 and waited a few minutes. When power was restored the EPG was gone and so were the locals. DVR events were still available ... events recorded from via satellite locals listed as "Locked Event" ... playback was possible but entering my lock code was needed. (This is the same behavior that I saw when disconnecting the sat cable and cycling power earlier this week.)

After restoring the satellite signal no reboot was needed. The 622 downloaded it's guide then displayed programming. The 211 required me to LOOK at the 6-1-1 Point Dish Screen long enough to get a lock.

I know the OP said "searching" after a while when he switched to OTA, but, maybe the storm got between him and the OTAs. That happens here, lose sat go to ota, then lose ota and can get back to sat as storm has moved from SW to NE here in the Fort Wayne DMA.

#8 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE: I know the OP said "searching" after a while when he switched to OTA, but, maybe the storm got between him and the OTAs. That happens here, lose sat go to ota, then lose ota and can get back to sat as storm has moved from SW to NE here in the Fort Wayne DMA.
This scenario actually happened to me the other night. I lost sat so I hit menu button and went to OTA. 2 minutes later I also lost OTA due to storm in southern part of sky.
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

spam firewall