Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DTV VOD Better Than Blue-Ray and HD-DVD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CraigM

CraigM

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

Hi. Since DTV has said alot of their VOD will be HD will that way be better than getting a Blue-Ray or HD-DVD player or a combo unit that plays both? Will the wait times for new releases be the same as the Blue-Ray and HD-DVD new releases that are at the video store? Or will they still be around 30 to 45 days? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

I don't know about the release delay.

But i don't see how it can be "better" than direct from the source player to the HD set.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:05 PM

Hi. Since DTV has said alot of their VOD will be HD will that way be better than getting a Blue-Ray or HD-DVD player or a combo unit that plays both? Will the wait times for new releases be the same as the Blue-Ray and HD-DVD new releases that are at the video store? Or will they still be around 30 to 45 days? Thanks.

I had Comcast with VOD HD movies and I have a BR Player. My answer to your question on PQ is HELL NO. Not to be an arse, just saying that it's not close to BR.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

#4 OFFLINE   Jon D

Jon D

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:36 AM

The picture quality can by definition NOT be better than either HD Disc format because they are recorded in 1080p and 7.1 channel dolby digital. HD VOD will be broadcast at 1080i and 5.1 channel dolby digital audio. The advantage of HD VOD would be that you don't need a 400 to 900 dollar device to play the video on. In many cases you would need a Blu-Ray Disc and HD DVD player to be able to play all the movies right now.

#5 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

Those $400 - $900 players will be $50 - $100 soon enough.

#6 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

I just downloaded Meat The Robensen's last night in D* VDO service.

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:09 PM

I just downloaded Meat The Robensen's last night in D* VDO service.

That's pretty good...

Since "MEET THE ROBINSONS" is about three weeks old in the Theaters...
And the DirecTV VOD service isn't even in beta testing yet..
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

That was kind of my point. No one knows anything yet and we are being asked to compare. Thus my reasoning of the typos.

#9 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:55 PM

That was kind of my point. No one knows anything yet and we are being asked to compare. Thus my reasoning of the typos.

This board definitely needs an emoticon for sarcasm.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#10 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:58 PM

Sorry.. :D

spam firewall