Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Technical Install? For 3rd Orbital Location Needed For Two Legacy (7200) Receivers!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MURF

MURF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

I CURRENTLY HAVE ONE DISH 500 POINTING TO 110 & 119 OF COURSE, AND WOULD LIKE TO GET 61.5 ON A SECOND DISH AND I HAVE SEVERAL ?'S. I LIVE IN THE PORTLAND OREGON AREA AND THE FIRST INSTALLER SAID 61.5 IS PRETTY MUCH IMPOSSIBLE, BUT THE SECOND SAID IT MAY BE POSSIBLE BUT IT WOULD BE A VERY DIFFICULT INSTALL AND THE CABLING LENGTH WOULD BE TOO LONG FOR MY LEGACY RECEIVERS.

1) ANY ADVICE FOR 61.5 HERE IN OREGON?

AS A BACK UP I KNOW I CAN GET 148, WHICH WOULD NOT BE OPTIMAL BY ANY MEANS, BUT MAY SUFFICE FOR NOW? SO ONE WAY OR ANOTHER I'LL GET MOST OF THE PUBLIC INTEREST CHANNELS I NEED, BUT NOT ALL OF THEM IF I HAVE TO GO WITH 148, WHICH PISSES ME OFF AS THEY ARE FCC MANDATED MUST CARRY CHANNELS THAT DISH PUTS ON OBSCURE ORBITAL SLOTS. I ASSUME IT'S LEGAL TO DO SO, CHECK OUT THIS LINK?

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pi.htm

SO, HOW DO I SET THIS UP? ONE FAIRLY KNOWLEDGEABLE INSTALLER SUGGESTED THE FOLLOWING...

-DP QUAD FOR 110/119 ON DISH 500 WITH 2 LINES TO A 34 SWITCH
-DP DUAL FOR SECOND DISH FOR 148 ON ANOTHER DISH 500 (THEY DON'T CARRY 300'S???) WITH 1 LINE TO THE 34 SWITCH
-3 LINES FROM THE 34 SWITCH INTO THE GARAGE CONNECTOR PANEL BOX WHERE THEY ARE CONNECTED INTO THE HOUSE PREWIRING FOR THE TWO ROOMS
-DP ADAPTER BEHIND EACH LEGACY DISHPLAYER RECEIVER (IS THIS DP ADAPTER SAFE FOR MY EQUIPMENT???)

SO ANY SUGGESTIONS AS THE INSTALLER IS COMING THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   alebowgm

alebowgm

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

The cabling issue is simply with legacy recievers, they have a max of 50 feet (even though I have seen up to 100 feet without issue), so I guess it depends on your house. 61.5 would be tough in Oregon, because of the low angle, but it is defenitly do-able. But what are the reasons for wanting to hit 61.5? You are much better off either @129 or @148, as all the content that is on 61.5 is mirrored between those two orbital locations, and you will get much better strength.

#3 OFFLINE   MURF

MURF

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:49 PM

You are much better off either @129 or @148, as all the content that is on 61.5 is mirrored between those two orbital locations, and you will get much better strength.

PLEASE CLARIFY THIS STATEMENT.

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

129° has very few SD channels.

I would stick with legacy LNBs and switches for your 7200s. You don't say what you have now, but the simplest way is a Twin for 119/110, a Dual for whichever slot you end up choosing, and a pair of SW21s to connect an output from each dish to the 7200s.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:48 PM

You are much better off either @129 or @148, as all the content that is on 61.5 is mirrored between those two orbital locations, and you will get much better strength.

PLEASE CLARIFY THIS STATEMENT.

What programming are you trying to receive from 61.5?

#6 OFFLINE   MURF

MURF

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:34 PM

[(AS A BACK UP I KNOW I CAN GET 148, WHICH WOULD NOT BE OPTIMAL BY ANY MEANS, BUT MAY SUFFICE FOR NOW? SO ONE WAY OR ANOTHER I'LL GET MOST OF THE PUBLIC INTEREST CHANNELS I NEED, BUT NOT ALL OF THEM IF I HAVE TO GO WITH 148, WHICH PISSES ME OFF AS THEY ARE FCC MANDATED MUST CARRY CHANNELS THAT DISH PUTS ON OBSCURE ORBITAL SLOTS. I ASSUME IT'S LEGAL TO DO SO, CHECK OUT THIS LINK?

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pi.htm )] = PUBLIC INTEREST CHANNEL LIST BY SAT. ORBITAL LOCATION, CHECK IT OUT!!!

SORRY FOR THE LACK OF CLARITY... I NEED CHANNELS 9402, 9405, 9408, & 9414!!! ALL FOUR ARE ON 61.5 BUT ONLY TWO ARE ON 148. THESE ARE ALL FCC MANDATED PUBLIC INTEREST CHANNELS SO THE INSTALL AND HARDWARE ARE AT NO CHARGE FOR ME. SO FROM MY POINT OF VIEW COST IS NOT AN ISSUE, BUT PICTURE QUALITY, RELIABILITY, ETC... IS PARAMOUNT. IV'E HAD THREE INSTALLERS OUT TO THE HOUSE AND THEY KEEP TRYING DIFFERENT THINGS, BUT THEY DON'T REALLY SEEM TO KNOW WHAT THE HECK THEY ARE DOING. I CURRENTLY HAVE A LEGACY QUAD ON MY MAIN DISH 500. THEY INSTALLED A DISH FOR 148, BUT CHANNEL 9414 IS ONLY ON 61.5 AND I REALLY NEED THAT CHANNEL!!! ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.:D

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:04 AM

[(AS A BACK UP I KNOW I CAN GET 148, WHICH WOULD NOT BE OPTIMAL BY ANY MEANS, BUT MAY SUFFICE FOR NOW? SO ONE WAY OR ANOTHER I'LL GET MOST OF THE PUBLIC INTEREST CHANNELS I NEED, BUT NOT ALL OF THEM IF I HAVE TO GO WITH 148, WHICH PISSES ME OFF AS THEY ARE FCC MANDATED MUST CARRY CHANNELS THAT DISH PUTS ON OBSCURE ORBITAL SLOTS. I ASSUME IT'S LEGAL TO DO SO, CHECK OUT THIS LINK?

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pi.htm )] = PUBLIC INTEREST CHANNEL LIST BY SAT. ORBITAL LOCATION, CHECK IT OUT!!!

SORRY FOR THE LACK OF CLARITY... I NEED CHANNELS 9402, 9405, 9408, & 9414!!! ALL FOUR ARE ON 61.5 BUT ONLY TWO ARE ON 148. THESE ARE ALL FCC MANDATED PUBLIC INTEREST CHANNELS SO THE INSTALL AND HARDWARE ARE AT NO CHARGE FOR ME. SO FROM MY POINT OF VIEW COST IS NOT AN ISSUE, BUT PICTURE QUALITY, RELIABILITY, ETC... IS PARAMOUNT. IV'E HAD THREE INSTALLERS OUT TO THE HOUSE AND THEY KEEP TRYING DIFFERENT THINGS, BUT THEY DON'T REALLY SEEM TO KNOW WHAT THE HECK THEY ARE DOING. I CURRENTLY HAVE A LEGACY QUAD ON MY MAIN DISH 500. THEY INSTALLED A DISH FOR 148, BUT CHANNEL 9414 IS ONLY ON 61.5 AND I REALLY NEED THAT CHANNEL!!! ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.:D

PLEASE STOP CAPITALIZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Several suggestions try a 24" dish for 61.5 if you want that satellite. As already suggested use Legacy LNBs with SW21 switches. Your quad can be used for the dish 500 and a Legacy dual fed into a Directv 3x4 multiswitch can provide 4 outputs from 61.5 if you need 4 feeds from that satellite.
When I go to 9414 and then go to menu 6-1-1 my receiver shows that it is coming off 119 transponder 16.
9408 Starfish is listed as coming off 129 9405 Pentagon is on both 148 and 61.5 and 9402 Human Health and Services is also on both 148 and 61.5. You could use a dish 1000 and a dish aimed at 148 with a DPP44 switch to get 4 locations with Legacy compatibility.

I think you need to check on the Free Equipment though I don't believe DISH is required to provide free equipment and installation for PI channels. They only have to turn them on if you have access to the signals.:)

#8 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

THEY ARE FCC MANDATED MUST CARRY CHANNELS THAT DISH PUTS ON OBSCURE ORBITAL SLOTS.

The only thing that is "mandated" is that a certain percentage of total capacity at each slot has to be used by PI channels. The selection of the channels and orbital assignment is left to Dish. Since 61.5 has more capacity than 148 they are required to carry more PI channels at 61.5, hence the difference on what is carried at the two slots. This isn't going to change.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#9 OFFLINE   MURF

MURF

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:01 PM

The only thing that is "mandated" is that a certain percentage of total capacity at each slot has to be used by PI channels. The selection of the channels and orbital assignment is left to Dish. Since 61.5 has more capacity than 148 they are required to carry more PI channels at 61.5, hence the difference on what is carried at the two slots. This isn't going to change.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid ? but does the FCC mandate 4-7% per satellite or could Dish put all of the PI channels on 110 & 119 and still be compliant?

Thanks,
Murf

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

Sorry if this seems like a stupid ? but does the FCC mandate 4-7% per satellite or could Dish put all of the PI channels on 110 & 119 and still be compliant?

Thanks,
Murf

Read what you quoted from Richard King it already answers the question.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:50 PM

To fuel your apparent life or death need, Starfish and Almavision are already on 129W and Educator TV is slated for 129W. I think your biggest obstacle may be the hardware you're choosing to use.

It is the requirement that each satellite carries a percentage of the PIs that they got split between 129W and 148W. If the gummint had specified that they simply be available to subscribers, I'm betting the distribution would have been more favorable. Having everything on 61.5 is probably a remnant from the Voom days.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

Quite possibly, but they would also have to carry the channels on other satellites and that's a waste of bandwidth.

spam firewall