Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VOD, bandwidth and your ISP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:39 AM

I just read an interesting article by Jim Louderback over at PC Mag.

It is not a new article, but it does bring up something I had not heard before:

"It turns out that AT&T's version of Net neutrality is a chimera. Why? Because it specifically omits HD video."

The article further says: "Yes, AT&T will guarantee that for text and photos, but when it comes to high-definition video, AT&T reserves the right to restrict what you watch. That means AT&T can prioritize its own bundle of HD channels, preventing other HD content from flowing smoothly down those pipes that you're already paying for."

This could have a big impact on D*'s VOD.
It may not impact AT&T users because of the existing relationship with the old Bellsouth, which may or may not continue.

But, it could have an effect with ISPs that don't have a relationship with or are competitors with D*.

Here is the link to the article:
http://www.pcmag.com...,2102934,00.asp

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

chimera?

#3 OFFLINE   vollmey

vollmey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:48 AM

Nah, I download HD movies from Microsoft through the 360, if it came from D* or Apple or whatever, data is data. The only thing they might do is limit the download sizes and of course the total bandwidth a month you get. The problem is your affecting a bunch of other groups when you start making that kind of business decision.

The thing I will interested in is how well d* handles the bandwidth to us the customer. Mircrosoft struggled with that, a movie took 6-10 hrs. at the start of there service.

I'm curious on how well this will work out. Looking foward to VOD though.
Dave

#4 OFFLINE   thxultra

thxultra

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

If AT&T starts limiting bandwith on d* VOD I will plan on jumping ship to comcast for internet and phone. I can't ever see my self going to u-verse with thier bandwith issues. They can't even run 2 hd streems yuck.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

If AT&T starts limiting bandwith on d* VOD I will plan on jumping ship to comcast for internet and phone. I can't ever see my self going to u-verse with thier bandwith issues. They can't even run 2 hd streems yuck.

Don't be too sure about Comcast... there are reports, that Comcast has started again to "enforce" their "unknwon" bandwith caps.

As more and more services like IPTV, VOD, and other services that use the broadband... these issues are going to start to be front page news... and the issues of Net neutrality are definently going to get moved up to the front burner.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:14 AM

I just read an interesting article by Jim Louderback over at PC Mag.

It is not a new article, but it does bring up something I had not heard before:

"It turns out that AT&T's version of Net neutrality is a chimera. Why? Because it specifically omits HD video."

The article further says: "Yes, AT&T will guarantee that for text and photos, but when it comes to high-definition video, AT&T reserves the right to restrict what you watch. That means AT&T can prioritize its own bundle of HD channels, preventing other HD content from flowing smoothly down those pipes that you're already paying for."

This could have a big impact on D*'s VOD.
It may not impact AT&T users because of the existing relationship with the old Bellsouth, which may or may not continue.

But, it could have an effect with ISPs that don't have a relationship with or are competitors with D*.

Here is the link to the article:
http://www.pcmag.com...,2102934,00.asp

What you're talking about is large scale QOS of which I can't imagine AT&T spending the time and resources to identify HD content and act in such a way.

Data is data, 1's and 0's. DTV's VOD will probably work like a progressive download so it won't matter since you probably won't "stream" the content in real time over your BB connection.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#7 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

What you're talking about is large scale QOS of which I can't imagine AT&T spending the time and resources to identify HD content and act in such a way.

Data is data, 1's and 0's. DTV's VOD will probably work like a progressive download so it won't matter since you probably won't "stream" the content in real time over your BB connection.

I don't think the article says they "would" but that they "could".

Also, don't underestimate the amount a company would spend to put a rival at a competitive disadvantage.

The main issue and most likely to have a short term effect is the bandwidth limitations that can and are being placed on broadband subscribers.

#8 OFFLINE   vollmey

vollmey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

I don't think the article says they "would" but that they "could".

Also, don't underestimate the amount a company would spend to put a rival at a competitive disadvantage.

The main issue and most likely to have a short term effect is the bandwidth limitations that can and are being placed on broadband subscribers.

They can't determine what the data is to hurt a so called rival. It is once again 1's and 0's.

It's not going to happen, they can put as much effort and money as they want into destroying a rival. Keep in mind, that along with D* you now have Apple jumping into this world and Microsoft has been putting up stuff for the 360 and I've heard there going to expand it. D* is small time compared to the big boys that are getting into this field.
Dave

#9 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

They can't determine what the data is to hurt a so called rival. It is once again 1's and 0's.

It's not going to happen, they can put as much effort and money as they want into destroying a rival. Keep in mind, that along with D* you now have Apple jumping into this world and Microsoft has been putting up stuff for the 360 and I've heard there going to expand it. D* is small time compared to the big boys that are getting into this field.

I suppose AT&T could look at the source location or file extension and QOS based on that. IF they decided to do that, they'd create a BIG RED X on their back and a few good law suits regardless of if "they could do it" or not.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

spam firewall