Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN2 Blacked Out in my "Zone"!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:58 PM

I can't believe it :mad: I have never know ESPN2 to be blacked out before. I called D and the CSR told me that now baseball has 'zones' where games can be blacked out :eek: He had no idea on why or how these "zones' were determined :confused: He could see the game where he was, but it was blacked out for me :rolleyes: And you might know it had to be a Yankees' game :( I think it is awful that a national sports channel can be blacked out :box: The only way I could see the game was on the interactive Mix Channel and that isn't a great way to watch baseball
:nono2: What happened to my Smilies? I must have done something wrong here my Smilies are working in other threads!?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mdmcvay

mdmcvay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:05 PM

I had that problem last year. They said someone local has rights, but no one local was showing the game. It's total BS. I am sick of these blackout areas.
DirecTV HR20-700
Sony KDS-R50XBR1
LG-RC199H DVD
Yamaha HTR-6090
Nintendo Wii
Sony PS3
Xbox 360 Elite w/ HD-DVD
Slingbox Pro

Insignia 32" LCD
HR21-700

#3 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:26 PM

I had that problem last year. They said someone local has rights, but no one local was showing the game. It's total BS. I am sick of these blackout areas.

D knows there was no locals with this game. It isn't D, but I wasn't too clear on if it was MLB only, the Yankees only, or a combination of the two that made this decision :confused:
But I still don't see how they can black out ESPN2? It has never been blacked out on me before!!!!

#4 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:53 AM

Well if you live within Yankee territory there's your answer. They expect you to watch the game on YES.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#5 OFFLINE   Tony1097

Tony1097

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:44 AM

it was blacked out here in the Cleveland area too.. we had to watch it on STO. were the blackouts effective on E* and cable too?

#6 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

Anytime a game is on ESPN or ESPN2 and it's not Sunday Night Baseball if you are in the teams markets that are playing on one of those networks the game will be blacked out for you because your local RSN or local OTA channels have broadcast rights to the game and want you go watch the game on their channel. It has been like this for many years.

#7 OFFLINE   Tony1097

Tony1097

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:29 PM

another problem popped up today when watching the indians game.. just today actually. The Scoreboard on the screen kept telling me we lost 8-6, even though we were up 6-2 in the bottom of 9 with 2 outs... this has to be a problem with my dish.. right? :P

#8 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

another problem popped up today when watching the indians game.. just today actually. The Scoreboard on the screen kept telling me we lost 8-6, even though we were up 6-2 in the bottom of 9 with 2 outs... this has to be a problem with my dish.. right? :P

Yeah Eric Wedge was interfering with your dish......again.....:lol:
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#9 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:31 PM

Anytime a game is on ESPN or ESPN2 and it's not Sunday Night Baseball if you are in the teams markets that are playing on one of those networks the game will be blacked out for you because your local RSN or local OTA channels have broadcast rights to the game and want you go watch the game on their channel. It has been like this for many years.

But I'm NOT in the Yankees' Market :nono2: That's why I got MLB EI in the first place. I could see the games listed on many channels, but everytime I went to one it was blacked out for me :eek2: :mad: And I'm not in the Cleveland market either. So why was I blacked out :confused:

#10 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

But I'm NOT in the Yankees' Market :nono2: That's why I got MLB EI in the first place. I could see the games listed on many channels, but everytime I went to one it was blacked out for me :eek2: :mad: And I'm not in the Cleveland market either. So why was I blacked out :confused:

Where exactly do you live or what's your zip code?

#11 OFFLINE   mince

mince

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

I think MLB is telling ESPN to blackout entire states. I live in NW PA in the Pirates & Indians territory and all Phillies games on ESPN were blacked out last year. The Phillies told me (David Montgomery himself, boy was I surprised when I got the call) that they weren't 100% clear of what the agreement is between MLB & ESPN.

#12 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:50 PM

it was blacked out here in the Cleveland area too.. we had to watch it on STO. were the blackouts effective on E* and cable too?

Cable, because it is confined to the area it's cables reach, instead of ZIP code, has different blackouts thatn D* or E* which are "redlined" by ZIP code.

But E* will generally have more unresolved blackouts, because they don't pony up as much dough for RSN coverage.

As to cable VS D*, sometimes one will have it while the other won't....especially if you're on the edge of the cable co's territory.
....Not Purchased.

#13 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

Where exactly do you live or what's your zip code?

I get the Reds and the Pirates for baseball. Those are the two teams that I am in their market. I was thinking when the Yankees and Indians were playing that maybe I was blacked out because it wouldn't be impossible for me to get to Cleveland to watch a game. In fact when my husband and I were visiting some of his relatives we did go to some Indians games.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...