Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD locals not in HD....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

While watching Today this morning the show was in HD then commercial with the side bars comes on. Back to Today and it's got the bars. What is going on? Is someone physically flipping a switch to toggle SD or HD at the local station?

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:24 AM

While watching Today this morning the show was in HD then commercial with the side bars comes on. Back to Today and it's got the bars. What is going on? Is someone physically flipping a switch to toggle SD or HD at the local station?

Probably yes....

#3 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

It also depends on the camera they are using. If the network is broadcasting the bars, still could be HD with an older narrow field camera. Many commercails are still shot in SD and narrow screen.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:28 AM

IIRC, Mark, you're in the OKC market. I know that no Tulsa station has switched to HD news coverage and I don't believe that any OKC station has gone to HD either. Most national commercials, and all local commercials, are shot in 4:3 aspect ratio at this time, but national advertisers are starting to switch to 16:9.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

IIRC, Mark, you're in the OKC market. I know that no Tulsa station has switched to HD news coverage and I don't believe that any OKC station has gone to HD either. Most national commercials, and all local commercials, are shot in 4:3 aspect ratio at this time, but national advertisers are starting to switch to 16:9.

THE Today show is in HD. National morning news

#6 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:45 AM

Most likely your local NBC station had a local commercial and turned HD off to air the commercial and forgot to "flip the switch" and turn the HD feed back on.

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

Most likely your local NBC station had a local commercial and turned HD off to air the commercial and forgot to "flip the switch" and turn the HD feed back on.

Yep. Still happens a lot. Shoulda seen how it was 5 years ago. I had 3 local station affiliates phone numbers on speed dial back in the day.

"Dangit! They didn't go back to HD after commercial during Alias again....honey, get me the phone!" :D

Luckily most of my affiliates don't screw up anymore.

#8 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

It looks like all my local affiliates have automated this process now.

A year ago, however, it was clearly all manual, and it was common for a prime time show to come back from a commercial in SD and then flip to HD anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes later when the technician in the control room remembered to flip the switch!

#9 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:15 PM

Yep. Still happens a lot. Shoulda seen how it was 5 years ago. I had 3 local station affiliates phone numbers on speed dial back in the day.

"Dangit! They didn't go back to HD after commercial during Alias again....honey, get me the phone!" :D

Luckily most of my affiliates don't screw up anymore.

Haha, that's funny. Gotta love speed dial. Yeah, fortunately this kind of problem doesn't happen very often now a days.

#10 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

I see this a lot with locals. CBS in Reno is particularly bad for it, but NBC has run whole episodes in SD letterboxed on their HD station here. The main problem comes up when they switch on the banner at the bottom with the time/temp, and what is coming up on the news. Then the banner goes away, but the picture stays SD and the sound stays 2.0. Very unprofessional, and very annoying. I remember trying to watch the Unit on election night. Man, 2 minutes of HD 5.1, broken up with 15 minutes of SD, 2.0, to show election results at the bottom!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#11 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:02 PM

Did it happen in the break after one of the anchors said, "This is Today on NBC"? If so, then it was a local break. I used to work as a Master Control operator at a NBC station, and the "This is Today" verbal cue for a local break dates all the way back to day one of the program, in 1952. Even with automation systems and computerization, the Today show hews to its long history by giving the verbal cue for every local break.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#12 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:44 AM

I see this a lot with locals. CBS in Reno is particularly bad for it, but NBC has run whole episodes in SD letterboxed on their HD station here. The main problem comes up when they switch on the banner at the bottom with the time/temp, and what is coming up on the news. Then the banner goes away, but the picture stays SD and the sound stays 2.0. Very unprofessional, and very annoying. I remember trying to watch the Unit on election night. Man, 2 minutes of HD 5.1, broken up with 15 minutes of SD, 2.0, to show election results at the bottom!

I just don't know why they would have election results crawling on the HD feed. I can understand it being on the SD feed but there is no point to scroll them on the HD feed. If you wanted to see the results you would switch to the SD feed.

#13 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

I just don't know why they would have election results crawling on the HD feed. I can understand it being on the SD feed but there is no point to scroll them on the HD feed. If you wanted to see the results you would switch to the SD feed.

FCC rules dictate that they must do this for the "public interest". Not all stations follow this though and I'm glad my local CBS doesn't drop out of HD to tell me it's really windy out or raining hard.

spam firewall