Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

More DirecTV HD coming?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crankin

crankin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

I this has probably been discussed a lot, but what is the latest news on when/ if DirecTV will be expanding their HD lineup (not just locals)? I thought I read somewhere that this fall they would be adding some 70 channels but I don't remember where I saw that. It'd really be nice if they added some channels... Dish currently has a much better selection.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

I this has probably been discussed a lot, but what is the latest news on when/ if DirecTV will be expanding their HD lineup (not just locals)? I thought I read somewhere that this fall they would be adding some 70 channels but I don't remember where I saw that. It'd really be nice if they added some channels... Dish currently has a much better selection.

This has been discussed NUMEROUS times in many threads. Bottom line is nothing new until at least DirecTV 10 or 11 satellites make it to orbit and are operational. D10 is planned to launch sometime in June but D11 is delayed due to SeaLaunch having a failure on their last launch that damaged the launch platform and not schedule to be able to resume launches until 4th QTR this year.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

Welcome to the forums, crankin. :welcome_s

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   fl_dba

fl_dba

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

From DailyTech.com:

DIRECTV today won a federal court case against Time Warner Cable over a TV commercial that claims DIRECT will "soon" have more HD channels compared to cable providers. The case was officially thrown out because Time Warner was unable to show sufficient evidence that DIRECTV's "coming soon" claims were untrue.

The judge who dismissed the case stated that, "[Time Warner] failed to demonstrate any prospect of success in claiming that the capacity claim is unsupported by the report."

Time Warner filed a false-advertising lawsuit against DIRECTV in February, with an injunction against the commercial as one of the stipulations of the suit.

The commercial in question features Christopher Lloyd, star of the Back to the Future trilogy, who says he forgot to tell Marty McFly that DIRECT's service has "all the best channels, and soon, they'll have three times more HD capacity than cable!"

An injunction against DIRECTV would have forced the commercial off of the air. "We are disappointed in the ruling but remain confident that we will prevail at trial. These DIRECTV ads clearly misinterpret the independent repor they cite and, more important, they are factually false," Time Warner Cable said in a statement.

DIRECT currently can offer HD channels to more than 70 percent of households in the United States. The company claims that it will have 100 additional HD stations by the end of 2007.

#5 OFFLINE   IneedCCs

IneedCCs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

My understanding is that there will be more HD channels come September, but don't take that as the gospel, I can't say with certainty that that's the case.

As I understand it, several RSNs will go CONUS in September, and a few channels will become available in HD (CNN, FX, SciFi and USA to name a few). The list of new channels isn't very long, about seven as I recall.

I also heard that STZ and MAX will become available in HD later this year. I believe that FMC and ENC were also on the list I saw.

Can anyone confirm the accuracy of this? I'd also like to know if there are any plans to make channels like HBO2 and MAX2 available in HD. Sure would be nice to get Sundance and IFC in HD, but I haven't heard anything about that happening.

I know that "100" new channels stuff is misleading, as, I'm sure, it includes the RSNs, maybe even locals. In the real world, it looks like about seven new channels in September, which I'll take. If they add STZ and MAX, so much the better. Adding some ancillary premium channels (e.g., MAX2, HBO2) would be icing on the cake. Adding Sundance and/or IFC would really be great, but I don't think that's likely in the foreseeable future. If anyone's heard otherwise, I'd love to hear about it!

#6 OFFLINE   hambonewd

hambonewd

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

7 "real world" channels in september? where do you get that?

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

I don't know about you, but from the news release at CES this appears to be more than "7":

-- A&E                             -- National Geographic
-- Bravo                           -- NFL Network
-- Cartoon Network                 -- SciFi Channel
-- CNN                             -- Speed
-- Food Network                    -- TBS
-- FX                              -- The History Channel
-- HGTV                            -- The Weather Channel
-- MTV                             -- USA Network

And this quote:

To satisfy the insatiable appetite for a greater number of movies in HD, DIRECTV will offer an expanded line-up of HD programming available from all premium movie channels.

Yes, RSNs are counted in the 100, which to me is appropriate as they are national, real channels mostly 24/7.

Unfortunately, the 100 count includes some seasonal channels for sports carriage, but there are planned over 70 channels that are "real" near as I can tell. And that still is awesome, I think. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#8 OFFLINE   hambonewd

hambonewd

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:55 AM

yes i am with you tom

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:22 PM

yes i am with you tom

Here, I thought I was with you. :D

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#10 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

I don't know about you, but from the news release at CES this appears to be more than "7":

-- A&E                             -- National Geographic
-- Bravo                           -- NFL Network
-- Cartoon Network                 -- SciFi Channel
-- CNN                             -- Speed
-- Food Network                    -- TBS
-- FX                              -- The History Channel
-- HGTV                            -- The Weather Channel
-- MTV                             -- USA Network

Of which only six currently exist in HD form. Announcements of plans and delivery of product are two decidedly different animals. The record for CES announcements hasn't been stellar for many who made them at CES the last few years. The current line is that there will be "up to 70".

And this quote:

Yes, RSNs are counted in the 100, which to me is appropriate as they are national, real channels mostly 24/7.

More than half of the HD RSNs don't show more than two events per day. Some go more than a day without an HD event.

#11 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

Bla, bla, bla, same old Harsh response.

So yes the networks mentioned don't exist right at this very moment but those same networks are supposed to have agreements in place to start the HD channels and make them available to D*. You keep saying this same thing over and over and over again. How about you clam up until after D10 go operational and we see what D* does or doesn't do. If D* doesn't deliver on their promise then come back and rag them and I'll be in line right behind you. Why don't you go over to the E* side and keep asking why Charlie doesn't have ALL the had channels that are available now up and available to customer if they have all the bandwidth available to match what D* says they're going to do?

As for your RSN comment, so you're saying it's a waste to have HD RSN's if they show only a couple events per day? I'm sure a large number of sports fans would take exception with your opinion.

#12 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

Of which only six currently exist in HD form. Announcements of plans and delivery of product are two decidedly different animals. The record for CES announcements hasn't been stellar for many who made them at CES the last few years. The current line is that there will be "up to 70".More than half of the HD RSNs don't show more than two events per day. Some go more than a day without an HD event.

I am sincerely not sure why it bothers you SO MUCH that a company makes PLANS - and that they share parts of them with their customers and the public in general.

I really don't get you at all. That plus the fact that you seem to spend so much time in the DirecTV area - being a DISH customer and all.

#13 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

Bla, bla, bla, same old Harsh response.

As for your RSN comment, so you're saying it's a waste to have HD RSN's if they show only a couple events per day? I'm sure a large number of sports fans would take exception with your opinion.

maybe that's why DISH only has 7 or so.

#14 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

I am sincerely not sure why it bothers you SO MUCH that a company makes PLANS - and that they share parts of them with their customers and the public in general.

I think it is great that they make plans. That so many seem to like to quote the (outdated) plans as deliverables is what gets sideways with me.

I really don't get you at all. That plus the fact that you seem to spend so much time in the DirecTV area - being a DISH customer and all.

There aren't enough Dish customers making spectacular claims based on old press releases, I guess. E* has been delivering things without a whole lot of advanced notice lately.

#15 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:50 PM

I think it is great that they make plans. That so many seem to like to quote the (outdated) plans as deliverables is what gets sideways with me.There aren't enough Dish customers making spectacular claims based on old press releases, I guess. E* has been delivering things without a whole lot of advanced notice lately.

How is E* doiing with all the HD lils they promised over a year ago? Seems I read an awful lot in the DISH threads of people looking for their 'promised' locals. I also see lots of posts about the 'shutout' that was pitched against them in MLB, and the lack of RSN-HD offerings as well.

Bottom line is if you want to find fault with EITHER - it's not too difficult.

#16 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

I guess. E* has been delivering things without a whole lot of advanced notice lately.

:lol:

Oh man, those poor dish people. So little choices, so little of a future.

Love my sports and locals in HD

#17 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:34 PM

How is E* doiing with all the HD lils they promised over a year ago?

Dish Network had a goal of more than 50% of the households according to their 2006 CES press release. I think they came very close to reaching that goal if they didn't exceed it. There was also mention of "up to" (there's that nasty term again) 50 markets, but they didn't even come close. They did manage to add the 5 Voom channels as well as ESPN2-HD and Universal HD.

By way of comparison, the DirecTV 2006 CES press release announced, among other things:
  • DirecTV2Go -- not yet
  • A service for portable media players -- is this part of DirecTV2Go?
  • Professional Home Theatre System -- the greatest mystery of our time?
  • On-demand (beginning first quarter 2006) -- Summer '07?
  • R15 "the most advanced DVR available on the market" with interactive capability and ability to deliver on-demand content -- you're joking, right?
  • 36 HD markets in first half of year -- 26 markets
  • HR20 at retail mid 2006 -- missed by a few months
But all that is ancient history. It is a really bad idea to bet the farm on what is announced at CES. It is an even worse thing to brag about things claimed at a bygone CES that have been more recently updated.

#18 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:45 AM

And just to keep things equal and fair, things that Dish announced that haven't happened, either during Charlie Chats, CES or the actual product announcement that I can remember off the top of my head:

- OpenTV interface on the Dish 6000 STB (box even had the logo on the back panel)
- Name Based Recording on the 501/508/510 DVR's
- Superdish needed for HD programming, never mind we'll put all HD on 110/119, no need for wing slots anymore
- The 921 DVR will have DishWire to allow for copying material to D-VHS tape decks
- External disk drive support on the 622

So both companies have a habit of announcing something then either not following through or having it delayed. So should D* customer keep bringing up items like this in the E* forums when subjects similar to this one are being discussed?

#19 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

And just to keep things equal and fair, things that Dish announced that haven't happened, either during Charlie Chats, CES or the actual product announcement that I can remember off the top of my head:

The "terms of engagement" as established by ScoBuck seemed to have been the 2006 CES. I was limiting my discussion to announcements made there for that reason and because it furthers my caveat of not putting too much stock in what it announced at CES.

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm not very happy with the the marketroids who seem to have no problem making announcements that the other departments are having trouble with or physically cannot deliver. I don't mean to slight the engineers, programmers and negotiators as I know their job is made much more difficult by the PR people announcing a delivery dates left and right.

#20 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:04 AM

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm not very happy with the the marketroids who seem to have no problem making announcements that the other departments are having trouble with or physically cannot deliver. I don't mean to slight the engineers, programmers and negotiators as I know their job is made much more difficult by the PR people announcing a delivery dates left and right.

So - based on where this thread started and your statement above, you seem to have inside knowledge regarding the future of D10 satellite...

Apparently since they "are having trouble with or physically can't deliver" you are implying D10 won't make it up. Otherwise, Directv stated when D10 and D11 go up, they will rapidly expand their HD offerring. In addition, not only did D* announce agreements for carriage of these channels, many of the channels themselves have had press releases stating they will launch with D*. So what exactly is D* NOT delivering on when it comes to this threads topic? The dates may change for when D10 and D11 go up - but D* always stated this will happen WHEN D10 goes up and here's when we think that will happen. And the state of D10 is public knowledge.

So based on "rules of engagement" stick to the thread, stick to the topic, and stick to facts when it comes to additional HD channels. Sorry you picked the wrong bus to board - but enjoy your VOOM channels until you can accept D* into your life.

Chris

spam firewall