Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EI Stats/Scores Ridiculously Slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:19 AM

How is it that D can't keep the stats, standings or scores they provide through their interactive service timely? In many cases the score will be a full inning behind the game you're watching.
The standings have been out of order more than once
I wonder if anyone at D looks at their service and says this is "acceptable"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:05 AM

I am sure it is not DirecTV that is keeping track of the game stats..
They are probably getting them from one of the many different stat tracking sources.

So if they are behind, then DirecTV might be behind...
Especially if say a server or what ever connectivity they have between DirecTV and the Stat source is down or experiencing issues.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:11 AM

Earl,
There is no major stat tracking service that is that far behind. People like SportsTicker, Stats, etc. are generally a few seconds behind. Go to any internet site that has baseball and you can see just how bad D is at this service.

If it's a server, connectivity problem it has been there since they launched the service and hasn't been fixed.

The only service slower on getting score updates than D's EI is waiting for your morning paper.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

Earl,
There is no major stat tracking service that is that far behind. People like SportsTicker, Stats, etc. are generally a few seconds behind. Go to any internet site that has baseball and you can see just how bad D is at this service.

If it's a server, connectivity problem it has been there since they launched the service and hasn't been fixed.

The only service slower on getting score updates than D's EI is waiting for your morning paper.

I am aware that most of the sites are not that far behind... but unless we know exactly which service DirecTV is accessing...

Regardless.. it does need to speed up.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

I've found that the results become stale if you sit on the same channel for a while. Change to a different game, return to the one you are watching, then take a look at the stats.

#6 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

I will say that the game mix channel is an awesome resource. Baseball, unlike football doesn't require the constant 'eye', and it is actually pretty easy to follow 8 games at once. I like it.

#7 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

ScoBuck,

I would disagree with you on that quite a bit. Baseball requires much more attention than football to the hardcore fan. We're watching every pitch for location, movement, etc.
Game Mix is fine if you're tracking fantasy players or bets...but to the purist it's just a place to easily pick your game.
It's a nice service, don't get me wrong...but I'd be much happier if they got the stats up to date.

#8 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:09 PM

You know I agee - I am a hardocre fan - I watch the Yanks when they are on, the mix channel when they are not (unless there is a particular game I have interest in. I find the mix channel great for that.

#9 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

You know I agee - I am a hardocre fan - I watch the Yanks when they are on, the mix channel when they are not (unless there is a particular game I have interest in. I find the mix channel great for that.

I've been told on early May things will improve quite a bit....the stats do come from another source. It's a bit more complicated then how a website would take a stats feed from one of the stats providers and post it online. In this case it has to go through a few more hoops for it to make it onto your screen through that scores and stats application. But some technological improvements will expedite that process some in early May and other solutions are also under review.

Thanks for your patience

#10 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:41 PM

I've been told on early May things will improve quite a bit....the stats do come from another source. It's a bit more complicated then how a website would take a stats feed from one of the stats providers and post it online. In this case it has to go through a few more hoops for it to make it onto your screen through that scores and stats application. But some technological improvements will expedite that process some in early May and other solutions are also under review.

Thanks for your patience

:lol: The first time I tried using it I thought it didn't work because it was so slow loading up. When I finally got it I'm afraid I wasn't paying too much attention to how up to date it was :rolleyes:

#11 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:38 AM

Thanks for your patience

Satellite,
I assume you work for D. I appreciate your response. Sometimes we all wonder if D even knows of the issues.

#12 OFFLINE   jdoug

jdoug

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:51 AM

I like the mix channel. I would really like it in HD.

spam firewall